• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Elephant in the Room

Started by VULB#62, March 08, 2020, 06:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

1998. The Shot. Little Valpo leaped upon the National scene, not only athletically but into the fiber of American sports culture. That appearance also put the university on the radar screens of millions of Americans in a way that it had never experienced. The future of Valpo basketball and, more importantly, the university itself seemed brighter than ever before. But that brightness dimmed over the years.  The excitement and potential of The Shot were totally squandered by a myopic administration at the time. It had no idea of how that exposure could translate to increased applications and national interest. So the clueless university just puttered along its unimaginative path toward a continuing status quo. And despite moving to two new conferences in the interim, it has played the "do it at a minimum commitment and hope it works out" card continually.

Fast forward 21 years. After 37 seasons, and especially the last 10 or so seasons under Mike Avery, where our teams beat some top 25 teams on a pretty regular basis despite little  support, the VU administration hypocritically dropped men's soccer, an MVC sponsored sport, on November 19, 2019. Despite representing the university's ideals probably better than any other Valpo organization (i.e., OneValpo, St. Baldricks, TOCO, numerous academic achievements), it was the victim of "a business decision."  At the same time they also axed men's tennis which has been a stellar representative of both athletic and academic excellence over the last 10 years as well. It was also just business in a context where Valpo professed to strive for champions in the classroom, community and competition. Neither soccer nor tennis achieved the same notoriety of The Shot, but they cemented the values of what I thought "could" be a great university.

In my eyes, both in 1998 and 2019, the university failed in each of these opportunities and the culmination of this was the final straw for me. I bailed on the institution in complete frustration.  I also withdrew from the Valpo Fan Board — my enthusiasm totally depleted.

But my love for the kids who place their hearts on the line every game never changed nor did my respect for the coaches who led them. So I have lurked on the VU athletic site and the Valpo Fan Board since November. I've followed every shot of Arch Madness and am thrilled for Matt and those unbelievably gutty kids. We made the final and, in the process, have destroyed MVC tradition. Win or lose against Bradley, we have achieved something millions will see on national TV on CBS on Sunday.  Valpo's exposure is going to be off the charts.

THE PURPOSE OF THIS SINGULAR POST:
This is not meant to pour cold water on the excitement this has generated.  However, regardless of the outcome tomorrow, the university has got to realize this is The Shot 2.0.   Will Valparaiso University seize this new opportunity to build on the incredible national exposure?  Will those in power ....

(1) commit to further enhancement of the program and facilities and commit resources to fully leverage this incredible exposure.

OR ..........

(2) think, "Hey, we did all this on a shoestring again, so our gamble is validated" and we can keep doing what we have been doing for the last 20+ years, hope for the best, and repeat 1998.

But whatever course the university chooses after Sunday, it will never compromise my faith in the coaches and kids who represent Valpo.

GO VALPO.
BEAT BRADLEY.
LET'S GO TO THE DANCE.

usc4valpo

This was a beautiful and truthful post.

vok22

Adding on to that, this is the first time I have felt this giddy about Valpo basketball since 2016. For the first time in probably that same amount of time, all the eyes of Valpo will be in the crusaders on the national stage. After a day where the Vikings win the sectional over their 23-3 arch rivals and the crusaders beat rival Loyola and Missouri state to get to one of the most appreciated conference title games in NCAA,  the city of Valpo is ready for more basketball fun this weekend, and it will be in the form of the crusaders to provide that. Can not wait for this opportunity for VU to win back the the attention of the city this afternoon

Just Sayin

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 08, 2020, 06:30:40 AM1998. The Shot. Little Valpo leaped upon the National scene, not only athletically but into the fiber of American sports culture. That appearance also put the university on the radar screens of millions of Americans in a way that it had never experienced. The future of Valpo basketball and, more importantly, the university itself seemed brighter than ever before. But that brightness dimmed over the years.  The excitement and potential of The Shot were totally squandered by a myopic administration at the time. It had no idea of how that exposure could translate to increased applications and national interest. So the clueless university just puttered along its unimaginative path toward a continuing status quo. And despite moving to two new conferences in the interim, it has played the "do it at a minimum commitment and hope it works out" card continually. Fast forward 21 years. After 37 seasons, and especially the last 10 or so seasons under Mike Avery, where our teams beat some top 25 teams on a pretty regular basis despite little  support, the VU administration hypocritically dropped men's soccer, an MVC sponsored sport, on November 19, 2019. Despite representing the university's ideals probably better than any other Valpo organization (i.e., OneValpo, St. Baldricks, TOCO, numerous academic achievements), it was the victim of "a business decision."  At the same time they also axed men's tennis which has been a stellar representative of both athletic and academic excellence over the last 10 years as well. It was also just business in a context where Valpo professed to strive for champions in the classroom, community and competition. Neither soccer nor tennis achieved the same notoriety of The Shot, but they cemented the values of what I thought "could" be a great university. In my eyes, both in 1998 and 2019, the university failed in each of these opportunities and the culmination of this was the final straw for me. I bailed on the institution in complete frustration.  I also withdrew from the Valpo Fan Board — my enthusiasm totally depleted. But my love for the kids who place their hearts on the line every game never changed nor did my respect for the coaches who led them. So I have lurked on the VU athletic site and the Valpo Fan Board since November. I've followed every shot of Arch Madness and am thrilled for Matt and those unbelievably gutty kids. We made the final and, in the process, have destroyed MVC tradition. Win or lose against Bradley, we have achieved something millions will see on national TV on CBS on Sunday.  Valpo's exposure is going to be off the charts. THE PURPOSE OF THIS SINGULAR POST: This is not meant to pour cold water on the excitement this has generated.  However, regardless of the outcome tomorrow, the university has got to realize this is The Shot 2.0.   Will Valparaiso University seize this new opportunity to build on the incredible national exposure?  Will those in power .... (1) commit to further enhancement of the program and facilities and commit resources to fully leverage this incredible exposure. OR .......... (2) think, "Hey, we did all this on a shoestring again, so our gamble is validated" and we can keep doing what we have been doing for the last 20+ years, hope for the best, and repeat 1998. But whatever course the university chooses after Sunday, it will never compromise my faith in the coaches and kids who represent Valpo. GO VALPO. BEAT BRADLEY. LET'S GO TO THE DANCE.

No, because they are short-sighted, stupid, and have no clue as to how doing so would increase enrollment over the long term. If you build it, they will come.

valpolaw

Great post VULB.

Once the law school closed, a few alumni friends also bailed on Valpo completely out of frustration and anger of the law school closing, so I understand your frustration. A nice run here could go a long way in making amends.

VUGrad1314

This is the time. This is the era. These next two years are critical. We can see and are seeing what athletic success can do for the university. We're getting another shot and we have to take it. We need to use athletics properly as the vehicle it is to drive the university and its vision forward. That takes commitment. That takes upgrading and the time is NOW. All eyes are on Valpo now and we have the opportunity. Will we take advantage? I hope so. We can take another big step by winning today. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

oklahomamick

Similar to what valpolaw said,

Once the men's soccer program was terminated,  a few alumni friends also bailed on Valpo completely out of frustration and anger.
CRUSADERS!!!

mj

I know this run was unexpected but I'm surprised the university hasn't sent out a fundraiser email to capitalize on the moment. Or tried to arrange watch parties in cities around the country.
I believe that we will win.

craftyrighthander

After attending the last three games in STL, and getting ready to go today, I actually think that the other Valley schools think more of Valpo than the Valpo administration does.  Talked with a number of Bradley fans who are very impressed with our team, and think that Valpo was a great addition to the Valley.  I also had a friend just text me from a sports book in Vegas who said that a number of people were talking about the Valpo run.  Do you think the administration understands the impact that men's BB has on the perception of a university?

I will put my hope in this team that seems to have developed a real ability to deal with adversity.  Enjoy the ride today.

Valpo by 7!

oklahomamick

Hope your buddy in Vegas waited to jump on valpo, lone moves to plus 3.5.
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: mj on March 08, 2020, 10:55:07 AMI know this run was unexpected but I'm surprised the university hasn't sent out a fundraiser email to capitalize on the moment. Or tried to arrange watch parties in cities around the country.

That's a bad awful terrible sign... WAKE UP ADMINISTRATION!

vu72

Quote from: mj on March 08, 2020, 10:55:07 AM
I know this run was unexpected but I'm surprised the university hasn't sent out a fundraiser email to capitalize on the moment. Or tried to arrange watch parties in cities around the country.

I've received emails about the events in St. Louis as well as monthly updates from the AD.  Seeing that the run started three days ago I don't think being surprised is even remotely fair.  Geez.  As for watch parties, those are set up by the local club.  Valpotx runs one in Dallas.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

Yeah they seem to be focused on getting students in particular to Saint Louis today.

valpotx

Yeah, I got thrust into the 'leader' spot for the Valpo Club of DFW a few years back, as vu72 knows lol.

Bradley fans have always been respectful to our joining the MVC.  I like their fans/board.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Valpo playing in the MVC finals is not the Shot 2.0 lol. There's virtually no exposure from losing. I had to look up who played Bradley last year... It was UNI. The year before it was Illinois State. Sure, it's nice, but Valpo is still far away from a Sweet 16 run.

JD24

This is not the shot 2.0. This wasn't incredible national exposure. It was a lower rung conference championship game between two schools both without much national recognition.

This year can be a stepping stone year. To gain national and even local recognition Valpo must either win a conference championship or at least consistently compete for one which does not involve an improbable run to the conference final. It also needs a rival or two. Maybe Loyola can end up being that team but we're not there yet.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on March 08, 2020, 05:35:40 PMThis is not the shot 2.0. This wasn't incredible national exposure. It was a lower rung conference championship game between two schools both without much national recognition. This year can be a stepping stone year. To gain national and even local recognition Valpo must either win a conference championship or at least consistently compete for one which does not involve an improbable run to the conference final. It also needs a rival or two. Maybe Loyola can end up being that team but we're not there yet.

I agree with most of this but the Valley is far from a lower rung conference.

vok22

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 08, 2020, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: JD24 on March 08, 2020, 05:35:40 PMThis is not the shot 2.0. This wasn't incredible national exposure. It was a lower rung conference championship game between two schools both without much national recognition. This year can be a stepping stone year. To gain national and even local recognition Valpo must either win a conference championship or at least consistently compete for one which does not involve an improbable run to the conference final. It also needs a rival or two. Maybe Loyola can end up being that team but we're not there yet.

Especially the conference championship game. It is widely watched by college basketball fans of all conferences, and people respect it. It's truly an honor to play in it and have the opportunity to play in it year after year.

elephtheria47

agree with others, not the shot 2.0. . . it's the new reality. play good basketball, play on national tv. great exposure though, for sure

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on March 08, 2020, 05:52:22 PM
Especially the conference championship game. It is widely watched by college basketball fans of all conferences, and people respect it. It's truly an honor to play in it and have the opportunity to play in it year after year.
Not with Bradley and Valpo in it (this year)....exposure that is. In fact it would have been better for a team to be 25-3 coming into the championship game and losing to get exposure. Two midpack teams of a non power 5 conference without national names isn't getting a ton of attention.

It's probably last in terms of the major conferences...the top third of conferences. It's better than the Sun Belt, CUSA, Ivy, Patriot and the dreaded Horizon League (which is in the lower third). The teams just above it have a power team for the most part and the league seems to simply lack that. UNI wasn't getting much national attention this season.

vok22

Quote from: JD24 on March 08, 2020, 07:27:56 PM
Quote from: vok22 on March 08, 2020, 05:52:22 PM
Not with Bradley and Valpo in it (this year)....exposure that is. In fact it would have been better for a team to be 25-3 coming into the championship game and losing to get exposure. Two midpack teams of a non power 5 conference without national names isn't getting a ton of attention.

It's probably last in terms of the major conferences...the top third of conferences. It's better than the Sun Belt, CUSA, Ivy, Patriot and the dreaded Horizon League (which is in the lower third). The teams just above it have a power team for the most part and the league seems to simply lack that. UNI wasn't getting much national attention this season.

There were a lot of people talking about it today. Obviously the college basketball world was, but big time reporters were tweeting about us, something that we wouldn't see unless we were in the championship. Chris Long, brother of Kyle Long and former eagle tweeted about us, watching  the game. A lot of people from Indiana were tweeting about jumping on the Valpo bandwagon today. These are all things that would not happen if we weren't on national TV. The MVC championship is always a good game and the college basketball world knows that and always tunes in.

craftyrighthander

It's all relative.  What's your measuring stick?  A conference in the 10-11 range, sure beats the Horizon. Far more attention making the MVC championship game and losing, than making the Horizon championship game and losing.  Would we rather win?  Sure, who wouldn't.    I'd rather be playing in a conference with Bradley, Loyola, and Drake, than a conference with commuter schools.

crusader05

The other thing this does is perhaps raise a little more interest again across the alumni base and with the student population and incoming students. Let's start increasing attendance at the games and maybe getting a few donors who we've been shaking for money for ARC improvements to see the need and potential again. Not everything has to be The Shot but that doesn't mean this doesn't have opportunities for us.

JD24

Quote from: craftyrighthander on March 08, 2020, 08:46:33 PMIt's all relative.  What's your measuring stick?  A conference in the 10-11 range, sure beats the Horizon. Far more attention making the MVC championship game and losing, than making the Horizon championship game and losing.  Would we rather win?  Sure, who wouldn't.    I'd rather be playing in a conference with Bradley, Loyola, and Drake, than a conference with commuter schools.
I don't disagree but the conference championship game got as much exposure as the Hampton/Winthrop game on the weekend prior to the major conference tournaments are played. Had this been a conference with a SDST and Utah State going at it, maybe people are paying attention. Not this year.

So while competitively there is a lot to build on, I'm not sure I agree that there's a ton there to "build" the program from ala being anywhere remotely close to the shot. A few 20 victory seasons while competing for a bid is what will do that.

M

Send a fundraising thing now and again in two weeks for day of giving?