• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Unofficial Valpo Gear -- Honest Thoughts

Started by VUSERF, March 17, 2023, 08:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSERF

What options are there for producing unofficial Valpo gear with logos that are actually professional?

I have had enough with the Microsoft Powerpoint lantern, Microsoft Powerpoint lighthouse (w/ no connection to the university / region), and horrible dog mascots.

The only official Valpo gear I would ever entertain is with a "Shield of Character", because that was when we had competent artists and messaging. I am fine with the Beacons name change. That is not the issue for me. My concern is the art, messaging, and marketing associated with that name. Any name could be sold with the right art and branding.

I am legitimately curious what can we do to support the artists who have demonstrated much more skill, respect, and an understanding of the promise of Valparaiso University? I really would want t-shirts, hoodies, etc. with the cursive Valpo Scripting, the Chapel, and the Dunehawk carrying a lantern. As long as the merchandise does not say Valparaiso University anywhere it could work, right? We of course would need to get the blessings of the artist and provide sufficient funds for them (I forget their name but their logo is used on this message board). I could imagine people wearing this gear around at games or in the community. With a QR code on the shirt linking to a shop for the artist I believe we could generate sufficient grassroots support for this.

Note: The Dunehawk carrying a lantern would have been a perfect mascot for Valpo. Beaky the beacon. Clean and elegant.

Any Valpo Law grads care to weigh in?

NotBryceDrew

Sounds like a perfect question for @David81

vu72

Quote from: VUSERF on March 17, 2023, 08:10:28 AMThe only official Valpo gear I would ever entertain is with a "Shield of Character", because that was when we had competent artists and messaging. I am fine with the Beacons name change. That is not the issue for me. My concern is the art, messaging, and marketing associated with that name. Any name could be sold with the right art and branding.

Have you looked at the Bookstore site?  Some pretty nice stuff!

https://www.bkstr.com/valparaisostore/shop/clothing-accessories/men/sweatshirts-men
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

The good news is that there is almost nothing with the ridiculous lighthouse logo available for sale on the bookstore website, nor on seemingly related https://valpogear.merchorders.com/. The sooner that image is erased, the better.

(When it came out, I told my wife I would never wear any VU gear with a lighthouse logo on it under any circumstances, and I still hold that!)

VUSERF is asking about the alternate logo that includes the Chapel, yet I don't know about the branding rights for that.

VUSERF

I had ooked at the bookstore / merch sites in the past and found a lot of nice stuff, but only with the shield of character logo. These I am happy to buy because they look great.

The alternative logos though just depress me. Last time I was physically in the bookstore I saw a bunch of lighthouse and lantern shirts. Sounds like those are being phased out. If they are, perhaps now is a good chance to generate excitement around better logos before the marketing department ruins the next attempt?

I am curious if enough fan / community / student support can be generated for the better logos and mascots. They removed the Crusaders head during my sophomore year because it looked so bad. Perhaps the dogs, PowerPoint lantern, and lighthouse can all be sent to the pound?

David81

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on March 17, 2023, 02:23:36 PM
Sounds like a perfect question for @David81

Sorry folks, I'm not an intellectual property lawyer!

I'll offer as a general point that among the designs & logos that could invite a cease-and-desist letter, those that might be easily confused with university-sponsored gear are the most vulnerable. Other than that, I'm sure there are some attorneys familiar with IP issues that can provide more authoritative guidance.  :)

I do understand the reactions to the official University gear. Even if they were determined to change the name, the translation to designs & logos should've been considered. Which is why I liked the Valparaiso Storm. But I'll let go of that for now.

SlimJimJZ

I do hope the University does an Athletics Rebrand with more modern secondary logos to go along with the Shield. However, I hope we can get more of a presence on Fanatics and a better variety of options.

Just looking at another MVC member, Bradley, they have a pretty large selection of merch. https://www.fanatics.com/college/bradley-braves/o-38+t-56587803+z-960226-4039202683

crusader05

I'll never understand why they went with a lighthouse as their example of the beacon when the Flame was right there. MOdel it after the torches outside of campus and call it a day. It also incorporates well into the shield.

I know i'm an outsider but the dogs as mascots are a hit and I think a good idea. I saw them at the popcorn fest and they were getting mobbed by kids. Mascots are for the kids and these seem to have hit the sweet spot. I know my kid loves them and looks for them at every game and has a fun time interacting with them when they have been around.

David81

Quote from: crusader05 on March 18, 2023, 08:07:21 AM
I'll never understand why they went with a lighthouse as their example of the beacon when the Flame was right there. MOdel it after the torches outside of campus and call it a day. It also incorporates well into the shield.

I know i'm an outsider but the dogs as mascots are a hit and I think a good idea. I saw them at the popcorn fest and they were getting mobbed by kids. Mascots are for the kids and these seem to have hit the sweet spot. I know my kid loves them and looks for them at every game and has a fun time interacting with them when they have been around.

I understand that the mascot thing has added to the naming thing as issues for some folks, but I'm glad, in any event, that the kids are drawn to the dogs. It makes for good memories for the little kiddos.

usc4valpo

Please. The mascots are woke and stupid, and and my wife, daughters and friends give me grief over that. As long as the theatre and creative writing majors are happy, I guess we move on.

valpo64

Kids will flock to a pig with lipstick...the dogs are a joke like many other of our marketing ideas.  Let's get serious folks.    Let's admit it...they are "comfort dogs".   And even they aren't doing well.

VUSERF

https://www.valpo.edu/marcom/trademark-licensing/

To further demonstrate the incompetence of Valpos Marketing and Communications department they still only list "Valparaiso Crusaders" and the "Crusaders Mascot" as legally protected trademarks. What a joke.

Clean house.

I think unofficial merch saying Valparaiso or Valpo would be fine as city names are in the public domain.

Does anyone know if putting the lantern that mimics the chapel would fall under the trademark protections? Its not on any logos (directly) although the Powerpoint lighthouse has a "crown" on top of it. That might cause some trademark issues as the lighthouse logo is included on some shirts. However, one could probably argue that the trademarked image of the lighthouse is sufficiently different from a lantern.

Also, the dunehawk should be completely free of trademark issues.

Thoughts?

VUSERF

Also curious about Valpo community interest in nostalgia shirts / sweaters.

This includes 2010s Crusader (depending on how long this is trademarked)

1990s Crusader (same issue)

And the Uhlongs.

A "fallen mascots" shirt. If the use of those images fall under parody they can be more protected from trademark laws. Would probably need a Valpo Law grad to go to bat for that though.

VUSERF

If anyone has the artist Bryan Flynn's contact information could you please send it to me in a DM?

I do not have twitter so cannot reach out that way.

SlimJimJZ

Quote from: VUSERF on March 18, 2023, 03:18:19 PM
If anyone has the artist Bryan Flynn's contact information could you please send it to me in a DM?

I do not have twitter so cannot reach out that way.
Bryan lists his instagram as @spadeandheart, but I don't see any contact email listed on his social media accounts

usc4valpo

VUSERF

Did a little digging for fun on this topic over the weekend and it is probably a bit too much of a pipedream.

Fun idea but likely not a realistic scenario.

Perhaps "voting with the wallet" and only purchasing items with the good logos developed prior to the rebrand is the best way to go.

Also I really like that Valpo explicitly states: "Revenues collected on licensed merchandise support the University's scholarship program." At least the good logos can directly support the students.  Went into this post grouchy and belligerent, coming out grouchy with begrudging respect.

Always fun to dream about "sticking it to the man", though. 

David81

So..............

I recall that back in my student days, I had a heavy T shirt that simply said Valparaiso University in big letters. No logo or art of any kind, other than the gold shirt and the brown lettering. It appears that athletic gear with that simpler design is still being sold. Why not go with that if the nickname and mascot stuff are so objectionable?

True, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of "Beacons," I confess that I'm not among those outraged by the change from "Crusaders." However, as I've said elsewhere, as an old fashioned liberal who believes in civil rights and all that, the name change is not the DEI hill I would've been willing to die on to enhance diversity at Valparaiso. But conversations about these matters and others have changed, to the point where among some, positions deemed conciliatory are seen as being traitorous. Such are the extremes at both ends unduly shaping our debate.

Anyway, I think you can still buy gear with the Valparaiso University name on it that won't push buttons on the nickname or logo, and wear it with affection and connection. I know that won't undo the name change or get rid of the dogs, but an acceptable way of showing school loyalty and affiliation is still possible.

soapyjeans

I think the Dunehawk with a Golden Shield would be best all around.  Good for revenue, represents school & area, emits a competitive nature as well as character.  I can picture fans/people happily purchasing anything with a Dunehawk/shield on it.  I also understand why dogs/lighthouse doesn't sell well (sorta bland, generic).  Isn't the purpose of having a logo/brand is to garner support, or show support?  Then the school needs to give the people something they can support emotionally as well as financially.  Just my thoughts  :twocents:

historyman

You are being indicted by uscvalpo and will serve a year defending Lottich in the court of public opinion. It will seem like seven.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

David81

Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2023, 06:58:12 PM

You are being indicted by uscvalpo and will serve a year defending Lottich in the court of public opinion. It will seem like seven.

🤣🤣🤣

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUSERF

Oops "uhlans". "Bruce" will never forgive me  ::)

Also, the College of Engineering used to have its own mascot. I found a plywood cutout of him shoved in a closet one year.

I think his name was"HerbertHarold". He was a very nerdy and goofy crusader with electrical bolts in his hands, a t-square as a sword, and a shield with gears in it. I believe this was to capture the core engineering disciplines of electrical, civil, and mechanical, respectively.

I wish I had an image of him. Anyone remember him or have an image of him? I thought he was great.

historyman

Quote from: VUSERF on March 19, 2023, 07:18:50 PM
Oops "uhlans". "Bruce" will never forgive me  ::)

Also, the College of Engineering used to have its own mascot. I found a plywood cutout of him shoved in a closet one year.

I think his name was"HerbertHarold". He was a very nerdy and goofy crusader with electrical bolts in his hands, a t-square as a sword, and a shield with gears in it. I believe this was to capture the core engineering disciplines of electrical, civil, and mechanical, respectively.

I wish I had an image of him. Anyone remember him or have an image of him? I thought he was great.

Follow the link for an article on & pic of Herman.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon-us-rvc3&sxsrf=AJOqlzWtcJkZRNUKeXBS7ceBWDOPKnxGzQ:1679293311549&q=Valparaiso+University+College+of+Engineering+mascot&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijy7uK7-n9AhXPj4kEHc-rAw8Q0pQJegQIChAB&biw=388&bih=762&dpr=2.79#imgrc=mv_ST_wI1YVgPM

valpo64

One thing President Padilla did early in his tenure was bring back the old Valpo Seal that could be reproduced up to then.  For many years it was not allowed to be reproduced on clothing, etc.  Why and how that ever happened I do not know.