• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Magazine goes all digital

Started by David81, December 15, 2023, 03:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Per an emailed announcement, Valpo Magazine will now be delivered in an all digital format. Thoughts?

David81

There's no doubt that VU's move to publish Valpo Magazine in an all-digital format will save a lot of money on print and mailing costs. However, I think it may be a penny-wise and print-foolish decision.

Personally, I've moved my newspaper subscriptions to all-digital format. It's how I read the daily news, and it saves me a lot of money.

On the other hand, I still enjoy receiving printed copies of publications that have a shelf life for longer than a day or two. That includes alumni publications. I'll at least look at every page of Valpo Magazine. I like flipping through each copy. By contrast, it's a different experience reading it online. Among other things, the current format does not permit a download of a pdf. Instead, one has to click around to get a sense of the full issue.

I'm quite sure that readership of the online edition -- in terms of the % of recipients clicking to the issue and the % of stories at least earning clicks -- will decline compared to readership of the print version, though obviously we have no way of comparing. This will be the case for older alums especially (i.e., those with more money to donate, on average). I think the decision makers underestimated the degree to which a print magazine creates a more tangible connection.

....or maybe I'm officially a dinosaur who doesn't comprehend that the rest of the world would prefer digital delivery.

valpopal

I have designed, constructed, and edited online journals since the 1990s; therefore, I was initially impressed by the slickness of the new digital Valpo Magazine. From a technical standpoint, it is an admirable publication. However, I did notice a few drawbacks that could be easily remedied. First, although viewing the site on my computer I could find a drop-down menu with clickable contents, that feature seems absent on my tablet. (There is a good search mechanism, especially for finding related stories grouped in Topics or by College; however, I wonder how many readers will find it and be comfortable with it for navigating.)

Also, as has been mentioned, a pdf feature that allows one to download a version approximating a print edition would be helpful. For many who might come upon this digital publication, it will seem overwhelming, and one could get lost browsing through the site, wondering if an article has been missed along the way. This would especially be true for any readers who are not sophisticated or confident with such technology, which would include a number of older members of the audience, a key demographic as potential donors. There is a good chance for off-putting frustration.

I read almost all my daily literature—magazines, books, newspapers, etc.—digitally, but I would like to see the options of creating a pdf of Valpo Magazine or printing a copy that resembles a traditional magazine spatial format. A more obvious clickable Table of Contents prominently displayed upon entry would also aid anyone who might become confused by the layout. Steve Jobs used to tell his engineers that no matter how advanced the technology might be, it was inaccessible and useless without a convenient interface that doesn't alienate users.