• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Homecoming 2023

Started by historyman, September 26, 2023, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

John Wolfenberg

Yesterday at 2:27 PM      (9/25/2023)

Just returned from our 1400 mile trip to Valparaiso University. It was a wonderful trip and I have not laughed so much, or so hard in years. At times, it was hard to recognize and separate the real memories from all the BS.  Our minds are not what they used to be, and the alcohol consumed only added to the confusion. 
We all came to the conclusion that we are are truly blessed to be healthy and talked about some of our fellow classmates who had passed,  but we have not forgotten.   Pictures below are of my basketball teammates who attended, our fraternity house (now condemned) and the beautiful Valpo chapel.

+2
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

What years did John Wolfenberg play?  My father played basketball (football and baseball, as well) at St. Olaf College from the 1970-1971 to 1973-1974 seasons, and they played 2 games against Valpo during that time, with 1 in MN and the other at Valpo.  Both were obviously large wins for Valpo by around 40, though St. Olaf did well against their other competition. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on September 27, 2023, 01:37:07 AM
What years did John Wolfenberg play?  My father played basketball (football and baseball, as well) at St. Olaf College from the 1970-1971 to 1973-1974 seasons, and they played 2 games against Valpo during that time, with 1 in MN and the other at Valpo.  Both were obviously large wins for Valpo by around 40, though St. Olaf did well against their other competition. 

Wolfenberg played from 1970-73.  During that time, and for many years, Valpo hosted the "Crusader Classic" where they hosted two other Lutheran colleges for a tournament. In the 70-71 season St. Olaf was one of the invitees and lost to Valpo 109-79.  The next time they came to campus was in the 73-74 season where St. Olaf lost 114-74.  Historically, Valpo has only played the Oles 4 times, the first being in the 30's,  I doubt Valpo would have ever traveled to Northfield.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on September 27, 2023, 09:15:36 AM

Wolfenberg played from 1970-73.  During that time, and for many years, Valpo hosted the "Crusader Classic" where they hosted two other Lutheran colleges for a tournament. In the 70-71 season St. Olaf was one of the invitees and lost to Valpo 109-79.  The next time they came to campus was in the 73-74 season where St. Olaf lost 114-74.  Historically, Valpo has only played the Oles 4 times, the first being in the 30's,  I doubt Valpo would have ever traveled to Northfield.

It looks like the Oles' records may not track back with 100% accuracy, as they did end up listing one of them as home and the other as away:

https://athletics.stolaf.edu/sports/mens-basketball/opponent-history/valparaiso-university/176
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Does anyone know the year that they stopped doing the VU Homecoming parade floats on Lincolnway?  Those were great memories. At some point they pulled it onto campus and that seemed to kill it pretty fast.

covufan

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 16, 2023, 01:52:18 PM
Does anyone know the year that they stopped doing the VU Homecoming parade floats on Lincolnway?  Those were great memories. At some point they pulled it onto campus and that seemed to kill it pretty fast.
Don't know, but I remember mid to late 80's doing the Parade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VULB#62

In the late 60s every fraternity and sorority, along with other campus organizations had hand-built floats that were part of a pretty big parade.  As a minimum, bands included the VU Marching Band along with the VHS Marching Band and often other local HS bands.  It was kind of a big deal - as big as today's Popcorn Festival parade.   

usc4valpo

crusadermoe

It's too bad Homecoming can't move all the way back to the start of Hoops practice, but I don't think weather would be a good bet on October 15. 

Even without that date, could something be organized around basketball without stepping all over volleyball and football that weekend? It's a hard line to walk I guess. 

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on September 27, 2023, 09:15:36 AM

I was talking to my father about this tournament the other day, and he mentioned that he even made the All-Tournament team lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"