• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

How to Fix "THE MESS," aka Lady 'Saders Hoops

Started by Crusader03, January 20, 2012, 03:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

I write this message knowing full well that posting these dissenting opinions may not be popular and TPTB (the powers that be) will likely up their security of my messages.  It needs to be said, however, despite the gag order.  There are ways to fix this program...I'm hopeful that ml will read this post and institute these measures immediately.  I will also pm him and if anyone has his cell number or home phone  number (or even a home address) I'd be glad to contact him personally.  Here are the principles we need to execute.

1) "When you foreclose on a home, you gotta clean house."  It's obvious that some trash needs to be taken to the curb.  As valporun suggested in another thread, maybe Kirby is problem numero uno?  When you watch things unfold, it's pretty obvious that there is dissension in the ranks and it makes you wonder who is causing the mutiny.  We need to strip all players of their scholarships and remove the assistant coaches...clearly they are not playing for Keith and we have to have the guts to remove the problems.  Let Keith start with a clean slate without a bunch of millstones around his neck.

2) "Money talks"  Cut funding to the women's program by 75%.  No play, no pay.  Take that money and funnel it into the men's program.  Maybe if the ladies didn't have so many warm-ups and other gear, trips out of country, lockerooms, etc, they would regain the hunger they need to be a legit D1 contender.  And before some pencil-pusher steps in screaming "Title IX! Title IX!" I'm already thinking that we cut funding to men's track (or one of the other less important sports) to even things out.

3) "If you build it, don't let them play"  Use the new hospital site to build a brand spanking new ARC (funded in part by the newfound money from the ladies program, perhaps?)...then, make it a men's basketball ONLY facility.  Make the Lady 'Saders EARN the right to play in the ARCII.  Use the old ARC main gym as a space for new dorms or a foreign students rec center.  Girls can still use hilltop.  When they are playing home games in Hilltop or one of the local high schools, do you think it might motivate them to get this program turned around?  Sho 'nuff!

If we take these drastic measures, I seriously believe our Lady 'Saders will be an NCAA tourney team in short order.  Keith has been discouraged by the toxic mix on the squad, but with new players, new assistant coaches, and a new hunger things will turn around.  What say you VU fans??  Do we have the guts to go for the glory??

Back to your regularly scheduled newspeak  :-X

valpo4life

Ok, you cannot just cut all over your players. You would not be able to field a team at all for a year or two.  The best thing to do at this point is to bring in a brand new coaching staff.  Anyone remember Coach Steve Bruce from a couple of years ago when the program was doing very well? He could be a good person to bring back into the program.  He knows what Valpo is all about and has had success in building a program at IUSB. He has taken them from being 8-22 in 2006 to being 21-9 this past season, also raising the team GPA from 2.46 to 3.42 (info via IUSB athletics site).  Just throwing this possibility out there.

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo4life on January 20, 2012, 04:22:31 PM
Ok, you cannot just cut all over your players. You would not be able to field a team at all for a year or two.  The best thing to do at this point is to bring in a brand new coaching staff.  Anyone remember Coach Steve Bruce from a couple of years ago when the program was doing very well? He could be a good person to bring back into the program.  He knows what Valpo is all about and has had success in building a program at IUSB. He has taken them from being 8-22 in 2006 to being 21-9 this past season, also raising the team GPA from 2.46 to 3.42 (info via IUSB athletics site).  Just throwing this possibility out there.

Sure, you could, if you recruited 12 new players.

Steve Bruce sounds like a great fit for the associate head coach role under Keith.

Good thoughts!

KL31NY

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 03:29:23 PM
I write this message knowing full well that posting these dissenting opinions may not be popular and TPTB (the powers that be) will likely up their security of my messages.  It needs to be said, however, despite the gag order.  There are ways to fix this program...I'm hopeful that ml will read this post and institute these measures immediately.  I will also pm him and if anyone has his cell number or home phone  number (or even a home address) I'd be glad to contact him personally.  Here are the principles we need to execute.

1) "When you foreclose on a home, you gotta clean house."  It's obvious that some trash needs to be taken to the curb.  As valporun suggested in another thread, maybe Kirby is problem numero uno?  When you watch things unfold, it's pretty obvious that there is dissension in the ranks and it makes you wonder who is causing the mutiny.  We need to strip all players of their scholarships and remove the assistant coaches...clearly they are not playing for Keith and we have to have the guts to remove the problems.  Let Keith start with a clean slate without a bunch of millstones around his neck.

2) "Money talks"  Cut funding to the women's program by 75%.  No play, no pay.  Take that money and funnel it into the men's program.  Maybe if the ladies didn't have so many warm-ups and other gear, trips out of country, lockerooms, etc, they would regain the hunger they need to be a legit D1 contender.  And before some pencil-pusher steps in screaming "Title IX! Title IX!" I'm already thinking that we cut funding to men's track (or one of the other less important sports) to even things out.

3) "If you build it, don't let them play"  Use the new hospital site to build a brand spanking new ARC (funded in part by the newfound money from the ladies program, perhaps?)...then, make it a men's basketball ONLY facility.  Make the Lady 'Saders EARN the right to play in the ARCII.  Use the old ARC main gym as a space for new dorms or a foreign students rec center.  Girls can still use hilltop.  When they are playing home games in Hilltop or one of the local high schools, do you think it might motivate them to get this program turned around?  Sho 'nuff!

If we take these drastic measures, I seriously believe our Lady 'Saders will be an NCAA tourney team in short order.  Keith has been discouraged by the toxic mix on the squad, but with new players, new assistant coaches, and a new hunger things will turn around.  What say you VU fans??  Do we have the guts to go for the glory??

OK, this is enough to break my personal boycott. Shouldn't need to say it, but here goes: is this worth our time? Is any institution on this planet going to drop even just one of these ideas. Interesting thoughts, but w/ all due respect, c'mon man
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

A bit drastic there C3. You won't recruite anyone at all, and you'll break the spirit of anyone that does come along as they'll no doubt, all be underclassmen. We have a really nice core group of players here. I would go as far to say though, of the players that haven't contributed this season, it's put up or shut up and move on time. We certainly need a change, but no university in their right mind would implement a fraction of what you suggest, as the reality is, most ladies basketball programs, unless they're elite, are a drag on the athletic budget. A lot can be done here, and should be looked at, at season's end, but it isn't fair to punish the players that are out there every night giving it all they have - they aren't the problem. As I've said many times, you can't possibly compete at this level with 6 - sometimes 7 players. I don't care how elite of a squad you are - it doesn't happen - not now - not ever!

Crusader03

Quote from: KL31NY on January 20, 2012, 04:29:18 PM

OK, this is enough to break my personal boycott. Shouldn't need to say it, but here goes: is this worth our time? Is any institution on this planet going to drop even just one of these ideas. Interesting thoughts, but w/ all due respect, c'mon man

Perhaps you should actually explain why my ideas are wrong instead of just giving your classic "c'mon man."

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on January 20, 2012, 04:41:52 PM
A bit drastic there C3. You won't recruite anyone at all, and you'll break the spirit of anyone that does come along as they'll no doubt, all be underclassmen. We have a really nice core group of players here. I would go as far to say though, of the players that haven't contributed this season, it's put up or shut up and move on time. We certainly need a change, but no university in their right mind would implement a fraction of what you suggest, as the reality is, most ladies basketball programs, unless they're elite, are a drag on the athletic budget. A lot can be done here, and should be looked at, at season's end, but it isn't fair to punish the players that are out there every night giving it all they have - they aren't the problem. As I've said many times, you can't possibly compete at this level with 6 - sometimes 7 players. I don't care how elite of a squad you are - it doesn't happen - not now - not ever!

Good thoughts as usual, jack...I'm just so darn fed up with this whole mess!

jack

Yeah, me too. If this old fart can get out there and help, I would. It's tough to watch. These ladies need support, and direction. let's hope they get it tomorrow night. they're 3 players away from really competing. A shame we have that and then some sitting and watching like the rest of us.

cornonthe

Crusader03...first...you can only bring in like 6 new scholarships per year(Or whatever the NCAA rules are on this). Sure, you could field a team, but half would be walkons...talk about terrible team. Second...it's the coaches job to make everyone believe in him/her and his/her system...that's Freeman's failure. With that said, getting rid of the leader troublemakers(if there are any)is also a good plan. Maybe a mixture of the two??? Anyway, I just mostly wanted to say that you have to adhere to NCAA scholarship rules when wholesale ridding the team of an entire roster...and you didn't take that into account...

KL31NY

Two points. (1) jack's thoughts are close enough to the explanations i would have given, so i let his words stand above any extra i could give (2) my "classic c'mon man?" never used it on here before, i've only picked it up from NFL Sunday Countdown

Above all, I'm w/ you guys about being frustrated with the results of the year. Gene Hackman and co. might make a short bench look good in "Hoosiers," but it has not been as pretty in reality.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

crusaderjoe

I'll take "Activities that may lead to an inquiry from the Office for Civil Rights" for $500.00 Alex.

historyman

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 03:29:23 PMIt needs to be said, however, despite the gag order.  There are ways to fix this program...I'm hopeful that ml will read this post and institute these measures immediately.  I will also pm him and if anyone has his cell number or home phone  number (or even a home address) I'd be glad to contact him personally.  Here are the principles we need to execute.

Crusader03 goes overboard a lot but did you really gag him? What kind of gagging was it if he still posts?

Crusader03

Quote from: cornonthe on January 20, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
Crusader03...first...you can only bring in like 6 new scholarships per year(Or whatever the NCAA rules are on this). Sure, you could field a team, but half would be walkons...talk about terrible team. Second...it's the coaches job to make everyone believe in him/her and his/her system...that's Freeman's failure. With that said, getting rid of the leader troublemakers(if there are any)is also a good plan. Maybe a mixture of the two??? Anyway, I just mostly wanted to say that you have to adhere to NCAA scholarship rules when wholesale ridding the team of an entire roster...and you didn't take that into account...

Ok, so let's cut our losses with 6 of the instigators and open up six s'ships to use on this new era of Lady 'Saders hoops.

Also, I would like to mention that I do not think ValpoHoops should be cut loose from his position...I believe he mentioned he was a team manager or film guy or personal assistant or something...I've always enjoyed his posts and would like to see him stay on with the program and as an "insider" on this board.

Crusader03

Quote from: historyman on January 20, 2012, 05:48:11 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 03:29:23 PMIt needs to be said, however, despite the gag order.  There are ways to fix this program...I'm hopeful that ml will read this post and institute these measures immediately.  I will also pm him and if anyone has his cell number or home phone  number (or even a home address) I'd be glad to contact him personally.  Here are the principles we need to execute.

Crusader03 goes overboard a lot but did you really gag him? What kind of gagging was it if he still posts?

Gag order=stern warning...I was not literally gagged.

valpo04

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 06:20:03 PM

Warned of what, exactly? Inquiring minds would love to know.

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo04 on January 20, 2012, 06:25:38 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 06:20:03 PM

Warned of what, exactly? Inquiring minds would love to know.

I'm not sure what else a pm about "trolling" would indicate?

Crusader03

Sorry folks...just re-read the pm...I was not warned.  I was asked to quit posting in my humorous style...i understand that is different and I 'pologize to valpo04 for misconstruing his thoughts.

Can we get back on topic now? 

valporun

I can agree with the first suggestion in terms of looking at/evaluating the coaching staff, but #2 and #3 have some major issues. You also can't get rid of every player, because not all of them were a problem. Why punish the players for some things they have zero control over?  In #2, you can't take funding away from a sport that doesn't bring in money, so why you're wanting to take money away from a track program that can't bring in money because they don't have a track to host meets on is beyond me. You're trying to punish a team that has already been neglected long enough, why punish them further? In #3, there's no point in having two separate basketball facilities or kicking one program completely off-campus, and make them earn the right to go back there, since they'd never make any money to support moving back, after having to pay rental fees for whatever high school gym they went to that wouldn't meet NCAA guidelines for what the floor needs to be.

I don't know guys, this whole post by 03 reminds us of previous posts that were made by jj/setshot about the football team. Like I said, I could support what he said about the coaching staff, but everything else has way too many flaws and things are sounding like sending women's basketball to the death penalty.

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on January 20, 2012, 06:48:13 PM

I don't know guys, this whole post by 03 reminds us of previous posts that were made by jj/setshot about the football team. Like I said, I could support what he said about the coaching staff, but everything else has way too many flaws and things are sounding like sending women's basketball to the death penalty.

Well, at this point, I think that has to be considered....do we really want to continue down this road with this team? 

valporun

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 10:55:28 PM

Well, at this point, I think that has to be considered....do we really want to continue down this road with this team? 

We don't have a choice right now. Also, the girls who can play are doing the best they can with what they can do. I won't doubt that we don't see a couple of players transfer after the season, but I'm not closing the book on the season, unlike Crusader03 who is begging to be the women's basketball version of setshot. BOOK IT!!!

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on January 20, 2012, 10:59:42 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on January 20, 2012, 10:55:28 PM

We don't have a choice right now. Also, the girls who can play are doing the best they can with what they can do. I won't doubt that we don't see a couple of players transfer after the season, but I'm not closing the book on the season, unlike Crusader03 who is begging to be the women's basketball version of setshot. BOOK IT!!!

I don't want to be done with women's hoops...I want to rebuild with Keith from the ground up.  There is a big difference between setshot and me.  And anyways, other than jack, I'd say I'm about as passionate as it gets when it comes to the lady 'Saders. 

jack

Definitely want to continue with this team, just down a different road. It's time. I think it's obvious who will be able to contribute until year's end and beyond. Outside of Scott, we have players on the sidelines that need to be gone. An injury, that doesn't require surgery, or major rehab, but still keeps you out an entire season, should tell you something. Gick had to leave as she wasn't going to improve. We have 3 other players, that, should be considered as well. I spoke to officials and other folks that are connected with Butler, Ball State, and Cleveland State. Ironically, we beat 2 of the 3 teams, and still, they are absolutely baffled with what's going on here at Valpo. Like me, they have never seen, or heard of a team in D1 that's tried to compete for this long with 6 or 7 available players. As others suggest, can we not have at least looked around for some walk on help? I can't believe, unless I missed something, that no one has redshirted yet. I'm hoping this is indicative that it's already been decided that changes are coming next season.

valpo64

To put it in simple words...after reading post after post regarding the women's  program, it sure looks like the probelm is Coach Freeman and his staff...able to recruit good players but then doesn't know how to mold them into a cohesive team, short handed or whatever, his program doesn't seem to be effective.  After all, doesn't the head coach hire his assistants?  "C'mon man" is the proper term...let's get real folks.

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo64 on January 21, 2012, 12:12:33 PM

To put it in simple words...after reading post after post regarding the women's  program, it sure looks like the probelm is Coach Freeman and his staff...able to recruit good players but then doesn't know how to mold them into a cohesive team, short handed or whatever, his program doesn't seem to be effective.  After all, doesn't the head coach hire his assistants?  "C'mon man" is the proper term...let's get real folks.

Looks like KL31NY has a second handle to spread his venom....nothing to see here folks.

valpo04

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 21, 2012, 12:25:41 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on January 21, 2012, 12:12:33 PM

Looks like KL31NY has a second handle to spread his venom....nothing to see here folks.

Incorrect, and why can you start a thread that calls the players and assistant coaches "toxic", but as soon as someone mentions Freeman it is venom?