• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Police Arrests at Drinking Party

Started by valpopal, December 15, 2014, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpofan00

I thought 4 mens basketball players were arrested?

HC

a3uge

Of course it's Jubril. Can't do anything right this season.

Pgmado

I posted this question on Twitter.

If a party of 100 VU students was busted for underage drinking and a party of 100 VHS students was busted for underage drinking, which would result in more arrests?

hailcrusaders

Hammink, who's ineligible, and Jubril. Definitely not a good situation, but could have been much worse.
#CrusadersForever

Chairback

You suspend them.  It's simple.  You are a student athlete and know you are under more scrutiny than other students.

Plus your conduct and "perception" is talked numerous times during team meetings.

Also, I find it strange that grown men are posting links to players girlfriends pictures.  I know they are online for all to see but to post a link is freaking weird!

HC

I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit disturbed by how quickly some of these dudes are posting pictures of players and their girlfriends.  :crazy:

Jubril could use a few games off, might do him some good.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, that explains it.  If my FTs were like that, I'd be driven to drink too.

But, in all honesty, if the NCAA jerked me around, I'd probably drink all season too :/  All dressed up and no place to play.

Quote from: Pgmado on December 15, 2014, 07:26:04 PM

If a party of 100 VU students was busted for underage drinking and a party of 100 VHS students was busted for underage drinking, which would result in more arrests?
Easy.  VHS students.  After all, it's already been proven that even Jeff Samardzija (w/o looking spelling up) couldn't outrun the cops...

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: HC on December 15, 2014, 07:30:37 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit disturbed by how quickly some of these dudes are posting pictures of players and their girlfriends.  :crazy:

So posting pictures from a public forum like Facebook is somehow weird? Get a grip on reality. There was no "lurid" nature to my post. Jeez.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

Lol. This week I've been told to "keep stay in' lame" by an 8th grade girl and to "get a grip on reality" by an old man my week is complete and it's only Monday night. I just find it strange, and I'm glad I wasn't alone, that people are posting pictures like this. That's all sorry if you took offense.

valpofan11

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2014, 07:46:47 PM
Well, that explains it.  If my FTs were like that, I'd be driven to drink too.

But, in all honesty, if the NCAA jerked me around, I'd probably drink all season too :/  All dressed up and no place to play.

Quote from: Pgmado on December 15, 2014, 07:26:04 PM

Easy.  VHS students.  After all, it's already been proven that even Jeff Samardzija (w/o looking spelling up) couldn't outrun the cops...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm guessing though that Jubril will sit the next few or several games.

vu72

We're all part of the forum family! If  I did something wrong I would respect your opinion.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

SanityLost17

100+ people at a college party....Sounds lame!  I'm sure that when we were sophomores in college that none of us would have attended something like that....

bbtds

Jubril: Anybody going to the party at Gadson's house?

Nick: NO!!!!!!!!

Jubril: Shane? Shane? Wake up! You need a party!

Darien: Whatever you do, David, don't go to Gadson's party!

David: Who Gadson?

EVic: Damn! I was gonna slam it! ESPN, baby!

LaPorteAveApostle

you know it's a big deal in these here parts when we have two whole threads on the same topic
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Man, leave Jubril alone about his play.  The dude has a motor, and has been solid in defending larger guys.  He isn't a scorer, rather more of a defense/rebound guy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: HC on December 15, 2014, 07:30:37 PM

We know you clicked them...

vu72

What really bothers me i that these two guys, hear about a get to gether and stop by. Somebody says " you guys want a beer"? And they take a glass and have a few drinks.

All hell breaks lose and they get caught up with the babe in the ceiling. TOTAL BS.
These kids are acting like college kids. SHOCKING; I know.
It is truly unfortunate that Valpo has become a police state. Can you imagine what Shane is thinking?? "I left LSU for this???

Pgmado

Quote from: Pgmado on December 15, 2014, 07:26:04 PMIf a party of 100 VU students was busted for underage drinking and a party of 100 VHS students was busted for underage drinking, which would result in more arrests?

Although I've been here 12 of the last 15 years, I'll always be a Northwest Indiana outsider. This has been explained to me over the years by friends I've made that have no connection to the university, or "VU" as they snobbishly refer to it. There is absolutely no love lost for the university when it comes to many people from the town. It's almost as if natives from Valpo are angered by the fact that people associate Valparaiso with the university as opposed to, I don't know, the high school, Orville, etc. There are certain communities that embrace being college towns and it almost seems as if Valparaiso the town is constantly trying to apologize for having a college here.

What does this all have to do with the arrests? The students that go to the university aren't "our own" like the high school students are. I know of high school parties that have gotten broken up by cops in town with no recourse other than "get home to your parents." I remember the 18 yr. old star running back for a local high school being arrested for underage drinking and the media ignoring the story because "nobody wants to read that" when at the same time the local media has no trouble with writing about a fifth-string VU offensive lineman getting busted for drinking.

If there is anything to be taken from this situation, it's this -- more than 100 college students were at a party on Saturday (to say nothing of the 250 that were at a party the previous weekend) and all the cops got was alcohol. No weed. No coke. No heroin. No Adderall. Just alcohol. It could've been much worse.

I'm sure my view isn't all that popular and knowing that this is a VU forum, perhaps I'm preaching to the choir. Go to nearly any other college town and these kids would've been given tickets for underage drinking instead of getting arrested. Maybe it's because I'm from Milwaukee, but I'll never understand why this town/state has such a negative idea of alcohol. Can't buy it on Sundays. Can't have more than a handful of three-way liquor licenses in the town. Can't drink on election day. Can't walk down the street drunk. I can remember when I went to college that we'd say it was easier to avoid the cops if you were drinking and driving as opposed to drinking and walking.

Finally, Valparaiso is a Lutheran school. What was Jesus' first miracle? Exactly.

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on December 15, 2014, 10:39:12 PM
Man, leave Jubril alone about his play.  The dude has a motor, and has been solid in defending larger guys.  He isn't a scorer, rather more of a defense/rebound guy.
I'm with you valpotx. If we lose him for any length of time it is really going to hurt.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

KL31NY

For a trip down memory/Lind Lane, type "1103 Lind Lane" in the Times' search, and this brief from 2010 comes up in addition to the recent arrests: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/crimebriefs/article_eb0ef03c-c798-5ab3-b1af-3f501bb2f8c7.html
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

Kyle321n

I echo Paul's comments, and I'm a NW Indiana resident my entire life, but I have some questions about said "drinking party".

I think I've been to a drinking party or two in my life, but never called it a drinking party, in fact this is the first time I've heard of this term. Do we no longer call these types of parties a house party?
Does there have to be food for it to qualify as a house party?
Was there no food at this party?
That's a pretty terrible host to not have at least some cookies, right?
How mad would you be at the worst Anne Frank impression ever? I know I would be furious at her if I was also in the attic!
Back to the party itself, do you think it was BYOB or charge for a cup and drink from the keg?
If it was charge by the cup, do you think the cops took that money? I mean it was illegally gained.
You think you get your deposit back on the keg or is that evidence that the cops take?
On the semantics of "drinking party", would they just call it a party if there were drugs involved?
If there was no drinking involved but there were drugs would it have been called a "drug party", probably not right?
Do you think they had games? I mean they obviously had beer pong, because every "drinking party" has beer pong, but I mean games like Cards Against Humanity or an Wii hooked up to the TV with like Mario Party.
Do kids still play games like that at parties? At our final party at our one friends house (they moved out, no one had a good house to party at anymore as the rest of us are apartment renters) we played Goldeneye to kick up the nostalgia factor for us 20-somethings.
Now I really want to know what the parties we threw in my friends basement. We have a lot of booze, but we also made food so we could eat through out the party. Granted we all of age.

Seriously if you're throwing a booze filled party, get some food. That's my advice to all potential party throwers. Then it won't be an ominous sounding "drinking party".
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu84v2

I think that pgmado makes some great points in his comments.  I had thought that the relationship between the town and the university had gotten better in recent years, but apparently the people that live in Valparaiso are still indifferent towards the university.  The town being indifferent to the university makes no sense to me, though, when you consider what the town residents get from having the university.  First, they get entertainment options way beyond what a town like Valparaiso could readily afford if there was no university.  Besides sports, the university offers a lot in terms of concerts, drama, speakers, art, etc.  All of these are almost totally funded within the university and town residents are always welcome.  Second, the university brings some wealthy students but clearly brings a lot of good paying jobs.  One would wonder what percentage of the town's economy is based on spending from the university and from employees of the university.  Third. because of the first two items, property values are likely higher and more stable during economic downturns.  If what pgmado is saying is true, the residents really are not looking at the big picture very well.

We have lived in Lawrence, KS for the last 3 1/2 years.  While the ratio of students to residents is a little higher in Lawrence (~23,000/90,000) than Valparaiso (~4500/30,000), the people in Lawrence really embrace the university.  When you look at the "always full" Allen Fieldhouse, remember that of the 16,300 for each game only about 4500 are students and another 1,000 are faculty and staff.  The balance comes from the town.  While one would certainly argue that Kansas has a much better history than pretty much any program in the country, those residents are also paying top dollar for tickets (season tickets for basketball start at $1250 each and require a donation to the athletic scholarship fund).  Other sports are well supported and all other university activites are open to residents.  The result is a friendly town where the university and town really support each other - and this is where the town of Valparaiso needs to be.

I have a friend that is a police officer in Lawrence.  When I asked him about student underage drinking, he said that they really don't want to arrest any students and if they are polite and discard the alcohol and leave, they just let it drop.  Of course if they are stupid and give the officer a hard time, are a danger to themselves or someone else, damage property, etc., then they arrest them.  Frankly, this is what the Valparaiso police need to do as well...though in the case of this party I definitely feel that they should arrest the people that were running the party and providing that much alcohol to underage students.

The situation with Jubril Adekoya is remarkably similar to the recent situation in Lawrence with Jamari Traylor.  Both are from Chicago, both are 4s that sometimes play the 5, both had not had great seasons so far, etc.  Traylor got arrested at a party in a club for interfering with a police officer (not physically).  His punishment was a one game suspension and, I am sure, lots of running.  One or two games would be a reasonable punishment for Adekoya and it needs to start the next game (IPFW).  Hopefully Adekoya will come back llike Traylor did, he was key to beating Utah and had his best game of the year.

vu72

Quote from: KL31NY on December 16, 2014, 09:48:43 AM
For a trip down memory/Lind Lane, type "1103 Lind Lane" in the Times' search, and this brief from 2010 comes up in addition to the recent arrests: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/crimebriefs/article_eb0ef03c-c798-5ab3-b1af-3f501bb2f8c7.html

Those police reports are really funny! I love the one about the guy wanting to be arrested for drinking while on probation.  The cops said he wasn't drunk so couldn't arrest him for that.  At this point he became disorderly and was then arrested for being disorderly!!    :rotfl:  If I read this correctly Tony Taibi,another football player who is also graduating, was one of the kids arrested in 2010.