• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Making a trip to Valpo tomorrow!

Started by usc4valpo, April 28, 2023, 09:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I am seeing a friend tomorrow at Valpo and will cruise around some. I haven't been on campus since 2019. Not sure what I will see but should be fun!

wh

The campus looks beautiful right now. Be sure to check out the old downtown. Lots of great changes always going on there. The east gate commercial area is becoming a junior shopping mecca. For some of us old timers, it's starting to feel a little crowded. ;) Have fun.

David81

Back in my day, Valparaiso was more a small city abutting the University than a "university town." But it's a much livelier and more attractive place today.

usc4valpo

I am having lunch at a place called Ndustrial Revolution where they have a TV in the men's restroom playing Three Stooges episodes. sounds great already!

historyman

FYI, IR has a model train that circles the dining area & kitchen. The prices are high but the portions are big. You get what you pay for. There are specials everyday that honor people in the Industrial world or generally famous people.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 29, 2023, 06:39:20 AM
I am having lunch at a place called Ndustrial Revolution where they have a TV in the men's restroom playing Three Stooges episodes. sounds great already!

Have been to IR multiple times when visiting there - good place to go for lunch. The building was a Sambo's when I was a student, but has been dramatically remodeled.

usc4valpo

The trip yesterday was awesome. I saw some old friends and toured around the campus and city.

I visited my fraternity which I have not seen in decade. Let's say it was nostalgic and the brothers were very cordial. I felt like a real old fart but that's fine.  We talk about experiences, majors, etc., and all mentioned the desperate need for Valpo to rake in more money. All were also very pleased with the new basketball coach and the change.

The Industrial Revolution was really cool. I think it was where the old Jackson's was. Great ambiance, homey service and good food! I highly recommend it when visiting Valpo.

The campus overall is beautiful but very dead. Nobody walking around but it was a bit rainy. The dorms really need some love, but Guild and Memorial at least to me look great. Wherenburg is butt ugly. I had tears almost seeing Gellersen and all the memories and sweat and headaches from engineering classes and labs. The solar energy building looks really cool.

Downtown Valpo is awesome! Looks so much like a college town with the shops and restaurants. Very well updated where they kept the history. The city has a lot to be proud of.

A great memorable day.

talksalot

You're off by a railroad bridge. Jackson's, now called Duffys,  is on Axe Ave.... just west of IR.  that IR site started as a Sambos... then Dennys...etc.. 

David81

For alums returning to visit, the city center offers so much more in terms of casual dining. The whole look is bright and inviting.

I do wonder where students go for an inexpensive meal off campus. I remember how Perkins Pancake House and the Big Wheel were the favorite places for affordable "splurge" meals. And I know that many of us could attribute much of our "freshman 15" to the Stromboli sub trucks that came through campus for late night food replenishment. (Those sandwiches were actually quite good.)

Sorry, lapsing into nostalgia, always easy for me.

usc4valpo

David81, oh yeah, those Strombolis were the bomb! Downtown Valpo was very impressive and certainly more high end than our college days. We saw Greeks Pizzeria was still around, not sure the greasy pepperoni would be compatible to my digestive system.

We toured old campus a bit, and I'm sure it has been discussion frequently here - it's a shame they tore down some of the old buildings.

vu84v2

Quote from: David81 on April 30, 2023, 11:29:18 PM
For alums returning to visit, the city center offers so much more in terms of casual dining. The whole look is bright and inviting.

I do wonder where students go for an inexpensive meal off campus. I remember how Perkins Pancake House and the Big Wheel were the favorite places for affordable "splurge" meals. And I know that many of us could attribute much of our "freshman 15" to the Stromboli sub trucks that came through campus for late night food replenishment. (Those sandwiches were actually quite good.)

Sorry, lapsing into nostalgia, always easy for me.

Lapsing a bit more into nostalgia. When I was at Valpo, there was a breakfast restaurant called The Annex that we often went to on Sundays. Good solid breakfast food that most any college student could afford.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 01, 2023, 05:49:35 AM
David81, oh yeah, those Strombolis were the bomb! Downtown Valpo was very impressive and certainly more high end than our college days. We saw Greeks Pizzeria was still around, not sure the greasy pepperoni would be compatible to my digestive system.

We toured old campus a bit, and I'm sure it has been discussion frequently here - it's a shame they tore down some of the old buildings.

Darn it, ever since I mentioned the Stromboli trucks here, I've been jonesing for one. I don't think I've had one of those sandwiches since back then! They really hit the spot -- and, unfortunately, tended to stay there! LOLOL.

When I spent some time at VU in 2016, I found myself drawn to walking around old campus. By then, a lot of the old buildings had been taken down. Still, I could feel the ghosts of my days at VU and those from decades ago when old campus was the center of the University. By contrast, the heart of the new campus looked so different from my days, replete with redirected roads, that it felt a little unfamiliar.

A sidebar: In "Animal House," one of the opening scenes pictures a residence hall that looks a lot like Wehrenberg or Brandt in basic design. 🤣

VU2022

Make sure you eat at the uptown cafe (and grab coffee) if you're visiting. Best restaurant ever, and was the main college hangout when I was there 

NotBryceDrew

Great hearing about your trip USC, glad it went well