• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Team

Started by IndyValpo, November 15, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Great effort tonight. Hopefully the suspended players realize how there absence hurt their team tonight, and are ready to go come conference start.
Our post need to work on squeezing the orange. We missed some great opportunities inside because of turnovers. Unfortunately the players feeding the balls inside get the credit for the turnovers.
J.W. had a nice outing as did Hamilton. Carr did a nice job of running things for the full 40 without a blow. This game may have been a different outcome if we had the services of Dean and Miller.Lessons learned.
Time for league play.

valpotx

Why did we pick this game to use as part of their suspensions?  I forget when the drinking incident happened, but I would have done SIU-E and Purdue-Calumet, not a home game against Stetson.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Brandon

The coaching staff didn't want to play with only seven players available (one of which was Donchetz, who plays limited minutes coming off an injury of her own). They held off on the second game of the suspensions hoping that Sharon Karungi would be ready to return from injury in time for the Stetson game, but they still ended up having to play with seven in uniform against Stetson since Karungi was not ready to come back.

IndyValpo

You have to feel for Sarah Godwin. Her only contribution in over a year is to get arrested and she isn't even listed as having to miss games. In reality there is no mention of her on any release except the roster.  She played a few minutes 2 years ago and never since. What is her story?

valpopal

[tweet]552200573047824384[/tweet]

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 05, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
You have to feel for Sarah Godwin. Her only contribution in over a year is to get arrested and she isn't even listed as having to miss games. In reality there is no mention of her on any release except the roster.  She played a few minutes 2 years ago and never since. What is her story?
Good question.  Does anyone know if she is injured?

vu72

Quote from: covufan on January 05, 2015, 03:03:28 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on January 05, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
Good question.  Does anyone know if she is injured?

How about Sharon?  What is the situation/injury there?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo4life

Sarah tore her meniscus early this year after tearing her ACL the two previous seasons. Terrible breaks for her, but she wouldn't see the court if healthy. Honestly don't know how she ever got a D1 scholarship. And I believe Sharon is dealing with a foot issue. Hopefully they have just been holding her out until conference play. Luckily our posts have been showing good signs lately.

valpotx

Sharon was one of our better players in regards to rebounding and paint presence, and is very much missed.  She had a few off games in regards to shooting, but seemed to be a bright spot last season.  Hopefully she can come back soon.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Sarah has been a question since Freeman brought her in. She's all but been relegated to a practice squad role. Great D1 education she got for being available.
I believe Sharon is available to start the Horizon League Season. Probably held her out vs Stetson to not risk an injury.

jack

Not the game we were hoping for to start off league play. I just don't understand why our inside players struggle so much to block out, and hold on to the ball. They just competed against one of the smallest teams in the league and got handled. Once again our guards were doing a good job of getting the ball inside, only to have it fumbled and lost. It's a shame they have to be credited with the turnover. Doesn't seem fair. And what the heck is up with Karungi? I know she's been out a while but that was brutal. It's seems the concentration and effort just isn't there. We need Dean to get rolling again also. This was probably one of the more winnable games we'll play this season. Got to learn how to put teams away or it's going to be a very long season.

valpo4life

I watched the whole game and I did not see our posts struggling to catch entry passes whatsoever. Maybe one or two drops but that happens in every game you see really. The rebounding struggles were a team issue in the second half, with the switching defense that we were running (which I thought was pretty effective) gave them some mismatches where are guards were being asked to block out bigger players which was ineffective in the 2nd half. They were so much more athletic that if we didn't get a body on them they were able to jump higher and at least keep the ball alive. Only girl we had who really can compete with them jumping wise for rebounds was Walker, who is becoming this teams best player as a freshman. And I agree with the Abby point, she was been no where to be found but being the other teams best player at times. This team looked pretty good at the beginning of the year when she was playing well. Hopefully she can pick it up here tomorrow at home against UIC. Also, what are the odds Lexi Miller hits another half court shot at the buzzer heading into halftime tomorrow? She's made one in each home game against UIC the past two seasons  :o

LaPorteAveApostle

If I had the energy, I'd go back and find all the 1st halves we've won this year (and all the 2nd halves we've been bombed in)

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

In the women's game, it is all about positioning on rebounds.  There aren't many Tamra Braun's or Zane Teilane's that are bypassed by the bigger schools, and can reach over everyone else.  You see the ball hit the ground a lot in the mid-major women's games, so it is all about who is quicker.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on January 09, 2015, 02:17:45 PM
I watched the whole game and I did not see our posts struggling to catch entry passes whatsoever. Maybe one or two drops but that happens in every game you see really. The rebounding struggles were a team issue in the second half, with the switching defense that we were running (which I thought was pretty effective) gave them some mismatches where are guards were being asked to block out bigger players which was ineffective in the 2nd half. They were so much more athletic that if we didn't get a body on them they were able to jump higher and at least keep the ball alive. Only girl we had who really can compete with them jumping wise for rebounds was Walker, who is becoming this teams best player as a freshman. And I agree with the Abby point, she was been no where to be found but being the other teams best player at times. This team looked pretty good at the beginning of the year when she was playing well. Hopefully she can pick it up here tomorrow at home against UIC. Also, what are the odds Lexi Miller hits another half court shot at the buzzer heading into halftime tomorrow? She's made one in each home game against UIC the past two seasons  :o

Wow. You apparently didn't watch the same game I did. I counted 7. Karungi lost 3 herself.
Happens every game. Make a point to track it. Happened again many times vs UIC. Being a former coach, I looked for this specifically.

bbtds

Quote from: jack on January 10, 2015, 07:43:00 PM
Quote from: valpo4life on January 09, 2015, 02:17:45 PM

Wow. You apparently didn't watch the same game I did. I counted 7. Karungi lost 3 herself.
Happens every game. Make a point to track it. Happened again many times vs UIC. Being a former coach, I looked for this specifically.

I have to agree with jack on this one. The post players are losing the ball way too much.

valpo4life

Today was overall a poor effort, but we do realize we're complaining about a couple bobbled balls. I'm seeing girls fighting for position and not getting the ball at the right time most of the time. Or it being forced in when the look isn't there. I just felt bad watching them out there today, when your point guard is in reality a spot up jump shooter who should be playing about 15 minutes a game because there isn't anyone else it's just hard to watch. Carr and Dean should not start the next game so that a message can be sent to them that they need to play much, much better. The team actually had some moment cutting it to 15 until Carr checks back in and blows a defensive assignment and then can't get the ball up the court. She also got lucky, she threw a dirty elbow at the UIC player but the officials didn't feel the need to look at it. I had a good look and it was a flagrant 1 minimum. At this point we just need to keep feeding Walker because she's the only one out there who can do anything at the moment. Because watching any of our 4 guards try to make a play never goes well.

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on January 10, 2015, 11:51:20 PM
Today was overall a poor effort, but we do realize we're complaining about a couple bobbled balls. I'm seeing girls fighting for position and not getting the ball at the right time most of the time. Or it being forced in when the look isn't there. I just felt bad watching them out there today, when your point guard is in reality a spot up jump shooter who should be playing about 15 minutes a game because there isn't anyone else it's just hard to watch. Carr and Dean should not start the next game so that a message can be sent to them that they need to play much, much better. The team actually had some moment cutting it to 15 until Carr checks back in and blows a defensive assignment and then can't get the ball up the court. She also got lucky, she threw a dirty elbow at the UIC player but the officials didn't feel the need to look at it. I had a good look and it was a flagrant 1 minimum. At this point we just need to keep feeding Walker because she's the only one out there who can do anything at the moment. Because watching any of our 4 guards try to make a play never goes well.

Spoken like a non-student of the game.

valpo4life

Quote from: jack on January 11, 2015, 09:01:05 PM

What would you like me to say? Our 4 guards that play almost every minute at the position, they are shooting a respectable number of 35% from 3. But are shooting the exact same percentage when they are inside the ARC, which is not good. Hence my point of when they try to make a play, it typically doesn't go well. Don't think it's time to send Dean a message by benching her? She averages 14 a game in wins, 5 a game in losses. When she plays well, the team plays well. Have to light a fire somehow. Carr is averaging almost 6 turnovers a game the past 6 games and was always been a defensive liability on the perimeter. She's a competitor, so I think she would respond well to not being named a starter for a game or two. But a message needs to be sent that your senior, leader point guard struggling in those two major portions of the game for her position isn't acceptable. The reason I say we need to feed Walker a lot, is simply because she's had 20, 16, 18, and 19 in the past 4 games as an undersized post player.  I cannot have stats for our post entry issues, would need a Synergy account for that one. But I would contribute that to an overall team issue, sometimes its an entry feed, or timing issue. Sometimes the posts just get to anxious to make a move to fast and start it without gaining possession.

So there ya go, a more detailed reasoning for my previous thoughts.

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on January 12, 2015, 11:41:30 AM
Quote from: jack on January 11, 2015, 09:01:05 PM

What would you like me to say? Our 4 guards that play almost every minute at the position, they are shooting a respectable number of 35% from 3. But are shooting the exact same percentage when they are inside the ARC, which is not good. Hence my point of when they try to make a play, it typically doesn't go well. Don't think it's time to send Dean a message by benching her? She averages 14 a game in wins, 5 a game in losses. When she plays well, the team plays well. Have to light a fire somehow. Carr is averaging almost 6 turnovers a game the past 6 games and was always been a defensive liability on the perimeter. She's a competitor, so I think she would respond well to not being named a starter for a game or two. But a message needs to be sent that your senior, leader point guard struggling in those two major portions of the game for her position isn't acceptable. The reason I say we need to feed Walker a lot, is simply because she's had 20, 16, 18, and 19 in the past 4 games as an undersized post player.  I cannot have stats for our post entry issues, would need a Synergy account for that one. But I would contribute that to an overall team issue, sometimes its an entry feed, or timing issue. Sometimes the posts just get to anxious to make a move to fast and start it without gaining possession.

So there ya go, a more detailed reasoning for my previous thoughts.

Dean is in a slump and needs to play through it. Sitting on the bench won't help her. We need her speed on the floor as speed is about all we ever have an advantage on, and then, sometimes not. I believe she's still shaking off the situation she found herself in that warranted 2 games off.
60 to 70 percent of Carr's turnovers are due to our inside players mishandling the passes. We have never had a good Bigs coach to teach these inside players how to get position. Watch the footwork. It's terrible. You need to pay close attention to that. All of our guards get credit for mishandled inlet passes. That's a fact. Unfortunately, the passer always gets credit for the TO. Carr also seems to be the best ball handler, and floor general we have. She's constantly directing other players to the positions they are supposed to be instead of where they are. By no means are her numbers great, but right now she's the best at running the offense than any other player we have. The others better get with the program and soon as they won't have her to lean on next season. Right now I see no one to replace her at point. Let's hope the coaching staff has a plan in place for next season.
I don't see Karungi being much help any time in the near future. The injury aside, it just doesn't appear that she has the fire anymore. She lost 3 good passes inside the other night. Hamlet and Carr got credited for the TO's. That's why I have never put much stock in the TO numbers. They don't reflect what's going on always.
So in your plan to "keep feeding Walker" who is doing the feeding? I assume it's one of the four guards you feel that can't make a play. I think our guards are doing their best considering the circumstances. 90% of our players are guards. Many of the issues we have are a byproduct of trying to build a team with guards. We've been guard heavy for as many years as I can remember. They have Godwin listed as a Forward. Even if she played she wouldn't be a forward. We're asking some shooting guards to run point. In my opinion, the positions aren't as interchangeable as they'd like to think. Maybe for a play or so, but not for long stretches. There just isn't a comfort or confidence level out on the floor right now.

valporun

I went as far back in the ESPN 3 archives as I could go, being 1/12, I'm watching the Illinois game, partially because I missed it due to work, and didn't have time to catch up. The offense doesn't create any kind of spacing to give an open lane. None of our "forwards" sets a screen to open up a shot, and the ball control, whether dribble or pass, is a mess because Carr is having to do too much dribbling. The only thought I have about anything with our guard play, not that she's probably the best option, but switch Dean with Carr. Keep both on the court, but let Carr direct things without the ball. Have Dean bring it up, especially since Dean will probably be the point next season, unless a transfer/grad student comes in that can run the point better. Also, get Thompson, Hamlet, Walker, Franklin, and the rest setting some screens to get more pick and rolls/screen and go setups. We aren't a team should live and die by the arc. We have quick guards, but no confidence in setting picks and doing the necessary things to get points in the paint. jack, I'm up for your opinion on these options.

valpo4life

With the offense this team runs, the guard positions are interchangeable as well as the posts. So I agree with valporun mixing up who brings it up the court could benefit everyone. When you're being pressured the full length of the court all game long like against UIC it's a good idea to do that. And when the offense is ran properly, the ball is moving a lot more side to side rather than getting caught up on the first ball screen action and thinking the play as to be made then. When the parts are moving the spacing comes as well, when we get stagnant, the lane gets clogged up by defenders in help position. We know the system works, we saw it early this season, just gotta get back to playing freely as we were then. As far as next season, I've seen the youngest Hamlet girl play. She would probably start on this team, if not be the first one off the bench. I'm not worried about future seasons with the recruiting class coming in to go with the freshmen we have contributing now.

And I just want to be clear with my viewpoint on the guard play with this team, when I say "can't make a play". I mean if you told them I need a bucket go get it. I don't have any confidence that any of them could get it done. Dean would be the best bet but she hasn't been playing well. And I don't suggest "benching" her or Carr. All you do is not start them for a game or two, give them around the same minutes. It's just a message sender. Coaches do it all the time.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo4life on January 12, 2015, 11:41:30 AMSometimes the posts just get to anxious to make a move to fast and start it without gaining possession.

So now you are admitting the post players are sometimes the cause of the turnovers and problems scoring because they "get to (sic) anxious to make a move to (sic) fast and start it without gaining possession."

Is this not what jack has been trying to say all along?

valporun

If you think about it, Not starting either Dean or Carr for a game or two would look like they were being "benched", even if they were coming into the game around the first media timeout. I do understand what you're saying, but to some here, "benching" and "not starting" are almost one in the same.

I would agree with starting Franklin, but I liken her role on this team to that of Matt Kenney. Everyone wanted Kenney starting, but he played best off the bench. I see Franklin the same way. She can adapt to a pace that she can see before she actually gets involved, and I like that about a bench player. She comes in to give someone a breath or two, and she makes it seem like she was ready immediately. She didn't need the pace to come to her or slow down, she saw how things go, and adapted accordinglly.

valpo4life

Yea I understand that. I personally see "benching" as I'm pulling you out of the game and you're not coming back in. "Not starting" is as simple as it sounds to me. You didn't start. We can agree to disagree if need be. Just saying what I believe. Either way my main point was to light a fire underneath Dean and Carr because we need them to perform better to win. I've seen work before and who knows, maybe one of them plays better off the bench as Kenney seemed to do.

And back to the post entry debate, I just believe it's being blown way out of proportion. If the post defender is able to get a piece of the pass as much as they are, it's not all on the post players as it's being portrayed. There are numerous times where I find myself saying, "it's not there don't throw it" or "you had her, but didn't see it in time". I just watched the whole 1st half of our most recent game so see if I am way off, but that sample size proves me right. There were a total of 2 bobbles by out post players, both caused by the defense being able to get their hand in on the low pass. Trying to blame 60 to 70 percent of someone's turnovers on someone else is absurd.