• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Commencement Speaker

Started by usc4valpo, May 18, 2019, 10:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I have been searching and cannot find who will be the commencement speaker. The Valpo site is not listing this currently.

crusader05

They announced it a few days ago, I believe it's the former CEO of Thrivent

usc4valpo

Thank you, he will be interesting. I remember the days when we protested giving Edwin Meese an honorary degree, as he was a proponent to reduce student loans during the Reagan years.

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 18, 2019, 12:53:52 PM
Thank you, he will be interesting. I remember the days when we protested giving Edwin Mersey an honorary degree, as he was a proponent to reduce student loans during the Reagan years.

A typical misguided student protest, which should have been directed at Ed Meese instead of poor Mr. Mersey.  ;)

usc4valpo

Doh! Stupid spell check... I fixed it thanks.

valpopal

Not specifically about the commencement speaker, but because today is commencement day, I post the following video reviewing the past year, which has been a challenging one in athletics and elsewhere across the campus. Throughout the past months we've discussed the difficulties; however, here is an opportunity, especially on this day, to feel good and to focus on the advancements, triumphs, or accomplishments of 2018-2019.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on May 19, 2019, 10:30:13 AM
Not specifically about the commencement speaker, but because today is commencement day, I post the following video reviewing the past year, which has been a challenging one in athletics and elsewhere across the campus. Throughout the past months we've discussed the difficulties; however, here is an opportunity, especially on this day, to feel good and to focus on the advancements, triumphs, or accomplishments of 2018-2019.

Outstanding - subject, content, length, transitions, music, everything!

FWalum

Micah and Bakari walked, Jay and Marcus were in the program, but were no shows for the ceremony.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Just to continue the good news for those who collected their degrees at commencement, the university has determined that members of the class of 2018 have found jobs or enrolled in graduate school at a rate exceeding past years and now enjoys what might be considered a virtual full employment status. Therefore, it seems yesterday's graduates are entering a welcoming job market. I wish them all well!

valpo64

Great job, Valpo pal!  Your synopsis of the year makes one proud to be a Valpo grad.  Thanks again!