• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Heckler Interview 12-04-12

Started by 78crusader, December 04, 2012, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Listening to Heckler interview. Highlights/comments as I listen:

New dorm construction starts next spring/summer.  Health Center and Confucius Institute torn down first (Health Center relocated to old Lankenau cafeteria).  Dorm will go in that spot.  He said three tennis courts adjacent to Health Center will also be removed.  (Not sure if these three courts are leftover ones, or are part of the tennis court complex put in as part of FITT project several years ago.  If so, not sure I agree with removing three recently-installed, and nice-looking, tennis courts.)  Completed by spring 2015.  Suite-style, but no kitchens.  For sophomores. 

Greek village will be funded by the Greek frat national organizations, not VU.  These buildings will be built just west of the ARC, along Union Street going west on both sides of the road.  Buildings are to be designed by the frats.  (I'm not convinced this will ever take place since funding is up to the frat national organizations.)

Boring discussion about social media, Torch, etc.  Snooze.  Not a highlight.

Discussion about VU's "brand" etc.  (Heckler comment: the Crusader mascot is here to stay.)

Comments regarding launch of new VU website.  (Who selects the questions to be asked?  These are boring questions.) Another non-highlight.

Even more questions regarding VU website.  Enough already!

Last question regarding new grandfather status.  Nice touch, but hey, you only have 25 minutes to ask questions!

Paul

VULB#62

If you look at the 30 year plan map it shows that the new dorm does, indeed, cover the footprint mentioned by President Heckler and it requires the removal of those 3 tennis courts.  However, on the map it also shows the removal of the outdoor BB court and then three new courts nestled closer to the SB outfield fence.  When you build a big ticket building, replacing those three courts should be a minor budget line.  In line with the improved recruiting and the drive for a better record, I would hope that the great start this recruiting season doesn't get blunted by a lessening of their facilities.

LaPorteAveApostle

Paul, thanks for this, and thanks for "taking one for the team".

Usually, the hecklers are in the audience for talks, not on the dais...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Quote from: 78crusader on December 04, 2012, 05:58:17 PMListening to Heckler interview. Highlights/comments as I listen: New dorm construction starts next spring/summer. Health Center and Confucius Institute torn down first (Health Center relocated to old Lankenau cafeteria). Dorm will go in that spot. He said three tennis courts adjacent to Health Center will also be removed. (Not sure if these three courts are leftover ones, or are part of the tennis court complex put in as part of FITT project several years ago. If so, not sure I agree with removing three recently-installed, and nice-looking, tennis courts.) Completed by spring 2015. Suite-style, but no kitchens. For sophomores. Greek village will be funded by the Greek frat national organizations, not VU. These buildings will be built just west of the ARC, along Union Street going west on both sides of the road. Buildings are to be designed by the frats. (I'm not convinced this will ever take place since funding is up to the frat national organizations.) Boring discussion about social media, Torch, etc. Snooze. Not a highlight. Discussion about VU's "brand" etc. (Heckler comment: the Crusader mascot is here to stay.) Comments regarding launch of new VU website. (Who selects the questions to be asked? These are boring questions.) Another non-highlight. Even more questions regarding VU website. Enough already! Last question regarding new grandfather status. Nice touch, but hey, you only have 25 minutes to ask questions! Paul

Will it take two years to construct the new dorms?  If I am understanding the timeline above correctly, the dorm construction project will begin next Spring (Spring of 2013), and be completed in Spring 2015.  Two years seems like an awfully long construction period.  Am I understanding the timeline correctly?
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: Valposter on December 05, 2012, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on December 04, 2012, 05:58:17 PMListening to Heckler interview. Highlights/comments as I listen: New dorm construction starts next spring/summer. Health Center and Confucius Institute torn down first (Health Center relocated to old Lankenau cafeteria). Dorm will go in that spot. He said three tennis courts adjacent to Health Center will also be removed. (Not sure if these three courts are leftover ones, or are part of the tennis court complex put in as part of FITT project several years ago. If so, not sure I agree with removing three recently-installed, and nice-looking, tennis courts.) Completed by spring 2015. Suite-style, but no kitchens. For sophomores. Greek village will be funded by the Greek frat national organizations, not VU. These buildings will be built just west of the ARC, along Union Street going west on both sides of the road. Buildings are to be designed by the frats. (I'm not convinced this will ever take place since funding is up to the frat national organizations.) Boring discussion about social media, Torch, etc. Snooze. Not a highlight. Discussion about VU's "brand" etc. (Heckler comment: the Crusader mascot is here to stay.) Comments regarding launch of new VU website. (Who selects the questions to be asked? These are boring questions.) Another non-highlight. Even more questions regarding VU website. Enough already! Last question regarding new grandfather status. Nice touch, but hey, you only have 25 minutes to ask questions! Paul

Will it take two years to construct the new dorms?  If I am understanding the timeline above correctly, the dorm construction project will begin next Spring (Spring of 2013), and be completed in Spring 2015.  Two years seems like an awfully long construction period.  Am I understanding the timeline correctly?

Two years sounds about right to me. It's probably going to be a fairly large building, and it's also being built along a city street.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

KL31NY

Interview cut into three .mp3 clips on WVUR's website. Barring any setbacks in linking, I've posted them below:

http://www.valpo.edu/student/wvur/media/podcast/HecklerDecember20121.MP3
http://www.valpo.edu/student/wvur/media/podcast/HecklerDecember20122.MP3
http://www.valpo.edu/student/wvur/media/podcast/HecklerDecember20123.MP3

At least on my browser, it runs on a QuickTime player with the volume on 100%, so be careful when opening.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

Quote from: Valposter on December 05, 2012, 03:27:57 PM

For a really wild dorm construction frame of reference, I  have been in Dubai for the last month on business (one week to go).  The part of Dubai City I am working in right now (this whole part of the city -- maybe 30 modern skyscrapers of 40 stories or more) was dessert sand 7 years ago -- and that includes all infrastructure (roads and utilities).  A turn-key four story dorm here would go up in < 6 months and pass the strictest building codes.  They throw lots of bodies and lots of money at every construction project here.  The bodies are cheap and work 12 hour shifts. The machinery is first rate too.

crusadermoe

Teamsters and IBEW probably solid in NW Indiana.    I did not bother listening to Heckler interview since its "highlights" were shared early in the string.      :snore: