• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

My campus visit

Started by 78crusader, August 04, 2013, 04:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Toured the campus this morning.  First time on campus in over a year, and second visit in the last three years.   I wanted to see how campus looked and so my thoughts here are limited to the appearance of campus.  Here are my impressions/takeaways:

1.  A pretty good case could be made that the area between the Geography building/Wehrenberg/the business school/the east side of the Performing Arts building is the prettiest spot on campus;

2.  I'm glad the new dorm is going up since Scheele/Lankenau/Alumni have had it;  we could use three new dorms, not just one;

3.  The power poles along Sturdy Road were replaced with newer, sleeker poles, reducing the visual clutter along that road and making that end of campus much better;

4.  The front (south) entrance to the ARC is in much need of landscaping and a new sign -- it looks quite neglected right now;

5.  I hope the administration has plans for a new academic building just west of the union since that area needs some density (not to mention one less parking lot -- I'm referring to the one just south of the softball field, which I have never ever seen full;

6.  The landscaping around campus, with the exception of the ARC, is literally 100% better than 10 years ago;

7.  The administration has done a good job of getting rid of several older homes around old/west campus, and now they need to put in a building or two there so that old campus is "reconnected" to east/new campus.  The German house was a start, but more needs to be done;

8.  I'm glad the administration has dropped plans to buy up McIntyre and then get rid of the homes there; the neighborhood is a welcome addition to campus;

9.  There is no other way to say it -- the current football stadium is terrible and we need a one, right now!  I don't know how Coach Carlson convinces kids to come here with that facility.  Some trees that turn color in the fall surrounding Brown Field/the stadium would be a welcome addition, too;

10. Where are the frats? 

11. The new university drive is going to be a enormous improvement to campus and the south side of Lincolnway is really starting to take shape.  There is much, much, much work to be done, though, on the north side of Lincolnway.

Paul

wh

Quote from: 78crusader on August 04, 2013, 04:12:51 PM

11. The new university drive is going to be a enormous improvement to campus and the south side of Lincolnway is really starting to take shape.  There is much, much, much work to be done, though, on the north side of Lincolnway.

Paul

It is going to take another major investment by certain unnamed local real estate developers with deep pockets to "recreate" the north side the way they did the south.  I'm not aware that there's anything in the works right now, but I think it's just a matter of time. 

VULB#62

4.  The front (south) entrance to the ARC is in much need of landscaping and a new sign -- it looks quite neglected right now;

6.  The landscaping around campus, with the exception of the ARC, is literally 100% better than 10 years ago;

9.  There is no other way to say it -- the current football stadium is terrible and we need a one, right now!  I don't know how Coach Carlson convinces kids to come here with that facility.  Some trees that turn color in the fall surrounding Brown Field/the stadium would be a welcome addition, too;

Thanks, Paul, for the tour.  The comparision of #4 and #6 is interesting.  The simplist way to make a facility attractive (at least on the outside) is to do a good job with the landscaping and then keep it up, freshen it a bit every Spring, and just make it inviting -- curb appeal.  Sorry to hear that is not being done.  From an athletic recruiting perspective, facilities play a large role in attracting prospects.  Even though the ARC may have limitations as suggested by many strings in this forum, it can still always present itself well as you come upon it even before you enter -- "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression."  And a tepid first impression of the outside could taint what is observed inside as well.

The football stadium is on yet another plane.  No manner of landscaping will disguise the unacceptability of what presently exists for a D-IAA university football program. I think it might be Coach Carlson's strategy to recruit far and wide because the single visit a recruit takes  in mid winter might not convey the true picture of where they will play for 4 years. Local kids who visit more than once will see through that right away.  Just having the track in the void that now exists would improve the impression.  Powerball is up to $400 mm.  If I win, we can check this off as done:  6K capacity, ticket sales and welcome plaza, 2 level press box with President's/Crusader pavillion to entertain boosters, VIPs and everyone on this forum, in-stadium rest rooms and concessions, improved lighting, brick and steel fenced-in perimeter, gorgeous landscaping.

VULB#62

BTW........... if I had enough money to pay for what I listed below, I'd also insist that the visitor's stands be moved closer to the field (the home stands I discribed would have to be closer as well to ensure a 6K capacity) and that a separate track facility be build right behind Brown Field and share the light poles.  I see that as a double win:  The FB field becomes cozier for fans and a tough place for visitors to play; the track complex becomes a fantastic recruiting vehicle and provides another soccer practice facility until the soccer stadium gets built next to the new field house.

Just my  :twocents:

78crusader

I mentioned this to ml several years ago... but Albion college in Michigan built a new stadium for 6.5 mil. Before that they played at the local high school. I can't find the web page anymore with pics of the finished product, but it is beautiful.

Paul

VULB#62

Building on your satatement below, here is quote from the Albion athletric website:

Second Phase of Athletic Facility Improvements
A new era in Albion College athletics will begin following completion of major improvements planned for Alumni Field. Fundraising is now under way in support of these renovations to the College's outdoor athletic facilities.

Expected to cost more than $3 million, the upgrades include the construction of a soccer/lacrosse competition facility, the relocation of softball's Dempsey Field to the southeast corner of Alumni Field, and the reconfiguration of baseball's Frank Joranko Field. Also planned are a new entrance to Alumni Field, serving as a gateway to the entire complex, and a centrally located outdoor plaza that will offer a gathering space for players and fans.

"These changes will contribute importantly to winning league championships and gaining broader recognition for Albion's varsity programs," said Matt Arend, director of athletics. "They will also demonstrate in a highly visible way that the College is committed to our student-athletes—we intend to provide them with the facilities needed to help them succeed at a very high level."

These projects represent a continuation of improvements that began in summer 2011 with the installation of artificial turf on the football field, the resurfacing of the Elkin Isaac Track, and construction of new runways and landing pits for the jumping events at Sprankle-Sprandel Stadium, as well as new cages for the discus and hammer and a launch area for javelin throwing events at Alumni Field.

A Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) championship and a berth in the NCAA Division III tournament capped Albion's first football season played on the new turf at Schmidt-Fraser Field. The additional improvements will impact not only student-athletes but all students as teams make use of more all-season outdoor facilities at Alumni Field.

"Continuing to invest in our athletic facilities will benefit the entire campus community by alleviating the pressure for open recreation periods in the Dow Recreation and Wellness Center," Arend said. "We have seen this winter how teams can make use of the artificial turf inside Sprankle-Sprandel Stadium in January and February, and this will only increase with the addition of another turf field."
Regrding the FB Facility:

Sprankle-Sprandel Stadium was transformed in summer 2011 with a $1.1-million project that included the installation of artificial turf on the football field and a new running surface on Elkin Isaac Track as well as improved facilities for spring field events. Lights were added as part of the second phase of athletic facility improvements in the summer of 2012.

Work on the state-of-the-art field began days after graduation in May with installation of a new drainage system. It was topped with a crushed stone base, cushioned infill, and finally the artificial turf.

Work shifted to the track and field areas once the football field was complete in July. The project involved more than resurfacing the 400-meter track, as the athletes in the long and triple jumps now have two runways and four jumping pits for training and competition. A new cage was installed east of the stadium to host the hammer throw.

And.... they are D-III.  They have no conference revenue sharing and probably don't even charge admission to events.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 04, 2013, 10:16:57 PMSprankle-Sprandel Stadium was transformed in summer 2011 with a $1.1-million project

So that's practically a brand-spanking new Sprankle-Sprandel Stadium.

Try saying that 10 times real fast!    :lol:
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

78crusader

I forgot one thing. No campus flies fewer American flags than VU.

vu72

And your thoughts about the new Welcome Center? What work is being done toward the Chapel addition?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vusupporter

5.  I hope the administration has plans for a new academic building just west of the union since that area needs some density (not to mention one less parking lot -- I'm referring to the one just south of the softball field, which I have never ever seen full;

That lot is more often than not filled to capacity during the work week while school is in session.

Kyle321n

Quote from: 78crusader on August 04, 2013, 04:12:51 PM10. Where are the frats? 

If you walk north from the German house or west from the ARC you'll run into the Frats.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

okinawatyphoon

Paul, your thoughts on the welcome center? I think it does wonders for the main entrance
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on August 05, 2013, 06:55:01 AM
I forgot one thing. No campus flies fewer American flags than VU.

Interesting observation (and the rest of yours were too - but maybe I'll just comment on this one).

I don't think I can remember a US flag on campus.  Is there a display of international flags somewhere in the union?  Maybe just a small one by the Ghandi-King center, etc?  I could imagine a US flag figuring in a display like that, or maybe even setting up a more public such thing (as happens at e.g. international particle physics labs: CERN, Fermilab, etc.) but maybe that's more space/visibility than we'd want to devote to such a thing.

Apart from comments about a flag display, I don't think I have problem with the lack of visibility of the US flag.  We're not an institution of the federal government, or even the state or local government.

There's probably a US flag at the gas station across sturdy, at the reserve center down the street, at the courthouse downtown, etc.  I think I'm pretty OK with that density.

There has been a certain visibility of flags with the ROTC groups on campus: they do ceremonies of various sorts at university events.  They often make me a hair uncomfortable, but I think what's been done lately has been reasonably appropriate. 

We sing the national anthem (or have it song to us, etc.) at sporting events - at least at basketball games.  There's a flag around for that.

wh

There is a flagpole with American flag at the main entrance to the ARC. There is another in front of Wesemann Hall.  Conspicuous by its absence is one at the Welcome Center, but that may be yet to come.  Old Glory is also prominently in display adjacent to the campus at Horizon Zbank, 1st Source Bank and a bigger than life flag at the Speedway on the intersection of Rt. 30 and Sturdy Rd.  There was also one in front if the old Porter Hospital complex, which by the way has been almost completely turned into rubble ready for hauling away.

vu72

I guess one thing to keep in mind, relative to landscaping, is the very large size of the campus.  Including the 17ish acre acquisition of the Porter Hospital site, Valpo's campus now must be approaching 325 acres.  Compare this to Wheaton's 80 acres, Drake's 150 or even Butler's 290 and you begin what a grounds keeping job it must be!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

To answer the previous posts:

(1) "Sensational" may be too strong a word to describe the Welcome Center, but then again, maybe not.  The design is terrific.  A great addition to campus.  Further evidence that the Board has committed to the idea of building only first-class facilities. 

(2) There is a bobcat in the area where the Chapel addition will be built, but it appears, at least to me, that only some minor grading work is being done right now. 

(3) It is true, as noted by WH, that there are flagpoles at the ARC and Wesemann Hall.  I do not know if they are actually flying any flags, though.  The old flagpoles in front of the old union and in the Lankenau courtyard rarely flew a flag.  Even if they fly the flag all the time, 2 flags in a 300+ acre campus is not overwhelming. 

I fly a flag from my front porch and so do 3 or 4 of my neighbors.  I do this since it is a small way to honor our country.  On occasion it also helps me to take a step back from my all-too-often self-absorbed life and reflect, if only for a couple moments, on the sacrifices made by those who established this republic, preserved the union, and fought against the forces of tyranny and oppression.  It reminds me of the unparalleled freedoms my family and I enjoy.  It is a small way for me to show my love for this country.  And, for me, seeing the flag just makes me feel good.  I think VU should fly the flag -- at the Welcome Center and Union for sure, in addition to the ARC and law school. 

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on August 05, 2013, 05:03:17 PM) "Sensational" may be too strong a word to describe the Welcome Center, but then again, maybe not.  The design is terrific.  A great addition to campus.  Further evidence that the Board has committed to the idea of building only first-class facilities. 

Except, of course, the athletic facilities. If the board put as many resources and pride in the athletic facilities as it does the academic facilities then we wouldn't need to be so envious of the athletic facilities of Div.III schools, such as Albion, Franklin, Wheaton, etc. It's extremely evident that Valpo doesn't even have a Div.III mentality when it comes to athletics. Valpo is just lucky to have an excellent AD, who is able to bring in excellent coaches who will all eventually leave when opportunities they can't pass up finally come along.

vufan75

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 04, 2013, 07:18:01 PM

Thanks, Paul, for the tour.  The comparison of #4 and #6 is interesting.  The simplest way to make a facility attractive (at least on the outside) is to do a good job with the landscaping and then keep it up, freshen it a bit every Spring, and just make it inviting -- curb appeal.  Sorry to hear that is not being done.  From an athletic recruiting perspective, facilities play a large role in attracting prospects.  Even though the ARC may have limitations as suggested by many strings in this forum, it can still always present itself well as you come upon it even before you enter -- "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression."  And a tepid first impression of the outside could taint what is observed inside as well.

The football stadium is on yet another plane.  No manner of landscaping will disguise the unacceptability of what presently exists for a D-IAA university football program. I think it might be Coach Carlson's strategy to recruit far and wide because the single visit a recruit takes  in mid winter might not convey the true picture of where they will play for 4 years. Local kids who visit more than once will see through that right away.  Just having the track in the void that now exists would improve the impression.  Powerball is up to $400 mm.  If I win, we can check this off as done:  6K capacity, ticket sales and welcome plaza, 2 level press box with President's/Crusader pavilion to entertain boosters, VIPs and everyone on this forum, in-stadium rest rooms and concessions, improved lighting, brick and steel fenced-in perimeter, gorgeous landscaping.

Good points made by both 78 and 62. I'm only at the ARC half a dozen or so times a year for games during the winter, so I can't comment much about the landscaping at the main south entrance to the ARC. But I will take 78's word for it, knowing the BOD's history as to the level of funding given for athletic venue purposes. I can imagine the ARC as it stands today, that the landscaping might need updating and freshening up. We seem to be hanging on to the idea that the ARC was just recently built and is fine as is. Well, almost 30 years has gone by at this point since it was built. It is no longer a "new" facility, and clearly in need of changes. Other than the Schrage addition courtesy of a very kind donor, the renovation of Hilltop gym a few years ago thanks to another donor, a new wood floor and modern scoreboard, nothing much has changed. Don't get me wrong, these were nice enhancements and upgrades. And surely different rooms within the ARC have been remodeled and are used for things other than the original intention, but basically the ARC today is pretty similar to the ARC of the mid-80's with the exceptions noted. Perhaps the landscaping is being left alone because of a pending major renovation to the ARC that is part of the strategic plan. Maybe the BOD has seen the years of neglect in several of the athletic venues, and has BIG plans to remedy this. One can hope anyway.  ;) 

62 is right, you only get one chance to make a first impression with folks, particularly in our case with recruits and their families. The football field itself is fine, as is the scoreboard. After that, I think many changes are needed at Brown Field to create some sort of "stadium feel" that just isn't there today. It seems odd to me that schools with smaller endowments have far nicer athletic facilities. Why not Valpo is the question I would ask?   

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: 78crusader on August 05, 2013, 05:03:17 PMThere is a bobcat in the area where the Chapel addition will be built
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

78crusader

Fellow posters, bear with me. 

The ARC landscaping -- I should say lack of landscaping -- is particularly distressing to me.  What is there now is leftover stuff from 1984 when the place opened.  Some old evergreens and ground cover.  That is it.  The sign that was there was taken down several years ago and not replaced.  I'm not sure I've seen another athletic center on any campus that didn't have an electronic sign out in front.  The university should spend the $20,000 or so it will take to put a sign in there. 

Many of us, myself included, are for the most part blissfully unaware of the financial pressures nearly all four-year colleges and universities are under nowadays.  I'd be surprised if even a small expenditure -- say 5000- isn't a big deal that needs approval from several higher ups.  But $5000 or maybe $7500 in landscaping this building would make a huge difference.  The entrance has southern exposure.  Perfect for daylilies and roses.  Put in some annuals like vinca in the summer and mums in the fall.  The place needs 2 or 3 very large pots filled with trailing petunias, salvia, and grasses.  It would be easy to plan and do.  The flagpole -- rarely used -- needs to be replaced since it is too tall.  A shorter pole with a 4 x 6 US flag would work.  I'll bet that the members of this fan forum could raise that kind of money.  What do you all think?

The point is, small expenditures can make big differences.  Right now the ARC entrance is old and uninviting.  Rather than wait 5-7 years for the ARC remodel (yes, it will be that long since the fieldhouse must be built first, and that will take years) why not do what I've suggested?  This is, after all, the one building (other than the Chapel and Union) that gets the most pedestrian traffic. 

My wife and I have invested small sums in other landscape projects.  Just across the road from the south entrance of the ARC, right between the road and the sidewalk on the north side of the Guild-Memorial parking lot, we put in 5 maple trees.  Instead of a bare area we now have some really pretty trees.  We did the same thing right next to the west wall of the old gym/ARC, the side that faces the relocated Victory Bell.  We figured that some trees there were better than nothing, which is what was there before.  Maybe someone on this board who lives in Valpo or works for VU could take a look and maybe post a picture of them.  I like to think these trees have made a difference.

We always talk about supporting VU in various ways.  This is one suggestion.  Let me know what you think.  Thank you, Paul Thune

valpotx

An electronic sign makes sense, to announce events.  It sounds like the old one with the placeable lettering is finally gone?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Back home in Massachusetts, little Bridgewater State (D-III) has an electronic sign outside their outdoor athletic complex (all-weather track around a turf football field inside a fenced in stadium built only 2 years ago, as well as basebal and softball stadia and multiple soccer and lacrosse fields - but I digress).  It is located right off the street.  It stands about 6' high and is 6' wide.  It is two-sided.  It is color, can show graphics as well as text, steadily reports time and temperature, and also runs through the events of the day/week.  On game days it promotes that day's feature event in big graphics for extended periods and then reverts to the other events, then back to the headliner.  Really cool.  Valpo could use one of these it would seem.

ml2

Here are some pictures of the area being discussed.

This is the main entrance on the south side of the ARC, from across Union Street. The flag pole is obscured in this shot by tree foliage.

Here are the trees on the south side of Union Street, seen from the same spot as the first photo.

This is a close up of the area just west of the main entrance. The "bald" area in the middle is where the original ARC sign used to be located.

This is the landscaping on the south side of the ARC. Some other posters on here might know better than me, but I think the stairs to nowhere in this shot show where the main entrance to the building was before the ARC addition was put on in 1984. Now they just lead to windows of the main athletic administrative offices.

Here are the trees on the west side of the ARC, in between the original Hilltop Gym and the current location of the Victory Bell.

Finally, a bonus pic for the board. Here is the football team in the middle of their conditioning, as seen from the top of the south bleachers. In the background the Porter Hospital Parking Garage between LaPorte Ave. and Lincolnway is now clearly visible because all of the hospital structure has been razed.

valpotx

Wow, thanks for the picture of the football field.  It looks a lot different without the hospital there!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Can't wait to see the fieldhouse over in the old hospital space. It will add something real nice to the northwest corner of the football stadium, especially knowing that the fieldhouse will probably have windows to overlook the football/soccer fields on gamedays.