• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wright State 1/8/12 2 PM CST

Started by vu84v2, January 08, 2012, 08:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

After a good road win on Friday, this game is really an opportunity for Valpo.   If they can come out and play a solid 40 minutes and have more players hit their shots, a 3-0 conference road start is a real possibility!

My guess is that will happen.

Valpo 67
Wright State 63

valpo04 edit: changed CDT to CST in title.

valpopal

Valpo is a 1-point underdog, but I'm optimistic the team has momentum. I'm also hoping we won't have to depend on Bogan shooting lights out to keep us in the game, as he did in Detroit, and others will score a bit more.

Valpo         65
Wright St.  60

covufan

Another close one - too close for comfort.

Valpo - 71
WSU  - 70

We also need Detroit to come alive this afternoon!

crusaderjoe

Too much energy spent against Butler...the train keeps a rollin'.  69-66 VU.

valporun

I hope VU gets a good win this game.

Valpo 72
WSU 66

Also, what do you guys say the over/under is on number of times the WAKE feed takes a dump during this game? I put it at 7 times, since it is Sunday, and the Bible has an affinity for the number 7. It crapped out what 5-6 times on Friday night. Shameful, if you're the "network home" of Valpo basketball.

vu84v2

No play-by-play yet on the broadcast.  Interestingly though, I think that Wright State's public address announcer is Brian Doyle-Murray.

historyman

Whoever is doing the color commentary for the CW channel in Dayton is talking almost as much as the play-by-play guy and using a lot of words to say very little.

wh

Where has the WSU color commentator been that pronounces Valpo Val-pa-RI-so?  Even the national announcers have gotten the name right for a few years now.   

wh

At half:
We have to find a way of containing Battle in the 2nd half.  He only averages 6 ppg.
Far too many turnovers and missed 3's.
If we can clean those things up a little, we should be alright. 

vu84v2

Shoulds be up by a lot more than 2...too many missed FTs and 3s

The CW Dayton color guy sounds like a "too chatty" Dan Marino

wh

Stop shooting, Jay when we are in a must score position.  You are in a multi-game shooting slump.

wh

With 6:44 to go and down by 7, I'd rather see Ryan start chucking off-balance 3's than anyone else continuing to brick shot after shot.

okinawatyphoon

And we took a beating! WSU 73 Valpo 55.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpofan56

Edwards is awful.  As soon as Kevin got in foul trouble the game was over.

Valpo2010

I dunno what was worse, our play, or those annoying WSU announcers...

wh

Quote from: Valpo2010 on January 08, 2012, 04:23:32 PM

What, you don't like the word "irregardless?"  ;)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2012, 04:31:49 PM

or the 45 second shot clock foul?

valpopal

Valpo is easy to figure out this year: as has been the pattern most of this season, Ryan and Kevin are dependable, but we need a good third scoring threat on the floor to win. Will supplied that scoring threat in the Detroit game, but he only scored 1 point tonight! Jay (0-7 from the 3-point line) and Matt did not offer the third scoring threat in this game either.

Plus, I still can't figure out why Boggs is starting: 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 turnovers, and 2 fouls. We might as well have been playing 4 against 5 for the 23 minutes he was on the court. I think Boggs can be good in the future, but he hasn't earned a starting role yet.

valpospartan

Or "you know" every 10th word?

valporun

Quote from: valpospartan on January 08, 2012, 05:53:56 PM

Or "you know" every 10th word?

At least they weren't proclaiming an all hail of "The Great and Powerful Tebow of Oz", or anything more annoying.

wh

a triumph of good (Tebow) over evil (Big Ben the molester)...

BigDWSU

Those weren't our announcers.  The game was broadcasted on the CW and their announcers were used for the HLN broadcast as well.  Chris Collins is our primary announcer for games and he usually has a former Raider call games with him.  Most HL fans like Chris Collins.  He calls games pretty evenly.  The CW announcers were a joke.

bbtds

Since Valpo was ahead at halftime that means we were only "miserable" for the 2nd half. Doesn't that make you feel better that the Crusaders weren't "miserable" for the whole game? 

Mjj

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2012, 03:23:58 PM
Stop shooting, Jay when we are in a must score position.  You are in a multi-game shooting slump.

Did it ever occur to anyone on this board that complaining about player performance doesn't help? If you watched the game you would notice that Bogan did not attempt a single shot, Harris attempted only 1 in the first half and maybe there was a reason? The plays being called were for the ball to go down low every possession. That play will not work 100% of the time. Harris' shooting came when we were down and really needed some outside shooting. They didn't fall but he attempted was he was told to by the coach. Same for Kenney.. He attempted to do what he was told. Quit criticizing players when they are simply following the orders dictated to them. Maybe the shooters would have a better rhythm if we actually had plays for them to shoot? It also doesn't help to have 3 guards on the floor that won't attempt a shot which would to force the defense to open up under the basket. We don't make adjustments to the defense until too late. Slump or not a shooter will never get into a flow if they don't shoot. If we were getting the scores down low the forced three's wouldn't be attempted?  Kenney made one and then next possesion didnt get the ball back? One play they had Harris bring the ball up and Buggs spot in the corner? Isnt that backwards?  Quit calling out players when you dont know what they have been told by the coaching staff.

mj

QuoteDid it ever occur to anyone on this board that complaining about player performance doesn't help?

Help what? We got the crap kicked out of us yesterday by a team we could have beat. This is a message board where we can vent our frustration about our team. The whole idea that we should remain positive at all times is ridiculous.
I believe that we will win.