• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Crusaders" as a mascot

Started by covufan, November 19, 2011, 09:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Massey now has a mascot search, including historical teams.  When I searched for "Crusaders" I found 241 teams - 26 college, 3 professional, and 212 high school. 

Here are the college teams:

http://www.mascotdb.com/displaymatches.php

And here is Massey's Mascot starting page, with link to "Mascot DB" at the bottom:

http://masseyratings.com/mascot.php

bbtds

I found this interesting. Here are the 100 most common team nicknames used in all of sports. From professional down to high school to elementary school:

1. Eagles
2. Tigers
3. Panthers
4. Bulldogs
5. Wildcats
6. Warriors
7. Lions
8. Indians (8th most popular despite all the PC stuff--Portage HS and Lake Central HS would agree)
9. Cougars
10. Knights
11. Mustangs
12. Falcons
13. Trojans
14. Cardinals
15. Vikings
16. Pirates
17. Raiders
18. Spartans
19. Rams
20. Bears
21. Patriots
22. Hawks
23. Hornets
24. Crusaders
25. Rebels
26. Bobcats
27. Braves (not PC)
28. Saints
29. Titans
30. Blue Devils
31. Yellowjackets
32. Jaguars
33. Wolves
34. Pioneers
35. Wolverines
36. Chargers
37. Dragons
38. Huskies
39. Rockets
40. Lancers
41. Chiefs
42. Colts
43. Comets
44. Red Devils
45. Senators
50. Rangers
51. Stars
52. Giants
53. Cubs
54. Royals
55. Broncos
56. Bearcats
57. Cavaliers
58. Cowboys
59. Owls
60. Golden Eagles
61. Thunder
62. Generals
63. Lakers
64. Buccaneers
65. Bruins
66. Gators
67. Storm
68. Redskins (also on the non-PC list)
69. Red Raiders
70. Bombers
71. Longhorns
72. Grizzlies
73. Reds
74. Greyhounds
75. Hurricanes
76. Highlanders
77. Miners
78. Coyotes
79. Flyers
80. Dodgers
81. Beavers
82. Oilers
83. Red Sox
84. Buffaloes
85. Bluejays
86. Thunderbirds
87. Mountaineers
88. Blazers
89. Clippers
90. Mavericks
91. Twins
92. Tornadoes
93. Monarchs
94. Orioles
95. Jets
96. Blues
97. Yankees
98. Maroons
99. Sharks
100. A's
101. Colonels
102. Blackhawks
103. Bison
104. Aces

vuweathernerd

#24. interesting. so much for political correctness crap. crusaders is far less offensive than redskins. it could be worse - our mascot could be an ethnic slur.

agibson

valporun

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 19, 2011, 02:47:03 PM
#24. interesting. so much for political correctness crap. crusaders is far less offensive than redskins. it could be worse - our mascot could be an ethnic slur.

We could always be the Pretzels or the Banana Slugs....

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on November 19, 2011, 10:01:24 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 19, 2011, 02:47:03 PM

We could always be the Pretzels or the Banana Slugs....

yes, that would also be worse. but at least it'd be unique as well.

agibson

I've got nothing against the Banana Slugs.

The Valparaiso Popcorn? 

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2011, 07:27:07 PM
I've got nothing against the Banana Slugs.

The Valparaiso Popcorn? 

By all means.  And then we can be like Green Bay and insist that the media treat it as a singular noun in all sentences that use the word Popcorn.

;)  Just playin'...  Pgmado can probably appreciate that one especially.

"The Valparaiso Popcorn is 5-1 so far this season..."

agibson

Hilarious!  Like we, collectively, are one big kernel.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2011, 09:34:00 PM
Hilarious!  Like we, collectively, are one big kernel.

That reminds me of the ABA team from Louisville, the Kentucky Colonels. Also the Midwest League minor league baseball team from Cedar Rapids, the Cedar Rapids Kernels.

Ralph

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2011, 07:27:07 PMI've got nothing against the Banana Slugs. The Valparaiso Popcorn?

I like it!

Another idea - Valparaiso Global Water.  If Alabama can have the Crimson Tide and Tulane can have the Green Wave, we can have the Global Water!

agibson

At the Christmas Tree Lighting I heard one undergrad suggest "The Fireworks".

Crusader03

If we shortened it to simply 'Saders it would be a) unique b) less offensive c) easier to say d) more marketable.

FWalum

More marketable??  I can just here them now... what are they sadder about?  :(     and the sadders came this close on that last attempt.....   :'(
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Another question is "did a jewish synagogue just buy that university?"  "Why do they now call them the 'Saders?"

Strange. The spell check doesn't like that word 'saders.  :lol:

Crusader03

Quote from: FWalum on December 22, 2011, 11:41:40 AM
More marketable??  I can just here them now... what are they sadder about?  :(     and the sadders came this close on that last attempt.....   :'(

Well, those people would be idiots.  'Sader is obviously not pronounced "sadder."  It's not like everyone would forget that we were the Cru"SADERS" either.

Crusader03

Even if you think 'Saders is not marketable, I've YET to hear anyone argue that it is not easier to say.  While "Crusaders" is kind of a mouthful, 'Saders rolls right off the tongue.  I think you'd hear us mentioned on Sportscenter, Round the Horn, etc a bunch more if the name was shortened.  JM2CTIFWIWWIA2C!

valporun

This is why so many sportscasters use 'Valpo', it sounds a lot more forceful and powerful than that version of "CRUsaders" that Crusader03 wants to use. Who cares what rolls off the tongue better. I take PRIDE in being a CRUSADER, and that's what is marketable to me...CRUSADER, not that garbage Crusader03 wants.

okinawatyphoon

You know, "fightin' Irish" doesn't really roll off the tongue well either. Perhaps they would prefer to just be called 'ish. Way more marketable!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Crusader03

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on December 23, 2011, 05:07:46 PM
You know, "fightin' Irish" doesn't really roll off the tongue well either. Perhaps they would prefer to just be called 'ish. Way more marketable!

As I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks ago, I have heard the Fightin' Irish referred to as the "'rish" on many occasions. 

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on December 23, 2011, 02:45:51 PM
This is why so many sportscasters use 'Valpo', it sounds a lot more forceful and powerful than that version of "CRUsaders" that Crusader03 wants to use. Who cares what rolls off the tongue better. I take PRIDE in being a CRUSADER, and that's what is marketable to me...CRUSADER, not that garbage Crusader03 wants.

I take PRIDE in being from VALPARAISO, and that's the name of the town...VALPARAISO, not that garbage VALPO VALPOrun wants.

StlVUFan

I think it's sad that we live in a lazy, short-cut society.  Pretty soon, nobody will be able to work their jaws enough to form complete words.  "Syllable" will become a superfluous word, because all words will only have one.

I have never ever heard anyone refer to the South Bend team as the 'rish.  Two syllables must leave such a person all tuckered out.  I for one have no desire to live an abbreviated life.

::)  :crazy:

Crusader03

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 24, 2011, 03:58:27 AM
I think it's sad that we live in a lazy, short-cut society.  Pretty soon, nobody will be able to work their jaws enough to form complete words.  "Syllable" will become a superfluous word, because all words will only have one.

I have never ever heard anyone refer to the South Bend team as the 'rish.  Two syllables must leave such a person all tuckered out.  I for one have no desire to live an abbreviated life.

Well, then I would suggest changing your name to SaintLouisValparaisoUniversityFan, posthaste friend!  The irony is delicious here!

sectionee

Ha! That's actually quite funny!

StlVUFan

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 24, 2011, 10:08:02 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on December 24, 2011, 03:58:27 AM

Well, then I would suggest changing your name to SaintLouisValparaisoUniversityFan, posthaste friend!  The irony is delicious here!

Stl and VU are widely accepted abbreviations that I had no part in inventing.  I'm not averse to all abbreviations.

By the by, I chose that handle a long time ago, using a message board that had a limitation on screen names.  I had to abbreviate.  In doing so, I didn't try to invent any new ones.

Jokes on you.