• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Marketing the University

Started by crusadermoe, March 05, 2018, 12:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2018, 10:44:40 PM
I think the University marketing department really nailed it back in 1918  ;)

https://twitter.com/KMPazour/status/971971453615726594

You might like the advert from 1918 but you might want to remember that Henry Baker Brown was not at all an advocate of athletics being a part of the university life before he died. His son Henry K. Brown and Oliver Kinsey were keeping that tradition intact in 1918, a year when Valpo was hurt greatly by the effects of World War I, the Great War, on the nation. After his father's death Henry K. Brown was trying to keep up the tradition of "the poor man's Harvard" by using the slogan "Thorough Instruction at Lowest Expense."

crusadermoe

He carved out a unique niche in the industry.  Wise leader. 

Among hundreds of private universities and Midwestern liberal arts colleges, HOW is the mission of Valparaiso UNIQUE and distinguished from the rest? 

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 15, 2018, 05:23:26 PM

Among hundreds of private universities and Midwestern liberal arts colleges, HOW is the mission of Valparaiso UNIQUE and distinguished from the rest? 

I think there are a couple of things that make Valpo unique.  First, as compared to other Lutheran institutions, it stands out by being both a National University via its athletics reputation and name recognition as well as having very little competition via combining a very strong liberal arts background with professional colleges in Engineering, Business and Health Sciences--and, (for the time being) having a law school.  The only similar Lutheran University I can think of is Capital In Columbus, Ohio.

As it compares to other private Midwest Universities, the above also applies as well as its national academic reputation via US News and housing, and being the only Indiana University, with the highest National Honors Societies in ALL of its Colleges (think Phi Beta Kappa in Liberal Arts). Adding to that is the Christian nature and culture of Valpo compared to other competitors like, say, Butler, Drake or Bradley.

How am I doing??   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on April 15, 2018, 06:45:40 PM

I think there are a couple of things that make Valpo unique.  First, as compared to other Lutheran institutions, it stands out by being both a National University via its athletics reputation and name recognition as well as having very little competition via combining a very strong liberal arts background with professional colleges in Engineering, Business and Health Sciences--and, (for the time being) having a law school.  The only similar Lutheran University I can think of is Capital In Columbus, Ohio.

As it compares to other private Midwest Universities, the above also applies as well as its national academic reputation via US News and housing, and being the only Indiana University, with the highest National Honors Societies in ALL of its Colleges (think Phi Beta Kappa in Liberal Arts). Adding to that is the Christian nature and culture of Valpo compared to other competitors like, say, Butler, Drake or Bradley.

How am I doing??   ;D

You are doing great.  So well in fact that it makes me wonder why Valpo is not more in the national conversation with religious affiliated Baylor (Baptist), BYU (Mormon), Liberty (Evangelicals), You Name It (Catholic), to just name a few.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 15, 2018, 09:11:54 PM

How am I doing??   ;D

You are doing great.  So well in fact that it makes me wonder why Valpo is not more in the national conversation with religious affiliated Baylor (Baptist), BYU (Mormon), Liberty (Evangelicals), You Name It (Catholic), to just name a few.
[/b]

Totally agree.  We are missing this opportunity.  Perhaps though,  in an effort to not offend the ever tightening market.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Yep.  I think VU72 nails it in terms of unique traits.  But what is the compelling underlying vision and purpose that bears out the "Christian" aspect.  I realize that some will queston whether that will inhibit following the truth wherever it might lead.  But allow for that risk with some starting assumptions.   

The folks citing Baylor etc. are on the right track toward fidelity to the founding mission. I think people are looking for a distinct and bold statement of mission. 

Yes, you may lose the lukewarm, but "choose this day whom you will serve...."

VULB#62

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 16, 2018, 09:56:13 AM
Yep.  I think VU72 nails it in terms of unique traits.  But what is the compelling underlying vision and purpose that bears out the "Christian" aspect.  I realize that some will queston whether that will inhibit following the truth wherever it might lead.  But allow for that risk with some starting assumptions.   

The folks citing Baylor etc. are on the right track toward fidelity to the founding mission. I think people are looking for a distinct and bold statement of mission. 

Yes, you may lose the lukewarm, but "choose this day whom you will serve...."

In addition to 72's traits, Moe, your statement [my bold] is also relevant, IMO. Support for an institution like VU is a reflection of the excitement level of its supporters and contributors. Excitement can be achieved may ways: > your statement above, > bold and aggressive administrative leadership, > great (and continuing) national exposure for something notable about the institution (athletics - MBB, for instance -- just about every D-I Catholic university has seized on this vehicle for decades), > dynamic campus life filled with events and programs along with competitive campus amenities that make the 4 years unforgetable, > etc., etc., or > combinations of them.  But it requires that the institution use these 'tools of excitement' in a strategically aggressively manner.  In other words, the school has to exhibit excitement about itself first, before that excitement can translate into supporter excitement.

I went back to 1940 to look at past Valpo presidents. https://www.valpo.edu/150/history-presidents/kretzmann.php    There have been 4 past presidents:

O.P. Kretzman (1940-1968) - led Valpo through the war years and under his leadership expanded into the east campus and built the world-reknowned, physical symbol of Valpo -- Memorial Chapel, now known as the Chapel of the Resurection. Both the eastward expansion and the construction of the Chapel took courage, dynamic leadership and a investment in the future. His charisma influenced the Board as well as set the tone on campus for both faculty and students alike.

Albert G. Huegli (1968-1978) - most noted for having the highest graduation numbers in Valpo history during his 10 year tenure, mostly attributable, I would think, to the expansion that occurred under his predcessor.

Robert V. Schnabel (1978-1988) - strengthened admission standards and strived for more faculty reseach. In 1987, VU was ranked the #1 regional university by U.S. News.  The ARC was completed in 1983 during his tenure for $7.25 million.

Alan F. Harre (1988-2008) - the endowment grew from $37.6 million in 1988 to $192 million in 2007.  Noted for being a planner and fundraiser. Led the next wave of campus expansion, notably the Christopher Center.

:twocents:  Though each of the four have been credited with some impressive individual achievements, only OP and Alan Harre had truly forceful impacts on the direction and growth of the university.  And of those two, it was OP Kretzman who produced dynamic change based on visionary leadership that used the excitement tools I referred to above.  President Heckler, IMO, possesses  many of the traits that could result in a similar 21st century dynamic change.  But he must be supported by a board that shares the vision of change as a positive thing.  :twocents:

vu72

One of the things lacking is a willingness to "Toot Your Own Horn".  Brag a little for darn sakes.  There should be a willingness, for example, to demonstrate CLEARLY why Valpo is the Premier Lutheran University in the Nation, not just the Midwest. Superior to St. Olaf?  Superior to Luther?  Yes, clearly.  Now, can it be said that other schools have very top notch academics?  Certainly and clearly some of them are superior to similar programs at Valpo.  But, those other Liberal Arts schools simply can't touch Valpo concerning thing like a solar furnace or even an engineering program to begin with.  How about a full time Nursing staff or a nationally renown Meteorology program or a Business School whose marketing team won a national competition against schools from across the country including the Ivy League?  I could go on but hopefully I have made my point. 

I have done college fairs for Valpo for many years and I have found their marketing material to fail to properly broadcast the remarkable things happening at Valpo in much the same way that Athletics has dropped the ball from time to time

ml2

The only similar Lutheran University I can think of is Capital In Columbus, Ohio

Based on my experience getting to know some Capital alumni here in Columbus, I don't think Capital has the same national reach or aspirations as Valpo. It's alumni are overwhelmingly in Ohio, and even here mostly in the Columbus/Central Ohio area and Cleveland area.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/capitalvfb#!/vizhome/VFB-UniversityAlumnibyState/AlumbyState
https://public.tableau.com/profile/capitalvfb#!/vizhome/VFB-UniversityAlumnibyOhioCounty/AlumbyOhioCty

VU2014

Very enlightening. Question: What does everyone think President Heckler's lasting legacy or achievement will be?

He's still in the process of molding his legacy but I'd have to think his will be updating the campus infrastructure and the "Forever Valpo" Campaign. I wasn't around during the Harre era but I've heard stories and different opinions on his tenure. Everyone says he was a great man but his downfall was not keeping the campus buildings up with the times. The Union was incredibly important feature of campus that I hear was largely accomplished during his tenure, hence the name.

I know I'm going to take some heat for this but I think he completely and utterly dropped the ball with athletics. The school never made a push off the Sweet 16 run that catapulted the University onto the national stage. It really is a shame. Will President Heckler make the same mistake? To be determined.

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 16, 2018, 12:00:15 PM
I went back to 1940 to look at past Valpo presidents. https://www.valpo.edu/150/history-presidents/kretzmann.php    There have been 4 past presidents:

O.P. Kretzman (1940-1968) - led Valpo through the war years and under his leadership expanded into the east campus and built the world-reknowned, physical symbol of Valpo -- Memorial Chapel, now known as the Chapel of the Resurection. Both the eastward expansion and the construction of the Chapel took courage, dynamic leadership and a investment in the future. His charisma influenced the Board as well as set the tone on campus for both faculty and students alike.

Albert G. Huegli (1968-1978) - most noted for having the highest graduation numbers in Valpo history during his 10 year tenure, mostly attributable, I would think, to the expansion that occurred under his predcessor.

Robert V. Schnabel (1978-1988) - strengthened admission standards and strived for more faculty reseach. In 1987, VU was ranked the #1 regional university by U.S. News.  The ARC was completed in 1983 during his tenure for $7.25 million.

Alan F. Harre (1988-2008) - the endowment grew from $37.6 million in 1988 to $192 million in 2007.  Noted for being a planner and fundraiser. Led the next wave of campus expansion, notably the Christopher Center.

:twocents:  Though each of the four have been credited with some impressive individual achievements, only OP and Alan Harre had truly forceful impacts on the direction and growth of the university.  And of those two, it was OP Kretzman who produced dynamic change based on visionary leadership that used the excitement tools I referred to above.  President Heckler, IMO, possesses  many of the traits that could result in a similar 21st century dynamic change.  But he must be supported by a board that shares the vision of change as a positive thing.  :twocents:

vu72

Quote from: ml2 on April 16, 2018, 02:45:05 PM
The only similar Lutheran University I can think of is Capital In Columbus, Ohio

Based on my experience getting to know some Capital alumni here in Columbus, I don't think Capital has the same national reach or aspirations as Valpo. It's alumni are overwhelmingly in Ohio, and even here mostly in the Columbus/Central Ohio area and Cleveland area.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/capitalvfb#!/vizhome/VFB-UniversityAlumnibyState/AlumbyState
https://public.tableau.com/profile/capitalvfb#!/vizhome/VFB-UniversityAlumnibyOhioCounty/AlumbyOhioCty

Certainly didn't mean to imply that Capital was on the same level as Valpo academically of from a National recognition standpoint but only that their academic profile had some similarities via the programs they offer like business, nursing etc.  My point was that few Lutheran institutions offer much beyond liberal arts and pointed to Capital as one of the few who do.

ml2

I think a big part of the answer to this question has more to do with the religious groups in question, than with the universities associated with them. Lutherans are a much smaller and/or more divided group than the others mentioned. Here is the full breakdown of US religious affiliation in 2014 from Pew Research. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2015/05/Religious-Composition-of-U.S.-Adults.pdf
Baptists, Catholics and "evangelicals" are all much larger groups than Lutherans. Only Mormons are equivalent in size, but their shared history of persecution and geographic clustering around Utah gives them a level of loyalty to BYU that Valpo probably hasn't had from Lutherans since the days when VU students had grandparents/parents still speaking German at home. Lastly, Lutherans are badly divided between the "evangelical" (ie conservative) LCMS and the "mainline" (ie liberal) ELCA. No other group sharing a common name is so evenly divided. See this additional breakdown from Pew: http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/chapter-1-the-changing-religious-composition-of-the-u-s/pr_15-05-12_rls_chapter1-00/

talksalot

>>>Signed my "Acceptance Letter" from High School

>>>Signed my "Diploma"   

Yes, they did good things :-[

talksalot

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2018, 03:35:09 PMThe only similar Lutheran University I can think of is Capital In Columbus, Ohio

My Daughter graduated from the Purple Crusaders in 2010 (went on to Grad School at The OSU) and still lives in Columbus...

She was one of 3 domestic students in the graduation program that didn't live in Ohio...  On the weekends, her residence hall was a ghost town.

78crusader

Quote: I know I'm going to take some heat for this but I think he completely and utterly dropped the ball with athletics.

I have to step in on this one for the benefit of those on this board (perhaps VU2014 is one of them) who are too young to properly assess the incredible job President Harre did for this university.

When he assumed office in 1988 VU had (1) an outdated and unattractive union, (2) a library that was the subject of much derision, and (3) an Arts facility -- Kroencke Hall -- that was, to be kind, completely and utterly inadequate.  These facilities were a drag on enrollment and gifts to the University.  I personally know of three kids during the 1980s who came from long distances to visit VU and, after taking one look at the campus, turned right around and drove back home. 

Not only were facilities inadequate, but morale on campus was at an all time low.  Enrollment was down, the athletic teams were almost uniformly terrible, and no new buildings had been built (other than the law school and the ARC) since 1980.  In fact, only three buildings -- the ARC, law school and business school -- had been constructed since 1972.  (One of them -- the law school -- was built only because the ABA came in and threatened to yank accreditation.)

It is hard to overstate the considerable headwinds President Harre faced when he took office. 

All President Harre did was to raise funds to build a new Performing Arts facility in the early 1990s, a new library in the early 2000s, a new geography and meteorology building in the early 2000s, and the new union, which opened in January 2009.  These projects cost over $140 million.  Moreover, the endowment increased from around $35 million to nearly $190 million during his tenure.  He hired Homer Drew and others who have contributed greatly to the success and reputation of the university, in athletics and academics. 

Harre could have spent his time "building" on the success of the 1998 NCAA team, but the resources simply did not exist to build up the bball program and replace key buildings that had to be replaced.  He made the only decision he could responsibly have made: begin the process of replacing old, tired, inadequate buildings with new, spacious, and beautiful facilities that would attract more students, increase morale, and contribute greatly to the long-term health of the university.  We owe him big time. 

Paul

crusader05

I definitely think that in many ways both Harre and Heckler have spent their terms dealing with either past issues or bigger issues that are out of their control. I think that between the two of the University has reached a point of success and stabilization but that now we need to make bigger decisions of what type of university we should be. Unfortunately I feel that if we have not yet carved ourselves out as the premier Lutheran University it's not going to happen, due to the reasons from above (too small of numbers and o divided between synods) and between the general decrease in church attendance in our society. I can't see it happening without a decrease in numbers and perhaps a lose in faculty who may not be comfortable with a stronger turn towards religion a la Wheaton.  To me that leaves our models to be many of the Catholic  Universities such as Loyola or Marquette and larger privates like Wake Forest or Case Western. And that way points towards high endowments, more programs and opportunities, and a bigger national footprint. Obviously athletics its into that and a new rec center but I think also a bit of letting our academics speak for themselves and promoting  the bigger stuff (the solar facility and aviation program) while also working actively on campus life and activity. The most common refrain I hear from students past and present is that they know they're at a good school and are appreciating of the education they get but may be looking for a more college environment (not just parties but late night spots, more activities on the weekend, some actual traditions) and I think the university would benefit from implementing more of those "quality of life" improvements

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: 78crusader on April 16, 2018, 04:06:53 PM
Quote: I know I'm going to take some heat for this but I think he completely and utterly dropped the ball with athletics.

I have to step in on this one for the benefit of those on this board (perhaps VU2014 is one of them) who are too young to properly assess the incredible job President Harre did for this university.

When he assumed office in 1988 VU had (1) an outdated and unattractive union, (2) a library that was the subject of much derision, and (3) an Arts facility -- Kroencke Hall -- that was, to be kind, completely and utterly inadequate.  These facilities were a drag on enrollment and gifts to the University.  I personally know of three kids during the 1980s who came from long distances to visit VU and, after taking one look at the campus, turned right around and drove back home. 

Not only were facilities inadequate, but morale on campus was at an all time low.  Enrollment was down, the athletic teams were almost uniformly terrible, and no new buildings had been built (other than the law school and the ARC) since 1980.  In fact, only three buildings -- the ARC, law school and business school -- had been constructed since 1972.  (One of them -- the law school -- was built only because the ABA came in and threatened to yank accreditation.)

It is hard to overstate the considerable headwinds President Harre faced when he took office. 

All President Harre did was to raise funds to build a new Performing Arts facility in the early 1990s, a new library in the early 2000s, a new geography and meteorology building in the early 2000s, and the new union, which opened in January 2009.  These projects cost over $140 million.  Moreover, the endowment increased from around $35 million to nearly $190 million during his tenure.  He hired Homer Drew and others who have contributed greatly to the success and reputation of the university, in athletics and academics. 

Harre could have spent his time "building" on the success of the 1998 NCAA team, but the resources simply did not exist to build up the bball program and replace key buildings that had to be replaced.  He made the only decision he could responsibly have made: begin the process of replacing old, tired, inadequate buildings with new, spacious, and beautiful facilities that would attract more students, increase morale, and contribute greatly to the long-term health of the university.  We owe him big time. 

Paul

Thanks for sharing Paul.  I was there in the early 2000's and did not have this depth of knowledge despite being in the thick of it.

To compare Harre ($140 million in upgrades) to post-Harre, what sort of numbers invested since?

VUCA was the main new building I was aware of entering VU.  The CLIT was my senior year and The Union soon thereafter.  VU had a new beginnings vibe amongst the students as we were graduating in 2005.  The old cliche applied, "all this as we graduate".

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 16, 2018, 04:45:50 PMTo compare Harre ($140 million in upgrades) to post-Harre, what sort of numbers invested since?

Don't have numbers at my figure tips but it is for sure more under President Heckler.  1. Addition to Gellerson, new Solar Furnace.  2. New College of Arts and Sciences building 3. Beacon Hall 4. New Sorority Complex  5. New Bio/Chem building 6. Addition to the Chapel  7. Athletics: Lighting for Brown Field, New Track, Significant improvements to the Softball Field, New Baseball visitor's dugout and new backstop, football weight room and new lockers for many sports. Most importantly, acquiring the Porter County Hospital property.

Um, did I miss anything??  ???

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2018, 06:21:38 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 16, 2018, 04:45:50 PMTo compare Harre ($140 million in upgrades) to post-Harre, what sort of numbers invested since?

Don't have numbers at my figure tips but it is for sure more under President Heckler.  1. Addition to Gellerson, new Solar Furnace.  2. New College of Arts and Sciences building 3. Beacon Hall 4. New Sorority Complex  5. New Bio/Chem building 6. Addition to the Chapel  7. Athletics: Lighting for Brown Field, New Track, Significant improvements to the Softball Field, New Baseball visitor's dugout and new backstop, football weight room and new lockers for many sports. Most importantly, acquiring the Porter County Hospital property.

Um, did I miss anything??  ???

I suppose the real question is who put more on the proverbial credit card?  There were champions on many big projects, but quantity of buildings might be lisleading.  It's real dollars that matter most. 

I've got no dog in the fight, they both are aces in my book.  Just would enjoy seeing the balance sheets for both.  Since we won't get that, we get to speculate!!!

78crusader

I wanted to add a couple of comments to my earlier post.

I mentioned that the library was a source of much criticism at the time President Harre took over in 1988. I recall there was a reputable national publication that ranked the worst college libraries in the country and I believe VU came in something like 12th.  Of course these kinds of rankings are ridiculous, but no one wants to be listed as having one of the worst college libraries. But sure enough, VU made it on the list.  I still remember a comment from one of our students, who said "You call this a library?" Painful.

For me the nadir - the event that best captured the low morale, the belief that  nothing was going right, the feeling of hopelessness in the athletic department - was when we finally got a TV game against Notre Dame and, wouldn't you know it, someone forgot to pack our uniforms.  So, we had to play the game wearing our practice jerseys, which made us look like the Sig Ep intramural team. Getting our doors blown off was the icing on the cake.

By the way, I agree with the previous poster who mentioned that students at the University want to have more traditions. I think traditions are important and this is one area where we have always been lacking. Professors and other VU employees on this forum, please take note.

Paul

vu84v2

Quote from: ml2 on April 16, 2018, 03:46:58 PM

I think a big part of the answer to this question has more to do with the religious groups in question, than with the universities associated with them. Lutherans are a much smaller and/or more divided group than the others mentioned. Here is the full breakdown of US religious affiliation in 2014 from Pew Research. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2015/05/Religious-Composition-of-U.S.-Adults.pdf
Baptists, Catholics and "evangelicals" are all much larger groups than Lutherans. Only Mormons are equivalent in size, but their shared history of persecution and geographic clustering around Utah gives them a level of loyalty to BYU that Valpo probably hasn't had from Lutherans since the days when VU students had grandparents/parents still speaking German at home. Lastly, Lutherans are badly divided between the "evangelical" (ie conservative) LCMS and the "mainline" (ie liberal) ELCA. No other group sharing a common name is so evenly divided. See this additional breakdown from Pew: http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/chapter-1-the-changing-religious-composition-of-the-u-s/pr_15-05-12_rls_chapter1-00/

All of the universities listed (Baylor, Liberty, BYU, Wheaton) force adherence to their very specific ideology. People applying for jobs are required to complete a statement of faith and their statements' consistency with the university's belief system is a major criteria for hiring decisions. In varying degrees, students are required to adhere to strict policies regarding religious practice, sexual behavior, alcohol consumption, etc. In other words, they try to create their own isolated world - and it is their right to do so. But Valpo is and should be different - encouraging students to follow their own path and following a mission to help develop the entire person to succeed in the world. Thus, from a strategic position Valpo must position itself against medium to large comprehensive private universities (i.e. Catholic universities plus schools like Butler).

crusader05

Someone asked if they missed anything in the building part. I'd add the new visitor's center, the addition of Uptown and Promenade apts, the Kalle-Christopher center for meterology(that opened in 2005 I believe) prior to that the met majors were in the basement of Mueller and it always made me laugh that they loved weather and didn't even have classes in a place with windows.

We also added the women's bowling team, The track (not sure if that's on yours), purchased the hospital grounds, tore down the old VUPD and health center and relocated them, added a health center just for faculty and staff, renovated and created a guest house on campus for visitors and are continuing to work on campus beautification. There really has been an extensive amount of work down on campus in between now and 2005, some obvious, some not so obvious. Next year we will also be opening a cadaver lab which is something that is rare on university campuses that do not have a med school attached.

Finally, I believe that Heckler has been more open to financing with bonds and other low-risk investments than Harre, There have been stuff that has been fully donated (the admissions center and chapel addition come to mind) but I think our needs were too great regarding updating campus buildings and residence halls to wait. Also, one limit of focusing only on donor money is it could limit your opportunities, one thing that comes to mind is our theater in the VUCA is too small, cramped, and uncomfortable. It should have been much more spacious but I believe funds limited our original scope. I would love to either revamp or create a separate auditorium on campus as well.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on April 17, 2018, 08:40:07 AM
Someone asked if they missed anything in the building part. I'd add the new visitor's center, the addition of Uptown and Promenade apts, the Kalle-Christopher center for meterology(that opened in 2005 I believe) prior to that the met majors were in the basement of Mueller and it always made me laugh that they loved weather and didn't even have classes in a place with windows.

We also added the women's bowling team, The track (not sure if that's on yours), purchased the hospital grounds, tore down the old VUPD and health center and relocated them, added a health center just for faculty and staff, renovated and created a guest house on campus for visitors and are continuing to work on campus beautification. There really has been an extensive amount of work down on campus in between now and 2005, some obvious, some not so obvious. Next year we will also be opening a cadaver lab which is something that is rare on university campuses that do not have a med school attached.

Finally, I believe that Heckler has been more open to financing with bonds and other low-risk investments than Harre, There have been stuff that has been fully donated (the admissions center and chapel addition come to mind) but I think our needs were too great regarding updating campus buildings and residence halls to wait. Also, one limit of focusing only on donor money is it could limit your opportunities, one thing that comes to mind is our theater in the VUCA is too small, cramped, and uncomfortable. It should have been much more spacious but I believe funds limited our original scope. I would love to either revamp or create a separate auditorium on campus as well.
[/b]

The 20 year plan does include an addition to the VUCA for a performance center.

VULB#62

The NY Times did a piece on Liberty University and the amazing growth it has achieved in the last 20 years.  It comes down to creating a business model that depends on two things:  1) online education/degrees (they are now #2 to the University of Phoenix in the country, but are still a non-profit) and 2) the large influx of federal dollars in the form of U.S. backed student loans and verterans benefits associated with the 95,000 online enrollees.  FT faculty commented that the Liberty residential campus is struggling to break even, but conceded that the online university "is making a killing."  Here's the link - I hope it comes across.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/magazine/how-liberty-university-built-a-billion-dollar-empire-online.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I am NOT advocating this exact model for Valpo, but felt it was something to see regarding our discussion on marketing a university. One theme in the article that does have a familiar ring is the dynamic and aggressive pursuit of growth.  Having said that, what does Valpo offer online?  Onlne education is one of the fastest ways of getting your name out there.  I don't have a clue as to how going in this direction might impact the core of the university -- the Valpo residential campus, but it is a revenue option.

crusader05

Online growth is something you could pursue but it needs to be done carefully if you care about ethics.  I am highly suspicious of the Liberty model as on-line programs tend to have horrible completion rates, contribute significantly to student debt, and are really just money makers. I do not think highly of Liberty University in general and to me this reminds me of nothing more than a mega preacher living high off his parishioners desperate for something. Modeling after the University of Phoenix is not an admirable thing in my opinion.

Utilizng on-line classes to help students complete degrees faster/keep them enrolled over the summer, or to bring in more non-traditional students is fine, but without really strong regulations and internal guidelines I don't think moving towards an on-line course model for a university is wise nor good for the country as a whole.