• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A time to reflect and look forward...

Started by vu72, February 11, 2013, 06:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

With our hopes high for a memorable season and a return to the "Dance", I thought back on the '98 season and its impact on Valpo.

Many of us can remember the headline in USA Today calling Valpo "America's Team".  The publicity was unparalleled and unmeasurable.

I was just looking at a book filled with Valpo memories and came across an article written and published in The Indianapolis Star on March 3, 1998, and titled "Valpo and values". I thought the compelling part included a quote from Gilbert Meilander, the nationally known theologian who, to my knowledge is still part of Valpo's faculty.

Here is what he said: "The challenge for Valpo now, is to use the priceless publicity generated by the basketball team to solidify the school's academic, Lutheran and Christian credentials. This is not a miracle moment, but an opportunity to be seized"

The author went on to write: "It's funny how success in sports can cause us to take note of an institution that was already distinguished, simply ignored and unappreciated by the secular world. It's funny how national TV exposure can jam the phone lines at a place already deserving of a good reputation"

I certainly couldn't have said or written it better.  Let's all pray for a memorable season and a better result going forward...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I imagine that this administration is much more willing to capitalize on athletic success than the previous one.  Harre and Steinbrecher did a lot for the school, but didn't seem to be on the same page in regards to advancing the athletic programs to enhance the university's image in the overall public eye (outside of academics, of course).  Steinbrecher set us back several years by insisting on Valpo staying in the Mid-Con, which was probably because his son ran the conference.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

It appears that the Administration continues to put top quality coaches in place for our top programs...now let's hear some conversation on the LONG OVERDUE facility improvements for the ARC, baseball, etc. and see some action from the Administration on future plans -- where, what and when

usc4valpo

Quote from: valpotx on February 12, 2013, 03:13:44 AMI imagine that this administration is much more willing to capitalize on athletic success than the previous one. Harre and Steinbrecher did a lot for the school, but didn't seem to be on the same page in regards to advancing the athletic programs to enhance the university's image in the overall public eye (outside of academics, of course). Steinbrecher set us back several years by insisting on Valpo staying in the Mid-Con, which was probably because his son ran the conference.
wow, I am glad someone has achnowledged the nepotism of the Steinbrechers and their willingness to stay in the MidCon.  It is time to grow and move forward folks....

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 25, 2013, 12:16:28 PMIt is time to grow and move forward folks....
yeah, maybe they could get us into the MAC!

:/

#MACtion
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vufan75

Quote from: valpo64 on July 25, 2013, 10:12:22 AM
It appears that the Administration continues to put top quality coaches in place for our top programs...now let's hear some conversation on the LONG OVERDUE facility improvements for the ARC, baseball, etc. and see some action from the Administration on future plans -- where, what and when

I am solidly with you '64. I've been whining about needed athletic facility updates, renovations, or even consider the idea of building new for some time now.

Priorities seem to be in favor of other projects. I can only hope when the day comes that the athletic venues are planned for, that they end up as 1st class as what has been built on campus the last decade or so ( i.e. VUCA, library, union, addition to Gellersen, liberal arts building, etc). 

I believe additional dorms or dorm renovations might be coming in the future, as well as a new nursing building, new science building or update, maybe a new or updated business building. And a fieldhouse is coming as well. Lots of competing and needed projects to work on...when funds are raised. And of course we still need that track built that was a FITT item not built. Would be nice to see some other enhancements to Brown Field as well to give it a college feel vs. IMHO basically a high school venue. So much is needed including lots of $$$$.

valpo64

When purely academic building and/or related fund raising programs are put forward, the University seems to always meet or exceed the dollar goals and this is a great thing.  However I also believe that for those who want to improve our athletic facilities and programs, fund raising programs would also be successful in raising funds for ARC expansion/renovation, etc. along with new and/or improved football, baseball, softball, track, etc. facilities.  Has an extensive athletic fund raising program ever been undertaken at Valpo?  I mean one along the lines of the Butler Hinkle Fieldhouse improvement project.

valpo95

It still amazes me that the track hasn't been put in.  I would think that this would be a relatively low-cost, high impact improvement.

A quick search turned up this website, which shows an installation cost of $178K and a 20-year cost of $292K (the Red option, which hopefully could be tinted to a brown  ;))    http://www.unitedsportsystems.com/running_tracks.html

If one assumes some additional site prep costs beyond what is listed, we could speculate a track could probably be put in for $250-300K.  Would a track have made a difference in VU getting a bid to join the Missouri Valley?  How about VU hosting some high school regional track & field competitions that could get more future students here?  (If just 2 more students came and paid the full tuition for four years, that pretty much pays for the installation of the track!).  That doesn't even include the benefits of our teams being able to use the track, or our students being able to do so as well.

Does anyone know why this doesn't get done right away?

bbtds

Quote from: valpo95 on July 26, 2013, 08:40:06 AMIt still amazes me that the track hasn't been put in.  I would think that this would be a relatively low-cost, high impact improvement.

A quote from the AD on this board almost exactly a year ago:

Quote from: ml on July 24, 2012, 10:49:50 PM
The last time the track project was priced the estimate was $1.8 million.  The track surface is only part of the cost.  The asphalt base needs to be built, there is a significant amount of site work (eg: removing the old tennis courts) and drainage needed plus landscaping.  Our plan also includes jump areas and the equipment needed for staging track meets.  We still need to raise the majority of those funds.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=903.0

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on July 26, 2013, 08:40:06 AM
It still amazes me that the track hasn't been put in.  I would think that this would be a relatively low-cost, high impact improvement.

A quick search turned up this website, which shows an installation cost of $178K and a 20-year cost of $292K (the Red option, which hopefully could be tinted to a brown  ;))    http://www.unitedsportsystems.com/running_tracks.html

If one assumes some additional site prep costs beyond what is listed, we could speculate a track could probably be put in for $250-300K.  Would a track have made a difference in VU getting a bid to join the Missouri Valley?  How about VU hosting some high school regional track & field competitions that could get more future students here?  (If just 2 more students came and paid the full tuition for four years, that pretty much pays for the installation of the track!).  That doesn't even include the benefits of our teams being able to use the track, or our students being able to do so as well.

Does anyone know why this doesn't get done right away?

No. Loyola doesn't have a track either.  They were chosen because they are private but most importantly because of their location.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

Quote from: vu72 on July 26, 2013, 09:39:46 AM

No. Loyola doesn't have a track either.  They were chosen because they are private but most importantly because of their location.

OK, I stand corrected.  It is probably $250-300K to re-surface or upgrade an existing track area assuming the site preparation was adequate. 

The $1.8M number might include the complete cost of doing everything, but it seems like some of this could be done in stages:  I don't think it is necessary to buy all new equipment to stage more track meets right away for example; that could be done as funds become available.  One of the posters last year asked for such detail, but it wasn't made available.

(By the way, if it is $1.8M, that changes the calculation to 14 students paying full tuition for four years.)

I'll disagree with '72 on this one a bit.  Clearly Loyola's location was a key factor, but we should assume that during conversations about joining the Missouri Valley, VU's commitment to athletics including budget and facilities was discussed.  This would include a review of the ARC, Brown field (without a track) and softball/baseball facilities.  I won't argue that a track was the single factor in the decision, but it is one representation of the commitment of VU to competitive athletics.

valporun

In terms of the track, we're not just looking at a 8-9 lanes all around track, but space for long jump, triple jump, high jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, hammer throw, and javelin. The facility would need new pit/landing pads for high jump and pole vault, plenty of space for javelin, since the javelin can't be done on the football infield with the turf field we have, plus they are looking at the timing equipment needed for the finish line. This would also include the space, whether on the inside or outside of the 8-9 lanes for the steeplechase water barrier. The drainage around these facilities/spaces would be a factor too. Having standing water to throw into changes what a thrower would have to do to throw the shot or hammer, and it alleviates having huge muddy divots in the throwing area because rainwater is draining quickly on a rainy day, whether light or heavy.

Yes, a lot of factors that weren't so important in the early days of Valpo track, where you had to find enough volunteers to stand at the finish line with stopwatches to time all events, on top of the volunteers to measure the distances jumped into sand or thrown by shots, discs, and other weighted implements. Of course, then the tracks were made of cinders, not highly synthetic rubber that wouldn't hold huge rain puddles for days.

valpotx

I look forward to our track and CC program having the ability to do more practice around campus, and then translating that into increased athletic performance.  The same goes for S&D, but that is another large mess in regards to the pool  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

Quote from: valporun on July 26, 2013, 11:41:36 AM
In terms of the track, we're not just looking at a 8-9 lanes all around track, but space for long jump, triple jump, high jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, hammer throw, and javelin. The facility would need new pit/landing pads for high jump and pole vault, plenty of space for javelin, since the javelin can't be done on the football infield with the turf field we have, plus they are looking at the timing equipment needed for the finish line. This would also include the space, whether on the inside or outside of the 8-9 lanes for the steeplechase water barrier. The drainage around these facilities/spaces would be a factor too. Having standing water to throw into changes what a thrower would have to do to throw the shot or hammer, and it alleviates having huge muddy divots in the throwing area because rainwater is draining quickly on a rainy day, whether light or heavy.

Yes, a lot of factors that weren't so important in the early days of Valpo track, where you had to find enough volunteers to stand at the finish line with stopwatches to time all events, on top of the volunteers to measure the distances jumped into sand or thrown by shots, discs, and other weighted implements. Of course, then the tracks were made of cinders, not highly synthetic rubber that wouldn't hold huge rain puddles for days.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.  In a perfect world, we'd have the $1.8M to complete a perfect track & field location and move on.  Since we don't, and with all due respect to our athletes who participate in throwing sports, why not at least at least get the track done around the field?  Could we do that for half of the $1.8M and leave space for future expansion?  I get that we might need another location for competitive javelin, and that we would love to get new landing pits for the high jump.  But why not move forward with something reasonable that allows for future growth?

I think it was Gen. Patton who said a good plan implemented today is better than a perfect plan implemented tomorrow.  Given that the football field was upgraded in 2008 (I think), it just seems disappointing that we still don't have a track.

(And I'm not knocking our Track & Field athletes here -- they do a fine job with what they have and I'd like to get them more support.)