• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball Coach

Started by setshot, April 04, 2012, 10:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Other than the two that graduated, I believe we'll see all the players that contributed last season, as well as the incoming recruits, as valpo will honor their commitments to them. Now the incoming players may opt out, but it's doubtful. As for the bench riders last season, who knows. I'd like to see a scholarship or two freed up for a couple of bigs. Lord knows we need them.

jack

Looks Like Helm is in, and Kormara is out. Not sure I understand the logic there. Let's hope She has a plan. If anything, I would have thought that would have gone the other way. I'm really surprised anyone was kept to be honest. Now we'll see if Dorow can attract some much needed bigs.

vu72

So is Stephanie Lang done?  What was her injury?  She certainly is "big".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KL31NY

Quote from: jack on April 26, 2012, 06:31:25 AM
Looks Like Helm is in, and Kormara is out.

Is this official? I haven't seen any indication anywhere else yet that this would be the case.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

I think Lang had multiple issues she was dealing with. I think even at her healthiest, she's be limited on minutes anyway. Very few players (excluding the one from detriot) her size can get up and down the floor consistently and be effective doing so. It's been my experience that, when a player, of any size or playing any possition, misses an entire season due to multiple medical issues, with no condition that can be corrected with surgery, they are either done, or soon to be. She's a great kid, but with her lack of contribution, or physical conditioning required to play at this level, even if she could return to the mix, it would take an entire season to get back to playing form. I hope I am wrong, but history would say otherwise. I think even a bigger concern now will be, if Horton, and Calloway can get back in and mix it up. As bad as we need bigs, we need more healthy bodies even more. Last season was brutal. You can't compete in D1 with the mess we had last season. I still haven't heard of any extra years of elgeability for any of the players that didn't play last season. Anyone??     

jack

Quote from: KL31NY on April 26, 2012, 09:13:27 AM
Quote from: jack on April 26, 2012, 06:31:25 AM
Looks Like Helm is in, and Kormara is out.

Is this official? I haven't seen any indication anywhere else yet that this would be the case.

I suppose it's not official, until they make it so. Anything is possible. It's my understanding that this is the way things will shake out. stay tuned I guess.

VULB#62

Right now (10:35 AM EDST) the new coaches are profiled and Kormara is still on the WBB web page along with Helm.

LaPorteAveApostle

No "Kormara", but there is a "Komara"...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jack

Kormara may have been offered a better opportunity, or "fit". Who knows. My info comes from outside the situation so at this time, I see it as "speculation", until it's made official. Personally, I'd like to see her stay on. She seems to have a great repore with the team, and I think she could be big in the recruiting process.

jack

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: jack on April 26, 2012, 10:03:40 AMYep. Drop the "r".

:)

and ditto what the previous post said--she's a legend here, and that's got to be worth more here than say in Palo Alto.

Although, having said that, the weather--and money--there probably outweighs one's reputation, since that's exactly what took me from the Region to SW FL.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jack

Well, it appears my info was right. I notice that Kelly Komara's name has been dropped on the coaches list. I wish her well, where ever she ends up. They've kept Helm as the second assistant.

jack

Anyone have any more info concerning the ladies program? Signings, returnings, etc.? Any truth to the rumor that Lang won't be joining them next season? Will Adams be playing next season?
Anyone?

StlVUFan

Quote from: jack on May 17, 2012, 09:55:28 AM
Anyone have any more info concerning the ladies program? Signings, returnings, etc.? Any truth to the rumor that Lang won't be joining them next season? Will Adams be playing next season?
Anyone?

I believe I saw a tweet from Paul Oren that Betsy Adams was released from her scholarship.  Confirm/Deny, anyone?

valpopal

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 17, 2012, 10:14:59 AM
Quote from: jack on May 17, 2012, 09:55:28 AM
Anyone?

I believe I saw a tweet from Paul Oren that Betsy Adams was released from her scholarship.  Confirm/Deny, anyone?

I can confirm this.

jack

Wouldn't Betsy be a 5th year senior if she stayed? If so, I suspect she's ready for the next chapter. I'm surprised they don't send out a news release letting everyone who cares, and follows the program, know what's up, and what direction they're heading. It would probably go a long way towards rejuvenating support. Unless I missed something, I still haven't seen anything official about Komara. I'm assuming since they don't have here listed as an assistant, that she's moved on. Nothing offical about Stef Lang either, only that she probably wouldn't meet the requirements of the new staff. I trust Scott is rehabing and will be returning. Haven't heard a thing about Calloway. I'm hoping Horton can stay healthy and contribute next season.
Lets hope there's a shot that the new staff has a big or two in mind to join the fold. We are going to be extremely small without any help in that department.   

valpotx

Adams would be a big loss for the program, but if she is ready to graduate and stop playing, you can't blame her
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on May 17, 2012, 02:01:17 PM
Adams would be a big loss for the program, but if she is ready to graduate and stop playing, you can't blame her

My understanding is that Adams is hoping to transfer to a school where she could play one more year.

jack

That's too bad. If she wants to play another year, I'm curious why she would chose to do so elsewhere. Maybe it has something to do with Freeman leaving, and the incoming staff.

valpotx

If she is set to graduate, maybe she is taking the Brandon Wood route.  Either way she has to play for a new coach, and she may be thinking she could play for a more competitive program by transferring
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: jack on May 17, 2012, 02:35:50 PM
That's too bad. If she wants to play another year, I'm curious why she would chose to do so elsewhere. Maybe it has something to do with Freeman leaving, and the incoming staff.

It was not her choice.

jack

Quote from: valpopal on May 17, 2012, 03:33:38 PM
Quote from: jack on May 17, 2012, 02:35:50 PM

It was not her choice.

That's too bad. We'll miss her outside shooting, and leadership. She strikes me as a candidate that will stay involved with the sport after she's done playing. I wish her well in her next endevour.

valporun

That's a shame that Adams has been released from her scholarship. I thought she would be on the coaching staff after her college career ended, had Freeman won enough to stay that long...

valpopal

Message from Betsy Adams: "Going to be an Eagle next year at Florida Gulf Coast University!!!"  Wishing Betsy the best!

valpotx

Pretty decent team from the look of it, with them being a 12 seed in the tourney last season.  Good luck to her
"Don't mess with Texas"