• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball Coach

Started by setshot, April 04, 2012, 10:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Any word on Keith's replacement? A few of the old alums here in SC are speculating that Dana Shaw will get the job. All in the family you know. Seriously,any word yet? :-\

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on April 04, 2012, 10:48:24 AM
Any word on Keith's replacement? A few of the old alums here in SC are speculating that Dana Shaw will get the job. All in the family you know. Seriously,any word yet? :-\

You just like the way the word "Nep" sounds when you say it.

Just like the way IU fans like the word "Hep." May he rest in peace.

it's time the baseball, football & women's basketball teams all get fixated on the word "Win."

covufan

I would hope that either ND or Purdue have an assistant ready to take over a team like Valpo.  Those are two programs worth emulating.

valpotx

Caroline McCombs? Candace (White) Whitaker (head coach at UMKC for a few years after assisting VU)? 

I am sure that we will hire a solid assistant from a larger program, but hopefully we get someone who will stay a few years!

Edit: nevermind about Candace, I just found an article that says she accepted an Assistant job at Oklahoma State, leaving UMKC's head coaching job after a 22-12 year.  Caroline is an Assistant at Northwestern.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Candace would be going back to the conference she played her college ball in. She graduated from Texas Tech, and would be going into the spot that was held by the woman who was killed in the plane crash with the head coach. I definitely wish her the best there. UMKC, as we all know, never really supported women's basketball, and she had her rough years. Hope she puts in a good couple of years at Okla St., and moves into another head coaching spot somewhere.

IndyValpo

We are approaching a month with no new coach named.....what gives?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 12, 2012, 09:31:23 AM

that's not so much a surprise, but it doesn't even seem like there are even interviews going on. but i very well could be wrong.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on April 12, 2012, 01:56:50 PM

that's not so much a surprise, but it doesn't even seem like there are even interviews going on. but i very well could be wrong.

Sure, this screams of a situation where we can take our time. It is not like we need someone in to analyze who is returning, how they fit or fill open scholarships...

vu72

I'm sure there is a national search going on just as there has been for every other coach--other than Bryce!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

I admit that I am a little biased having gotten to know Mark Labarbera a little over the last couple of years.  I think that he has shown a high level of competence as the AD of VU and I expect that he is doing his due diligence in vetting the next Women's Basketball Coach and will find someone that is well qualified and suited for the position. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IndyValpo

Quote from: FWalum on April 12, 2012, 02:52:54 PM
I admit that I am a little biased having gotten to know Mark Labarbera a little over the last couple of years.  I think that he has shown a high level of competence as the AD of VU and I expect that he is doing his due diligence in vetting the next Women's Basketball Coach and will find someone that is well qualified and suited for the position. 

I am sure you are correct. Short of waiting for someone in the Final Four I would have thought it would go quicker.  I, of course am not an AD, though I occasionally play one on this board.

KL31NY

I hope they are making some kind of progress. Once everyone came back (save Keith and Kirby of course) from Spring Break, I talked with a few people including Mark. He said the goal was to have a successor named in four weeks. If that's based off Keith's resignation, we're there. If that's based off when I met with him, that deadline is days away.

The sooner we get a coach and set our situation, the better. We shouldn't rush the process to get a coach by tomorrow or anything, but the more time we have left till the end of the year once the new coach is named should be a positive to working through this period and get everyone on the same page heading into the summer.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

Quote from: KL31NY on April 12, 2012, 10:57:24 PM

I hope they are making some kind of progress. Once everyone came back (save Keith and Kirby of course) from Spring Break, I talked with a few people including Mark. He said the goal was to have a successor named in four weeks. If that's based off Keith's resignation, we're there. If that's based off when I met with him, that deadline is days away.

The sooner we get a coach and set our situation, the better. We shouldn't rush the process to get a coach by tomorrow or anything, but the more time we have left till the end of the year once the new coach is named should be a positive to working through this period and get everyone on the same page heading into the summer.

I would have thought we'd be further along in the process right now. I understand it doesn't get the same sense of urgency that the boys program would get, given a similiar situation, but, at some point, this administration, and AD, need to show this university, and these ladies, that they do have significance, and they are working hard to build this program back up. The longer they wait to get someone on board, the smaller the qualified candidates list becomes. It's my understanding that the players themselves don't know any more then we do. What kind of message does that send to them? It's a kin to draft day, we're into the final rounds, and the pickins are getting slim. I felt after what these players had to endure last season, we owed them our undivided support, and would make their coaching staff replacement a top priority. There is much work to be done getting a system in place, working through the current scholarship suituations, piecing this puzzle together, and getting a jump on a game plan for next season. Granted, the new staff can't work with the players as they would like , but, being alllowed to do so early last season due to the China trip was proof that that isn't always an advantage. Getting a grip on the players you have, evaluating the newbies coming in, and defining the roles of each of them, is a tall task, and someone needs to be working on it, NOW! As I mentioned before, If they don't have a plan to get some bigs on board, it's going to be another very long season.

ValpoHoops

There is a women's basketball recruiting period in the spring, this year it's April 20-23 (or thereabouts). That's next weekend. My guess is that there will be a coach in place by then. With only six weeks or so of evaluation periods in a year, a school can't afford to give up a weekend without a coach.

vu72

Not sure what you mean by "the pickins are getting slim".  Do you mean among D1 coaches?  What about D2 or D3?  There are a bunch of great D2 or 3 coaches who would die to get the Valpo job.  Look at Stevens for example.  Came from a D3 position.  I think the problem is the pool and candidates who have applied is too BIG, not too small.  This happened when Dale Carlson was picked for football.  Everybody thought"who will want the Valpo job?" and the reality was--A LOT of people.

Mark LaBarbera knows what he is doing, let's be patient.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 13, 2012, 10:10:21 AM
Not sure what you mean by "the pickins are getting slim".  Do you mean among D1 coaches?  What about D2 or D3?  There are a bunch of great D2 or 3 coaches who would die to get the Valpo job.  Look at Stevens for example.  Came from a D3 position.  I think the problem is the pool and candidates who have applied is too BIG, not too small.  This happened when Dale Carlson was picked for football.  Everybody thought"who will want the Valpo job?" and the reality was--A LOT of people.

Mark LaBarbera knows what he is doing, let's be patient.
Agree completely, I think Mark's hiring record is pretty darn good.  He already knows all the reasons why this should be attacked with urgency.  Continued support is what this forum needs to show for the ladies program through this tough period.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

jack

Quote from: ValpoHoops on April 13, 2012, 10:09:13 AM
There is a women's basketball recruiting period in the spring, this year it's April 20-23 (or thereabouts). That's next weekend. My guess is that there will be a coach in place by then. With only six weeks or so of evaluation periods in a year, a school can't afford to give up a weekend without a coach.

You made my point actually. Someone needs to be on board sooner than later to take advantage of the 4/20-23 period. It's important for due dilligence to run it's course, but taking too long has an adverse affect on these situations. The possition becomes less attractive for possibly the "right" candidate, who could also move on to another opportunity.

setshot

Bucknell has just hired a new women's Bball coach from D3 U of Chicago. He could have been a good fit for VU. Then again,if he had been in the running for both the VU and the BU jobs it would have been,hands down, BU. Nevertheless, where are we in our search? Do we have any candidates? Let's move. :snore:

vu72

Quote from: setshot on April 18, 2012, 09:35:07 AM
Bucknell has just hired a new women's Bball coach from D3 U of Chicago. He could have been a good fit for VU. Then again,if he had been in the running for both the VU and the BU jobs it would have been,hands down, BU. Nevertheless, where are we in our search? Do we have any candidates? Let's move. :snore:

Setshot, you are a riot!  :lol: Nice shot at Valpo!  Of course you don't know what you are talking about and that's what makes it really funny. Bucknell was 5-25 last year in women's hoops and obviously is in a worse spot by far than Valpo.  Both mn and women play in a 4000 seat facilitiy which is much smaller than Valpo but, nonetheless, seeing that Bucky plays on the East Coast, it has to be better, right??   :rotfl: :rotfl:

setshot

Right! Better location, academically more prestigious schools (closer to UC's standards than VU would have been),better pay and blue. Gotcha! Where are we on our search? ???

valpotx

Man, I love popping on here throughout the day to get the occasional glance of some East coast smug.  I took extra delight in my Rangers beating the crap out of the Red Sox last night 19-3, just because of that smug...
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on April 18, 2012, 11:44:46 AM
Man, I love popping on here throughout the day to get the occasional glance of some East coast smug.  I took extra delight in my Rangers beating the crap out of the Red Sox last night 19-3, just because of that smug...
Me too.

setshot

Pat Summitt is resigning from her coaching position at Tennessee. Perhaps, even with her health and mental state,she could help us find a coach. We need help.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 18, 2012, 11:53:41 AM
Me too.

as did i

valpo04

...because Texas  smugness is so much better ;)