• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Forbes rankings of America's Best Colleges

Started by covufan, August 03, 2011, 04:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Forbes has VU ranked 275, just before Baylor.  

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/#p_3_s_arank_

They also have VU has #230 among private schools and #60 in the Midwest.

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/valparaiso-university/

vu72

Thanks for the directions to the parking ramp!   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

That represents a significant jump in the rankings......I think we were something like #466 last year?
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

covufan

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on August 03, 2011, 11:10:28 PM
That represents a significant jump in the rankings......I think we were something like #466 last year?

I've fixed the link in the first post.

The links from Forbes include "America's Top Colleges" (above links) which is 2011.  They also have links to "America's Best Colleges", which is a 2010 piece.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/94/best-colleges-10_Americas-Best-Colleges_Rank_19.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/94/best-colleges-10_Valparaiso-University_950373.html

where VU is indeed #466.

covufan

Also interesting, for the HL:

Valparaiso        275
Butler              324
Loyola             395
UIC                 480
YSU                598
CSU                638
UWM               642
WSU               643
UWGB              N/R
Detroit             N/R

valpotx

Definitely a solid improvement, though no idea how we made such a jump.  Maybe the better facilities on campus?  I find it interesting we are 1 spot ahead of Baylor, and 2 ahead of TCU.  These are pretty good schools here in the DFW area (Waco is 50-60 miles away though), included with SMU.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: setshot on August 04, 2011, 07:03:10 PM
:oPathetic.

Another in depth analysis!  :o   Look, there are over 4000 colleges and universities in the US.  To be ranked 275 nationally is not what I would think, but still pretty impressive, given the criteria which is tainted by schools that are research institutions (awards etc).  We are moving in the right direction and with the new administration and our new marketing people, no doubt we will continue to move higher.  Also, setshot, we beat Butler!  That should make you proud!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

The real gem for Valpo is the new solar oven. It is one of only four in the whole country. There are 2 at US government facilities and 2 at universities. New Mexico has the only other solar oven at a university. They will take zinc and concentrate the sun rays enough to get it up to 2,000-3,000 degrees F, if I remember correctly. This will break down the material into oxygen, which can be used in hospitals, and a renewable free cell energy source. The zinc can be returned to it;s location of extraction to be used later for the same purpose. This could lead to a real break through in battery technology. I hope I stated this correctly.

78crusader

US News is the big dog when it comes to rankings, followed by the Princeton Review.  We'll see how we come out on those.  We've fared very well with Princeton since we've been consistently named as one of the top 360-odd schools in the United States, but not so well in recent years with US News.  Used to be a perennial #2 in our category (twice we were number one), but the last 4-5 years we've been #4. 

Does anyone have any pictures of how the new academic building is coming along?

Thanks,

Paul

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on August 05, 2011, 06:07:12 AM
The real gem for Valpo is the new solar oven. It is one of only four in the whole country. There are 2 at US government facilities and 2 at universities. New Mexico has the only other solar oven at a university. They will take zinc and concentrate the sun rays enough to get it up to 2,000-3,000 degrees F, if I remember correctly. This will break down the material into oxygen, which can be used in hospitals, and a renewable free cell energy source. The zinc can be returned to it;s location of extraction to be used later for the same purpose. This could lead to a real break through in battery technology. I hope I stated this correctly.

this is true for the engineering students. it's the doppler radar of c.o.e. when it was built, the radar was the only dual-polarization radar outside of the national severe storms lab/storm prediction center in oklahoma. now we just need to find key one-of-a-kind projects for the other departments as well.

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on August 05, 2011, 07:00:23 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of how the new academic building is coming along?

No pictures, and I'm behind on my message board reading.  But, it looks a lot more advanced than the last photos I've seen.  Some of the exterior elements are coming into place, and it seems like it'll bear a significant resemblance to the Christopher Center (library).  Not at all a bad thing!

agibson

Interesting to see a methodology that allows research universities and others to be ranked on the same scale.

And interesting to be ahead of e.g. Baylor.  But behind (on the same page linked above) ELCA schools like Augustana (SD) and Pacific Lutheran.  Behind Taylor and Calvin.  Behind Goshen.

Centenary (former Mid-Con opponent) is a fairly strong 284.

Taylor, Calvin

agibson

We're also in the Princeton Review ("The Best 376 Colleges") in 2012, and on their "Best Midwestern Colleges" list (not sure how many of those they include; apparently a Huntington University also makes the list).

VU put out a press release today
https://intra.valpo.edu/index.php/nr/4660