• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Diversity

Started by 78crusader, October 22, 2013, 08:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Interesting and somewhat disturbing article in the Torch.  Appears that VU's efforts in increasing diversity bring their own set of problems.  Student retention, for starters.

I've always thought President Heckler's diversity efforts were tailor-made -- for a school in Denver, or Chicago, cities which have a lot more to offer these students.  Have to take things a bit slower, I think, with a school located in a county-seat town. 

It's one thing to boast about enrollment numbers on Sept 1; it's another thing when kids are telling parents that bunches of students have left school by mid-October.  Student retention is one of the factors considered by US News in its annual rankings.  VU in the past five years has gone from third to tied for fourth to sixth. 

Paul

LaPorteAveApostle

PROTIP:  including a link to the story you reference will come in handy in facilitating discussion

is this it?
http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_faaae0f0-37f8-11e3-a394-0019bb30f31a.html
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

I would not put a lot of stock in the Torch article, which is one-sided and seems intent to promote the agenda of the newly formed "Diversity Facilitation Committee." The truth is that minority retention rates at universities across the country are very low. Nationally, only 40% of minorities graduate within six years of enrollment at a college. Overall, Valparaiso's freshmen retention rate is in the mid-80s and just slightly below Butler (located in a minority-friendly city), which is also in the 80s.

I would guess Valparaiso has minority graduation rates better than even some historically black universities, which have very low six-year graduation rates, many in the 30% range, and the best historically black universities, like Howard or Morehouse, have six-year graduation rates only in the 60% range. The article in the Torch was biased and exaggerated reality (no surprise); it presented only voices that agreed with its premise and not a single dissenting opinion in order to promote a preconceived thesis.

valpotx

Any word on how many students have left? 

Diversity was a bit rough when I was in school at Valpo.  We 'ran' with a large group of about 14-15 guys almost all of FR year everywhere we went, and I can say that we experienced quite a bit of racism from some locals at various times that year due to having a few African American friends with us.  That was the first time in my life I had ever heard people say such nasty things about others...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

This is upsetting to me, because even though I know Valpo had "sundown laws" on the books until, what, the 70s?--I did not personally experience or witness racial encounters.

It, quite frankly, blows my mind that in this day and age people are giving other people flak for the color of their skin.

(In my day they just got flak for being bad presidents. HEYO)

This makes me feel better about stuff:
What Is Diversity?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

When it was not as common in the news, I remember when there was a 'silent' Gay Pride week on campus each year.  I say it was silent, as it was not officially endorsed by the university, but the sidewalks in the main areas of campus were chalked up with pro-Gay statements overnight.  Well, when those came out, you always had very hateful anti-Gay statements plastered all over those same sidewalks.  All it takes is a few people to make a campus seem less inclusive, so I don't think it is a huge problem among most of the students, it is just a select few.  Honestly, it isn't any different than any other campus in the US, as I would assume that the percentage of hateful students is about the same regardless of where you go, as it is in our everyday lives unfortunately.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on October 22, 2013, 09:38:05 AMjust slightly below Butler (located in a minority-friendly city), which is also in the 80s.

What has you so convinced that Indianapolis is a minority-friendly city? I think you're picking the wrong city for comparison.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on October 22, 2013, 10:10:35 AM
When it was not as common in the news, I remember when there was a 'silent' Gay Pride week on campus each year.  I say it was silent, as it was not officially endorsed by the university, but the sidewalks in the main areas of campus were chalked up with pro-Gay statements overnight.  Well, when those came out, you always had very hateful anti-Gay statements plastered all over those same sidewalks.  All it takes is a few people to make a campus seem less inclusive, so I don't think it is a huge problem among most of the students, it is just a select few.  Honestly, it isn't any different than any other campus in the US, as I would assume that the percentage of hateful students is about the same regardless of where you go, as it is in our everyday lives unfortunately.
[/b]

You're probably right yet one would think (hope) that a school like Valpo would attract more Christians or at least better students than the typical state school which again, hopefully, would lead to more tolerance/acceptance/inclusion.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on October 22, 2013, 11:51:42 AM
Quote from: valpopal on October 22, 2013, 09:38:05 AMjust slightly below Butler (located in a minority-friendly city), which is also in the 80s.

What has you so convinced that Indianapolis is a minority-friendly city? I think you're picking the wrong city for comparison.

Minorities represent more than 41% of Indianapolis.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on October 22, 2013, 12:31:25 PMwould lead to more tolerance
ah yes, as Christ said, "tolerate one another as i have tolerated you"

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on October 22, 2013, 01:18:09 PM

The percentage doesn't make it more minority friendly. Just a larger minority.

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on October 22, 2013, 02:03:28 PM

The percentage means that minorities have more power and influence in government, culture, and business decisions. The city has various forums for entertainment and numerous restaurants that especially appeal to minorities. In addition, the sheer numbers increase the opportunities for social interaction. Indianapolis also has hosted for decades the well-known Indiana Black Expo. Finally, I have seen Indianapolis on top-ten lists of best cities for minorities or African Americans to live.

wh

People need to read the article in The Torch before they pass judgement on this.   Frankly, all I saw were a couple of unsubstantiated claims and a lot of fluffy generalizations about how the university has a problem and the administration hasn't done enough to deal with it (again unsubstantiated).  This piece is lazy journalism, at best, and an unfair, damaging characterization of university life, at worst. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on October 22, 2013, 03:49:27 PM
Quote from: bbtds on October 22, 2013, 02:03:28 PM

The percentage means that minorities have more power and influence in government, culture, and business decisions. The city has various forums for entertainment and numerous restaurants that especially appeal to minorities. In addition, the sheer numbers increase the opportunities for social interaction. Indianapolis also has hosted for decades the well-known Indiana Black Expo. Finally, I have seen Indianapolis on top-ten lists of best cities for minorities or African Americans to live.

If you say so. I just don't see a lot of positive results. Andre Carson, the congressman from the inner city of Indianapolis, doesn't seem very happy at all with the current status of race relations in the city. Maybe I focus too much on the negative news that we get nightly.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on October 22, 2013, 03:49:27 PMThe percentage means that minorities have more power and influence in government, culture, and business decisions.
and i thought *I* was an optimist

okinawatyphoon

Speaking of diversity, there's a great video that the architects of the Harre Union just put together that describes the diversity and inclusiveness of campus. It's worth a watch.  :thumbsup:

http://www.sasaki.com/blog/view/363/
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon