• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Arts & Sciences building

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 10, 2011, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: 78crusader on April 12, 2011, 01:18:21 PM
What I don't understand is the administration's insistence on building a Welcome Center.  To me, the current admissions building is fine.  I think there are other, more pressing building needs than a Welcome Center.  No one on this board has ever said boy, the current admissions building is a real negative for VU.  However, many have pointed out our need (I list them here in no particular order) for a new science building, fieldhouse, dorms, and track.  I would bet that when the administration took its survey of what people thought VU needed in terms of facilities, a Welcome Center was not even mentioned.  Paul
I for one think a Welcome Center is essential. Think about this: A student's first impression of campus is KRETZMANN. It is a cramped, ugly building that is not very welcoming to families. There have been some improvements, but really it is a terrible first impression. Also, the building is bursting at the seams and there is not nearly enough room for the undergraduate or graduate admission staff, let alone the student aides. Current students and alumni don't see the need since they use the building so rarely, but prospective students and families are definitely impacted by it. How can we recruit more and better students when the first thing they see is so dilapidated? Fortunately someone else on the board seems to understand the need too.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on April 12, 2011, 03:56:47 PM
What I don't understand is the administration's insistence on building a Welcome Center.  To me, the current admissions building is fine.  I think there are other, more pressing building needs than a Welcome Center.  No one on this board has ever said boy, the current admissions building is a real negative for VU.  However, many have pointed out our need (I list them here in no particular order) for a new science building, fieldhouse, dorms, and track.  I would bet that when the administration took its survey of what people thought VU needed in terms of facilities, a Welcome Center was not even mentioned.  Paul
I for one think a Welcome Center is essential. Think about this: A student's first impression of campus is KRETZMANN. It is a cramped, ugly building that is not very welcoming to families. There have been some improvements, but really it is a terrible first impression. Also, the building is bursting at the seams and there is not nearly enough room for the undergraduate or graduate admission staff, let alone the student aides. Current students and alumni don't see the need since they use the building so rarely, but prospective students and families are definitely impacted by it. How can we recruit more and better students when the first thing they see is so dilapidated? Fortunately someone else on the board seems to understand the need too.

He is on the money!!  When you see the building I think you will really appreciate it.  Not only prospective students, but also alumni who haven't been back in 20 or 30 years.  When they drive in they don't have a clue where to begin.  I'm told the building will have a museum quality exhibition as well as just a very welcoming aspect.  I think it will be a great addition and probably modeled after successful and growing competitive institutions.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

OK, Okinawa and VU72 have convinced me.  My perception of the building was probably influenced by the fact that the day we were there for our campus visit, there were several very pleasant families there and we all enjoyed talking to one another.  It was an enjoyable experience for all involved, and the building did not feel cramped or inadequate and no one said anything negative.  But you guys raise very valid points.  Now, if we can just get the administration to put in a new track.....  Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on April 12, 2011, 04:19:40 PM
OK, Okinawa and VU72 have convinced me.  My perception of the building was probably influenced by the fact that the day we were there for our campus visit, there were several very pleasant families there and we all enjoyed talking to one another.  It was an enjoyable experience for all involved, and the building did not feel cramped or inadequate and no one said anything negative.  But you guys raise very valid points.  Now, if we can just get the administration to put in a new track.....  Paul

I concure with your point.  I'm afraid the track will however need a "champion", as it is viewed, correctly, as a desire rather than a need.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

As long as we are talking about impressions, though, I have to say that is the very reason a new track is a need and not just a want.  Forget for a moment that we have a track coach who has to recruit track athletes to compete without an on-campus track to train on, but instead has to rely on an old, windswept facility out in the middle of nowhere.  I say this: just go to a football game and see how strange Brown Field looks without a track surrounding it.  The bleachers were set back on purpose to accommodate the track.  With no track there, the stands appear to be way too far away from the field.  I hate to think what prospective students think about it.  If Brown Field were an otherwise attractive facility, it wouldn't matter so much...but Brown Field, let's face it, is not an attractive facility.  It needs help, and lots of it.  And some of the improvements wouldn't cost that much money.  I asked VU, years ago, to consider devoting some money toward landscaping north of the north stands, as well as on the west side beyond the end zone, but was met with empty stares and indifference.  My point at the time is that maybe, just maybe, people attending a football game might want to look out at trees changing colors rather than the Porter County Hospital HVAC units.  No response.  Nothing.  Things haven't improved since then, either, now that we have old, unusable tennis court surfaces to look at on the west side. 

Anyway, I simply do not see how the administration cannot see the need for a new track and decide to get going and get it put in.  Paul

vuweathernerd

Quote from: 78crusader on April 12, 2011, 05:17:08 PM
As long as we are talking about impressions, though, I have to say that is the very reason a new track is a need and not just a want.  Forget for a moment that we have a track coach who has to recruit track athletes to compete without an on-campus track to train on, but instead has to rely on an old, windswept facility out in the middle of nowhere.  I say this: just go to a football game and see how strange Brown Field looks without a track surrounding it.  The bleachers were set back on purpose to accommodate the track.  With no track there, the stands appear to be way too far away from the field.  I hate to think what prospective students think about it.  If Brown Field were an otherwise attractive facility, it wouldn't matter so much...but Brown Field, let's face it, is not an attractive facility.  It needs help, and lots of it.  And some of the improvements wouldn't cost that much money.  I asked VU, years ago, to consider devoting some money toward landscaping north of the north stands, as well as on the west side beyond the end zone, but was met with empty stares and indifference.  My point at the time is that maybe, just maybe, people attending a football game might want to look out at trees changing colors rather than the Porter County Hospital HVAC units.  No response.  Nothing.  Things haven't improved since then, either, now that we have old, unusable tennis court surfaces to look at on the west side. 

Anyway, I simply do not see how the administration cannot see the need for a new track and decide to get going and get it put in.  Paul

having an actual track would benefit far more than just the track team. it gives the student body as a whole  a place to run outdoors that's easily measured. from what i've been told, nobody really uses the "track" at eastgate b/c its asphalt surface is too harmful to the runners. and having run on it myself, i can say with certainty: it sucks! in rotc, we were finding ourselves having to bounce around everybody's schedule for our pt sessions, because the track in the arc was so frequently closed for one reason or another. it would have been nice to have an outdoor track to use as a backup on those nicer days.

okinawatyphoon

I too think the track is a need, and as much as I want the Welcome Center, I would rather see a track first. It just doesn't make sense to put it off any longer!

As for Arts and Sciences, this building will be a wonderful addition to campus and should really give Arts and Sciences somewhat of a "home" like the other colleges. Look for some updated photos in a month or so when I stop by campus.

valporun

In terms of track, when I was on the team from 2000-2004, we would commonly train at Valpo High School, Thomas Jefferson Middle School, Ben Franklin Middle School, or go out to Washington Township School, to run on their tracks because Eastgate was a wasted space around the soccer field. The condition of it was so barren, with holes and spaces where the track had worn out, and wasn't usable for anything more than surrounding the soccer field. Does anyone have any specific idea of how much money was being raised initially to build the track, how much it will cost now that inflation has hurt this economy, and how much of either of these number hasn't been raised yet? Do they have any major donors in line, or a construction crew named to take on this task? The track is a major necessity, and I hope that when it comes to upkeep, the AD doesn't sit back and let the track fall apart, especially with it being a surrounding focal point of our field-turfed football/soccer field.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on April 12, 2011, 04:04:02 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on April 12, 2011, 03:56:47 PM

He is on the money!!  When you see the building I think you will really appreciate it.  Not only prospective students, but also alumni who haven't been back in 20 or 30 years.  When they drive in they don't have a clue where to begin.  I'm told the building will have a museum quality exhibition as well as just a very welcoming aspect.  I think it will be a great addition and probably modeled after successful and growing competitive institutions.

During graduation weekend, I was informed that the building of the Welcome Center has been scratched from the plans.

bbtds

I wonder how long before plans are made for the ARC improvements and then scratched. It's a tough environment out there financially. Anybody got an extra $15 million for sports facilities? The answer is usually "no."

okinawatyphoon

There were a lot of pictures posted of the new academic building on the valpo flickr page.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on May 21, 2011, 09:34:37 PM
I wonder how long before plans are made for the ARC improvements and then scratched. It's a tough environment out there financially. Anybody got an extra $15 million for sports facilities? The answer is usually "no."

if i had $15m to donate, i would.

okinawatyphoon

I don't think the Welcome Center is scrapped just yet. It is just progressing slowly.

valpopal

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on May 22, 2011, 03:34:18 PM
I don't think the Welcome Center is scrapped just yet. It is just progressing slowly.

The two people who told me the building of the Welcome Center had been scratched from the plans would seem to know since they were among the officials involved in its planning.

78crusader

So if the new Welcome Center is no longer going to be built, the question I have is...why?  Paul

sectionee

I think the main reason is that it went from a 1 million to a 7 million dollar project.  I think it is just on hold for time being.

bbtds

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 21, 2011, 11:48:25 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 21, 2011, 09:34:37 PM

if i had $15m to donate, i would.

Yep. I've always said as soon as I win the Powerball I will get that new Valpo basketball arena built. They can move Homer Drew Court into it.

valpopal

I was by the Arts & Science building site earlier today, and just as last week when I passed it, the place was locked up and construction seemed shut down. It appears that progress on the building has become a victim of the union strikes in Northwest Indiana that began June 1 and still continue.

okinawatyphoon

Didn't they strike last year around this time as well?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 16, 2011, 08:18:02 PM
Didn't they strike last year around this time as well?

yep. put completion of uptown buildings 2 and 3 in jeopardy as well, if i'm remembering right.

valpopal

I just heard that the union has reached a tentative contract agreement, which will be voted upon by the members soon. Therefore, the work stoppage could be ended next week.

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for the update valpopal!

valpopal

I was on campus for some business today and I took a photo of progress on the new A & S building. This picture is from the south side of the building:

govalpogo

Last year the unions were protesting that Uptown was using non union workers.  That giant rat was interesting to walk out to in the morning...

I think the building is looking very nice!

vuweathernerd

oh, the rat. drove past that dumb thing many a morning, including when it was balls cold outside. but i'm sure it was nice and cozy inside the suit.