• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Debt-free Junior Colleges

Started by VULB#62, November 06, 2023, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I saw this CNN link on the PFL site and thought it was worth a discussion here. The lead story is about Butler and also mentions that Loyola Chicago and the University of St. Thomas have started similar efforts.

Is this something Valpo should consider?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/03/us/butler-university-debt-free-college-reaj/index.html

crusadermoe

Interesting.

isn't that similar to what VU is doing with Valpo Access or Access Valpo?  I haven't paid attention to the details of it.

VULB#62

Could be, IDK. That's why I posted it.

Basically it is FREE 2-year college education and associate degree to first gen, economically (i.e., low income) and educationally qualified students that responds to the recent SCOTUS decision on affirmative action. If Valpo Access is structured like Butler's, then I'm ticked VU wasn't mentioned. 😠

Here's the link. It sounds VERY similar, but in my cursory reading, I didn't see any obvious reference to it being free.

https://www.valpo.edu/access-college/about/

crusadermoe

On my quick read, I don't see any signal of "free" either.  The clue to me is that it requires that you receive a Pell grant.  By requiring a Pell grant Valpo is able to immediately screen for student need and they immediately have a source of income.  Whether the student pays a cost above the Pell grant is something I don't know.

Valpo was always looking for football players on Pell grants because they couldn't give athletics scholarship.  The Pell grants brought actual money to the school.

VULB#62

Thanks, Moe.

BTW, what is there to do in Rugby, ND?

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Rugby has long considered itself the geographic center of North America. While that has recently come up for debate, there is no doubt that the north-central North Dakota town is a hub of activities and attractions, beginning with the monument that proclaims Rugby the [/size][size=1.8rem]Geographic Center of North America[/size][/b][/i][/size]. The center is marked with a monument or cairn that is pyramid form in shape. It is 21 feet high, 6 feet wide at its base, and setting on a heart shaped foundation. Nearby is the [/size][size=1.8rem]Northern Lights Tower[/size], a monument honoring the Aurora Borealis, which dance through the night skies.[/font]
[/size]Rugby was also once the home of the world's tallest man, Clifford Thompson.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Ah, a must see stop on my way to Montana to visit my daughter.  :thumbsup:

crusadermoe

It's a sarcastic reference to our old "Mid-Continent" conference of 1994-2004.  Many older posters dating back into the  early 2000s will our recall our vigilant drumbeat, a true "Crusade" to leave this horrific conference. Many blamed Pres. Harre, who later turned to be a strong advocate for moving up to the Horizon. 

So, I sought the true MIDDLE OF THE CONTINENT (yes..Rugby, ND) from which to launch my formidable sarcastic and data-guided missles along with many other posters.  The Mid-Con cities spanned from Youngstown State in eastern Ohio to Southern Utah, several hours from Vegas.  The massive footprint later added Centenary in Shreveport, LA as an impressive "Where's Waldo" addition.

For those newer to the board, Valpo won its tournament and the NCAA bid in 1996, 1997, 1998, and then in 2000, 2002, and 2004 (under Scott).  Then LaBarbera was hired as the new AD and got us into the Horizon League quickly in 2005. At the time and through 2012 or so, it had Butler. UW-M had also won NCAA games.  That 7 year delay in moving up to play Butler and horizon teams cost us dearly and quandered the publicity boon we gained from "The Shot" in 1998'