• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

RIP Verne Sanford

Started by valpopal, January 26, 2022, 10:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

An old friend and former faculty member, Verne Sanford, has passed away at the age of 86. Many of you may remember Verne from the Math department, but he was also an avid follower of Valparaiso sports, especially basketball. You might remember observing him regularly attending games in the bleachers with his wife. Even though he couldn't see the action because he was legally blind, he would listen to Todd's play-by-play on earphones attached to a portable radio and rely on his wife's descriptions. If I remember correctly, his granddaughter was a student who once led the VU Pep Band at games. His physical lack of vision never stopped him. He was often seen getting around campus or across town on his bicycle: I don't know how he did it. He read constantly with assistance of magnifying devices or braille texts, and he was excellent at woodwork, an example of which he once gave me as a gift for my son.

From the obituary: "Verne attained the education level of PhD and served as a Professor of Mathematics at Valparaiso University for 27 years. He volunteered with Boy Scouts, Valparaiso Low Vision Support Group, Valparaiso Exchange Club and other organizations.  Summers found him running the Dunes Campstore and Dairy Isle along with his children while wife Marie kept them all fed.  Hobbies included singing, reading, woodworking, fundraising and advocating for handicap accessibility.  He was a long-time member of Immanuel Lutheran Church."

In Memoriam
Verne Robert Sanford
September 4, 1935 – January 23, 2022
Department of Math and Computer Science
1960, 1967 - 1994
http://www.angelcrestinc.com/obituary_pages/obit_10.html

usc4valpo

I really like Prof. Sanford, excellent professor and nice engaging person to talk to. I remember the day after John Lennon was shot and we were talking about it, which was rough but important for us.

vu84v2

Prof. Sanford was definitely a good professor and good person who contributed to the learning of many students over the years. As an added note, I believe that usc4valpo and I took his Calculus 1 class together in the fall of 1980.

usc4valpo

yep, 8AM Mon Tu Th and Fri.  The math professors I had were all good except when I took Discrete Math structure, that instructor was an ass.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on January 26, 2022, 10:43:49 AM
An old friend and former faculty member, Verne Sanford, has passed away at the age of 86. Many of you may remember Verne from the Math department, but he was also an avid follower of Valparaiso sports, especially basketball. You might remember observing him regularly attending games in the bleachers with his wife. Even though he couldn't see the action because he was legally blind, he would listen to Todd's play-by-play on earphones attached to a portable radio and rely on his wife's descriptions. If I remember correctly, his granddaughter was a student who once led the VU Pep Band at games. His physical lack of vision never stopped him. He was often seen getting around campus or across town on his bicycle: I don't know how he did it. He read constantly with assistance of magnifying devices or braille texts, and he was excellent at woodwork, an example of which he once gave me as a gift for my son.

From the obituary: "Verne attained the education level of PhD and served as a Professor of Mathematics at Valparaiso University for 27 years. He volunteered with Boy Scouts, Valparaiso Low Vision Support Group, Valparaiso Exchange Club and other organizations.  Summers found him running the Dunes Campstore and Dairy Isle along with his children while wife Marie kept them all fed.  Hobbies included singing, reading, woodworking, fundraising and advocating for handicap accessibility.  He was a long-time member of Immanuel Lutheran Church."

In Memoriam
Verne Robert Sanford
September 4, 1935 – January 23, 2022
Department of Math and Computer Science
1960, 1967 - 1994
http://www.angelcrestinc.com/obituary_pages/obit_10.html

Verne Sanford Obituary
Here is Verne Sanford's obituary. Please accept Echovita's sincere condolences.

It is with deep sorrow that we announce the death of Verne Sanford of Valparaiso, Indiana, born in Waukegan, Illinois, who passed away on January 23, 2022, at the age of 86, leaving to mourn family and friends. Leave a sympathy message to the family in the guestbook on this memorial page of Verne Sanford to show support.

He was loved and cherished by many people including : his parents, Kenneth Sanford and Esther Sanford (Nickel); his wife Marie L. Dey; his children, Colleen Prough (Donald) of Goshen, IN, Keith Sanford (Ellen) of Arizona, Paul Sanford (Carole) of North Carolina, Linda Mader (Jerry) of Michigan and Amy Pendowski (Robert) of Wisconsin; his sisters, Delores Brandt of Illinois and Carol Walker of Montana; and his sister-in-law Sally Dey of Minnesota. He was also cherished by numerous grandchildren & great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to Foundation Fighting Blindness or an organization of the donor's choice.

Jan 29

Visitation
Immanuel Lutheran Church
1700 Monticello Park Dr, Valparaiso, IN 46383

Sat

Jan 29

Funeral service
Immanuel Lutheran Church
1700 Monticello Park Dr, Valparaiso, IN 46383

I was a classmate of one of Verne Sanford's children. I don't remember seeing her at any of the reunions and am saddened by the loss of another parent who was involved in the class. I remember seeing Verne in church on many occasions and his dedication to being involved in the life of the church was very inspiring since he had to overcome some obstacles that many of us could not fathom overcoming. Verne was truly inspiring. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann