• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Arts & Sciences building

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 10, 2011, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Here are a couple of photos of the new A&S building I took this morning. The first is from the northwest, and the second is from the southwest. Click on them for a larger image:

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

As much as I want this project to be complete, it is a sad time as there will be no active construction projects on campus. Hopefully the new dorm will start soon!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on August 17, 2011, 10:03:08 PM
As much as I want this project to be complete, it is a sad time as there will be no active construction projects on campus. Hopefully the new dorm will start soon!

Don't feel too sad. Construction on the new north entrance to the university has begun.

vu72

What's the latest on the Welcome Center??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on August 18, 2011, 09:17:20 AM

I have been told by two members of the university construction committee that the Welcome Center has been "scrapped." 

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on August 18, 2011, 09:44:53 AM
Quote from: vu72 on August 18, 2011, 09:17:20 AM

I have been told by two members of the university construction committee that the Welcome Center has been "scrapped."  

Wow! Interesting.  When President Heckler was in town he was all over this project as something the University really needed.  Money, Money, Money or, the lack thereof.

historyman

Yes, it seems the plans for the Welcome Center near the student bridge have been "kissed off."  Lack of funds seems to be the unwelcoming realization.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on August 18, 2011, 08:53:24 AM
Don't feel too sad. Construction on the new north entrance to the university has begun.

Huh - where is that?  Those look sort of like the Uptown apartments?

There was still some work ongoing, on the Uptown apartments or a nearby development, earlier this week.  I wondered if it was meant to be finished before students arrived. 

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: valpopal on August 18, 2011, 08:53:24 AM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on August 17, 2011, 10:03:08 PM

Thanks for the update on the construction. Agibson, there is already a thread about the University Promenade project with some more information. Great to hear that construction has started. Any pics you could provide would be great, valpopal!

okinawatyphoon

It would be great if we could get an update on this project! Below is a photo from the NWI Times from August 15.

agibson

I've heard some information about occupancy, etc.  But, it was a while ago, and I'm a bit sketchy on the details!

For sure one existing building has been advised that they should plan to move into the new building during the academic year.  Probably in the middle of the spring semester, maybe March was mentioned?

I think the other occupants may move in at a more leisurely pace, perhaps over the summer.

(Was it Meier, foreign language etc, that was going to move early?  So that Meier can be renovated, and prepared for Education?  With Miller, currently home of education, scheduled for... demolition?  I probably shouldn't go this far out on a limb. My memory's a bit sketchy here - please take with a very large dose of uncertainty!)

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on September 30, 2011, 01:22:05 PM
I've heard some information about occupancy, etc.  But, it was a while ago, and I'm a bit sketchy on the details!

For sure one existing building has been advised that they should plan to move into the new building during the academic year.  Probably in the middle of the spring semester, maybe March was mentioned?

I think the other occupants may move in at a more leisurely pace, perhaps over the summer.

(Was it Meier, foreign language etc, that was going to move early?  So that Meier can be renovated, and prepared for Education?  With Miller, currently home of education, scheduled for... demolition?  I probably shouldn't go this far out on a limb. My memory's a bit sketchy here - please take with a very large dose of uncertainty!)

Yes, the suggestion at one meeting I attended was also what you heard, that foreign languages would move in during the spring break; but there was no certainty that could happen, and it might be doubtful. There are enough uncertainties, including the winter weather, that no decision can be made until we approach the spring break.

valpopal

Re: "It would be great if we could get an update on this project!"

Here is an updated photo I took with my camera during Homecoming. I chose an angle at the front that allows one to see the connection to the library and the cross on the Chapel chimes in the background. This should have a little better definition than the previous iPhone pictures I posted in the past (click on the photo for a bigger close-up):

"http://i51.tinypic.com/69gtc8.jpg"

vu72

Terrific picture!  Thanks for posting.  The day looked beautiful as well!!

okinawatyphoon

vuweathernerd

that's a recent picture?? holy hell. thanks, valpopal.

rford2009

Yeah, it's really looking great.  According to a recent Torch article and quotes from Jon Kilpinen, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the building is still on schedule to be completed in early 2012, with furniture being delivered in February 2012, and "the basic plan is to have faculty move as soon as graduation is finished in May."

Also, according to the article, the immediate shutdown and later demolition of Huegli and Miller is confirmed.  It said Huegli and Miller are scheduled to be torn down in spring of 2013, with all power and utilities being turned off and the buildings closed until then.

agibson

If memory serves, the plan is to tear Huegli down already this summer, summer of 2012.  Getting Meier emptied first is only a priority because Education is moving in, and I guess there's some prep (or renovation?) that has to happen in the mean time.

Edit: moved the pew discussion over to the chapel thread.

valpopal

The facade over the front entrance to the A&S building is now up, and I think it looks sharp; though, it will be better when the snow and construction equipment are gone. A photo of the entrance:

vuweathernerd

wow! very nice! can't wait to go back through campus this summer.

valpopal

I like that if you look closely, you can see the building it is replacing, Huegli Hall, reflected in the windows of the entrance.

okinawatyphoon

The word art looked pretty tacky in the renderings, but in the photos it looks decent. Can't wait for this building to be complete!

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on January 28, 2012, 02:59:55 PM
The facade over the front entrance to the A&S building is now up, and I think it looks sharp; though, it will be better when the snow and construction equipment are gone. A photo of the entrance:

Wow - I didn't realize that was even planned, let alone complete!  Clearly I don't get to that corner of campus very often.  I look forward to seeing it in person.

okinawatyphoon

this project is mostly complete, and looks fantastic. more photos on the VU Flickr page.