• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Troubling Campus News!

Started by vu72, October 13, 2018, 09:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

What the heck is going on??  This from the Chicago Tribune:

Valparaiso University recorded eight rapes in 2017, a report shows. Six of those occurred on campus in residential facilities, according to a report. There were three rapes reported in 2016 and two in 2015, the report shows.

"Our numbers, they fluctuate every year. They change every year. We're really proactive on this campus with this topic," Valparaiso Police Chief Becky Walkowiak said.

Walkowiak and Assistant Chief Charles Garber said they think the slight increase in 2017 is partly due to sexual assaults being reported more.

"I think the whole country is doing a better job educating people, to bring awareness," Garber said. "I think now when victims talk to people, in general, they say hey, report it."

As this awareness grows, numbers may increase, but, hopefully, those will decrease one day, Garber said.

Valparaiso University had one fondling, one burglary, four dating violence and eight stalking cases in 2017, according to the report.

The university also reported 166 liquor law violations, 26 drug abuse violations and one weapon violation, the report shows.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on October 13, 2018, 09:17:57 AM

Valparaiso University recorded eight rapes in 2017, a report shows. Six of those occurred on campus in residential facilities, according to a report. There were three rapes reported in 2016 and two in 2015, the report shows.

"Our numbers, they fluctuate every year. They change every year. We're really proactive on this campus with this topic," Valparaiso Police Chief Becky Walkowiak said.

Walkowiak and Assistant Chief Charles Garber said they think the slight increase in 2017 is partly due to sexual assaults being reported more.

"I think the whole country is doing a better job educating people, to bring awareness," Garber said. "I think now when victims talk to people, in general, they say hey, report it."

As this awareness grows, numbers may increase, but, hopefully, those will decrease one day, Garber said.

Valparaiso University had one fondling, one burglary, four dating violence and eight stalking cases in 2017, according to the report.

The university also reported 166 liquor law violations, 26 drug abuse violations and one weapon violation, the report shows.

Nothing is going on, the pendulum has swung on men in society and women rightly call foul in cases they might not otherwise. (And probably in cases they shouldn't truthfully)

I'd ask what conviction rate occurs, because "innocent until proven guilty."

If anything, I think this younger generation is probably more aware of this new "norm" so I'm not the least bit concerned.

valpotx

During my days on campus, the Theta Chi house was known for trying to get girls drunk at parties, so that they could take advantage of them.  Some even went so far as to try and separate a girlfriend from their boyfriend, and not let the boyfriend back in the house.  Whether this actually happened, I can't say, but that was a fairly common perception of the house.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on October 13, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
During my days on campus, the Theta Chi house was known for trying to get girls drunk at parties, so that they could take advantage of them.  Some even went so far as to try and separate a girlfriend from their boyfriend, and not let the boyfriend back in the house.  Whether this actually happened, I can't say, but that was a fairly common perception of the house.

Weren't Phi Delts also a bit questionable at that time?

sliman

I don't know current regulations, but at one time colleges had to file an annual report of crime on campus using a Unified Crime Reporting form that include definitions of crimes that may have been a bit different than many people would use.  This information was made available to parents and prospective students.  In the past, Valpo fared no worse, and in some years better, that most colleges in crime reported.

crusader05

Yes it's called the Clery Report.

While 1 is too high the number 8 for a campus of Valpo's size is not that shocking. I believe there was a bit of a scandal a couple years ago with Butler having a big jump in reported rapes as well.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 13, 2018, 09:17:57 AM

So, basically 1 out of every 20 VU students was arrested for something over a 9 month period. Am I the only person having a hard time buying these numbers.  This is conservative little alcohol free Valpo, after all - not a known party school like Wisconsin @ Madison.

swiftmutiny

A liquor law violation does not necessarily mean that there was an arrest. In 2017, only 5 of those 166 violations resulted in an arrest. You can view the full report here: https://www.valpo.edu/vupd/files/2018/09/2018_2017_COMBINED-ANNUAL_-SECURITY_REPORT__FIRE_SAFETY_REPORT_Final_vupd.pdf

historyman

I think many of you are being naive about what happens on college campuses and even in little old Valpo. As someone who knows someone that does ride share driving where many of the rides start or end on or near the VU campus the amount of alcohol consumed is still quite extensive despite the tight regulations of the VUPD and Valparaiso City PD.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusader05

Yes Valpo students do not drink at a lesser rate than other college students. It's a dry campus but then again so is Purdue.

Violations just are that the police have to document every contact they may have with an underage student who is intoxicated, not whether they made an arrest or issued a citation. This could include if they were called because a student may have needed medical attention, or if they drove a student home to their dorm. I know they refer a lot of these things through the residence halls vs arresting them so that's why the numbers look that way.