• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Surging Cardinals

Started by bbtds, August 22, 2018, 04:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Anybody else surprised by the sudden surging of the Cardinals after the firing of what seemed like a really good baseball guy in Mike Matheny. I've never seen a team react that well to an established manager's firing like that in quite some time. Matheny's relationship with Dexter Fowler showed that Matheny was stuck in his ways and a modern baseball manager has to find someway to relate to all his players. That and the fact that Matheny was the worst MLB manager of a bullpen. One writer said drawing random numbers out of a hat was better than having Mike Matheny manage your bullpen.

usc4valpo

The NL central race and the National League in general has been very interesting and competitive.

valporun

I agree. Matheny was stuck in his old school baseball style. That style worked with kids just learning the game, but not with players that you're paying huge dollars to produce, and you're not allowing them to produce in the ways the GM signed them to do. He lost the clubhouse when he wouldn't let the players play their game. The new manager just received a lot of praise from the players, and had the Interim tag removed this week. Great to see a manager that had to step in during tumultuous times return the team to a wild card contender because he didn't feel the pressure to produce faster than the players would allow. These players reacted immediately, and it showed in the first week of Matheny's firing. The Cardinals will be interesting to watch in September, and next season to see what they'll become in contending with the Cubs for the top spot in the Central.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on September 02, 2018, 10:57:44 AM
I agree. Matheny was stuck in his old school baseball style. That style worked with kids just learning the game, but not with players that you're paying huge dollars to produce, and you're not allowing them to produce in the ways the GM signed them to do. He lost the clubhouse when he wouldn't let the players play their game. The new manager just received a lot of praise from the players, and had the Interim tag removed this week. Great to see a manager that had to step in during tumultuous times return the team to a wild card contender because he didn't feel the pressure to produce faster than the players would allow. These players reacted immediately, and it showed in the first week of Matheny's firing. The Cardinals will be interesting to watch in September, and next season to see what they'll become in contending with the Cubs for the top spot in the Central.

I don't believe the Cardinals will be able to catch the Cubs, and maybe not even the Brewers, because there isn't enough time in the season. Their returners from injury, Wainwright, Martinez and others, will not have the time to regain a winning form. But who thought they had a chance at a wildcard just a month ago when Matheny was in charge.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on September 07, 2018, 03:36:03 PM

I don't believe the Cardinals will be able to catch the Cubs, and maybe not even the Brewers, because there isn't enough time in the season. Their returners from injury, Wainwright, Martinez and others, will not have the time to regain a winning form. But who thought they had a chance at a wildcard just a month ago when Matheny was in charge.
???
You don't think 21 games is enough to catch up 1.5 games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on September 08, 2018, 04:01:09 PM
Quote from: bbtds on September 07, 2018, 03:36:03 PM

???
You don't think 21 games is enough to catch up 1.5 games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Cardinals are 4.5 games behind the Cubs for the division crown & 2.5 games behind the Brewers, and that is what I was referring to.

As far as the wildcard spot, yes, the Cardinals have an excellent chance.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

crusadermoe

Go Brewers!    Bye bye Cubs and Cards!!

talksalot

Pitchers and Catchers start reporting in 132 days... NOW, back to College Sports !! 

VUGrad1314

And now they've added Goldschmidt and are still seeking potential impact additions. Cubs need to get busy or they're at risk of losing some serious ground.