• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Victory Bell

Started by Pgmado, February 16, 2022, 10:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

Well, Union Street Hoops had its own thread, so it's about time someone started one for The Victory Bell. The podcast isn't dead by any means, just on hold as I get this newsletter launched. I'll figure out the podcast eventually. Maybe in time for Arch Madness. Maybe in the offseason. Not sure yet. As for The Victory Bell, thank you to those who have subscribed thus far. If you haven't, I'll ask you to if you're passionate about Valpo athletics. I finally have the opportunity to tell the stories that I want to tell in the manner in which I want to tell them. The latest story I wrote, a deep dive into Emil's mysterious illness, is one of those types of stories. It's behind the paywall and it's worth every penny IMO. Not because of the words that I wrote, but because of the story that he told. I was just lucky enough to be the one he told it to. I hope you'll subscribe and read it.

https://thevictorybell.substack.com/p/emerging-from-the-darkness?r=15j9bs

Pgmado

If you were ever interested in the best players to ever spend one season at Valpo, or the worst for that matter, don't worry, I've got you covered. I rank all 27 players that spent just one season on the court.

https://thevictorybell.substack.com/p/taylor-makes-most-of-one-year-with?utm_source=url

IndyValpo

Quote from: Pgmado on February 28, 2022, 10:25:57 AM
If you were ever interested in the best players to ever spend one season at Valpo, or the worst for that matter, don't worry, I've got you covered. I rank all 27 players that spent just one season on the court.

https://thevictorybell.substack.com/p/taylor-makes-most-of-one-year-with?utm_source=url
Thanks for this, as a 1981 graduate it was a nice trip down memory lane. Interesting comment by Smith on Paul Stachowitz, I thought he would have had a nice career for us.

Did Ron Henderson not play over 20 games his season? He came in a starter. Smith was famous for phasing people out so maybe not.

vu72

Great articles to be sure.  Loved the one this morning on the bowling team's national exposure via their part in the Big Ten's first broadcast of a bowling match--Valpo v. Nebraska!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

Quote from: vu72 on March 01, 2022, 09:03:42 AM
Great articles to be sure.  Loved the one this morning on the bowling team's national exposure via their part in the Big Ten's first broadcast of a bowling match--Valpo v. Nebraska!
Excellent article. I'm just glad Valpo faced Nebraska in bowling, and not football.

Pgmado

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 01, 2022, 08:50:44 AM
Quote from: Pgmado on February 28, 2022, 10:25:57 AM

Thanks for this, as a 1981 graduate it was a nice trip down memory lane. Interesting comment by Smith on Paul Stachowitz, I thought he would have had a nice career for us.

Did Ron Henderson not play over 20 games his season? He came in a starter. Smith was famous for phasing people out so maybe not.

Good call on Henderson. I looked more into him. The Sports Reference page had no stats listed for him, but I found a copy of the 1982-83 media guide. Ron Henderson played in 19 games and averaged 5.4 points per game in 409 minutes of action. Not sure why he's not listed here.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/valparaiso/1982.html

Chairback

The best victory bell article yet was just released and they all have been good.   What a story of Ryan F. 

Thanks PO. Just awesome.

Pgmado

Had some fun with this one. Please continue to spread the word on The Victory Bell.

https://thevictorybell.substack.com/p/venture-of-flames?s=w

FWalum

In the article you state that you recently watched the film, how can one watch the film? Am I to assume that it's only available through the Valparaiso University library? I can't find any way to view it. Please let us readers know how we might be able to also see the movie.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

David81

Quote from: Pgmado on May 13, 2022, 05:02:17 PM
Had some fun with this one. Please continue to spread the word on The Victory Bell.

https://thevictorybell.substack.com/p/venture-of-flames?s=w

So sad that the terrible fire prompted this article, but it's a great read.

Until the fire attracted news coverage, I didn't realize that the building was the original Gellerson Hall.

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on May 14, 2022, 12:04:46 AM
In the article you state that you recently watched the film, how can one watch the film? Am I to assume that it's only available through the Valparaiso University library? I can't find any way to view it. Please let us readers know how we might be able to also see the movie.

I'll look for movie. I did find this however.

https://www.pocomuse.org/local-history/tag/Valparaiso+University

MAY 12, 1951: HOLLYWOOD BRUNETTE FINDS VALPARAISO IS 'ROMANTIC'
Originally published in The Vidette-Messenger of Porter County on May 12, 1951.

Hollywood Brunette Finds Valparaiso Is 'Romantic'

By JOHN HARMON

What does a Hollywood screen actress think of Valparaiso?

Miss Margaret Field, playing one of the lead roles in the motion picture being produced on the Valparaiso university campus, chowed enthusiasm campus, showed enthusiasm about the city and the picture when interviewed by a reporter for The Vidette-Messenger.

"It's a lovely city," Miss Field said and then added ー "A very romantic little place."

The pretty brunette, who is starred in a film now being released in Hollywood, had more to say on the subject:

"I think Valparaiso university would be a very wonderful place to go to school."

When asked about the VU picture, the Hollywood actress was even more enthusiastic:

"It's a very fine picture and I am happy to have a part in it. It should be a great inspiration because it tells a story and will be even more impressive because it is based on true facts of what actually happened, as I understand them."

The picture, titled "Faith That Moves Mountains," was inspired by the university students who built the engineering laboratories on the local campus three years ago.

On TV, Too

Miss Field, who was under contract to Paramount Pictures for four-and-one-half years, will soon be seen in the lead role of the film "The Man From Planet X"ーjust released. Among her other achievements is a leading role in "Solitaire," a television program sponsored by The Fireside Theatre to be released over TV channels in September. She was graduated from Pasadena Junior college where she was studying when a Hollywood talent scout discovered her.

Working on the set here Friday was Hollywood Actor Monte Blue who will be remembered for his star roles in silent films. Also on location at the university campus yesterday was Charles Lane, one of the top characters in the movie colony. Both men flew from Hollywood Thursday and returned to the motion picture capital today after contributing their part to the film.

Miss Field was not the only member of the Hollywood party who expressed enthusiasm about the town Guy V. Thayer, Jr., vice president of Roland Reed Productions, Inc., and associate producer of the film, told The Vidette-Messenger:

"The cooperation here has been wonderful and we are about a day ahead of schedule. If it hadn't been for the rain we would have been even further ahead."

Other Hollywood people taking parts in the movie include Miss Marjorie Lord, Robert Clark, Jimmy Lloyd, Clark Howatt, Tom Neal, Summer Getchell, Ralph Brook and Don Hayden.

The picture is directed by Frank Strayer.

Actress Says She Likes ValparaisoHOLLYWOOD ACTRESS Miss Margaret Field, who has a part in the motion picture being produced on the Valparaiso university campus, tells V-M Sports Editor John Harmon all about the movie in a special interview at Hotel Lembke here. Harmon, incidentally, is scheduled to have a small bit in the picture, playing the part of a visiting sports writer who has come to see the Valparaiso university Crusaders play basketball. The picture is being produced by Roland Reed Productions, Inc., of Hollywood.(V-M Staff Photo)
Actress Says She Likes Valparaiso

HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS Miss Margaret Field, who has a part in the motion picture being produced on the Valparaiso university campus, tells V-M Sports Editor John Harmon all about the movie in a special interview at Hotel Lembke here. Harmon, incidentally, is scheduled to have a small bit in the picture, playing the part of a visiting sports writer who has come to see the Valparaiso university Crusaders play basketball. The picture is being produced by Roland Reed Productions, Inc., of Hollywood.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

It appears that Turner Classic Movies owns the rights to the film. It must have come when Ted Turner bought the film archives of MGM or one of those big Hollywood studios.

Venture of Faith (1951) - Turner Classic Movies (tcm.com)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpo89

PO watched the film in the VU library.

historyman

The Christopher Center has 2 copies.

Valparaiso University Catalog (valpo.edu)

Title
Venture of faith / a Roland Reed production ; sponsored and distributed by the Lutheran Laymen's League ; directed by Frank Strayer
[/color]
Pub Info
[/color][size=0.8824em]Hollywood, Calif. : Roland Reed Productions, 1951[/size][/t][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]St. Louis, Mo. : Lutheran Laymen's League, 1951[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]%2C/edistributor+not+identified/-3,-1,0,B/browse][Place of distribution not identified] : [distributor not identified], [2009?][/size][/t]
[/color]
Citation
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Cite this item (from WorldCat)[/size]
[/color]
View Shelf
[/color][/size]

[/color]LOCATION[/font][/color]CALL NO.[/font][/color]STATUS
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Christopher Ctr-DVD Shelves-1st FL[/size] [/color][/size][size=0.8824em]shelved by title[/size]  DUE 05-16-22
Christopher Ctr-Archives-3rd FL [/color][/size][size=0.8824em]PN1997 .V46 2009v[/size] c.2 LIB USE ONLY

[/color][/size][/size]   [/size]
[/color]
Description
1 videodisc (95 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in
[/color]
Note
Originally released as a motion picture in 1951[/t][/t]
"The student led initiative to expand the facilities for the Valparaiso University School of Engineering."[/t]
"Building the Valparaiso University School of Engineering"--disc label[/t]
"The premier showing of Venture of Faith was September 13, 1951 at the Lake theater in Valparaiso"--disc label[/t]
[/color]
Credits
Director of photography, Walter Strenge ; film editor, Roy Luby ; clergy counselor, Dr. Lawrence Acker ; musical director, Eliot Daniel ; screenplay, Jesse Lasky, Jr. ; original story, T.G. Eggers[/t]
[/color]
Performers
Robert Clarke (Howard), Marjorie Lord (Ann), Jimmy Lloyd (Ed), Margaret Fields (Shirley), Clark Howartt (Tom), Ralph Brooke (John), Don Hayden (Steve), Tom Neal (Rocky), Sumner Gatchel (Fatso), Dr. O.P. Kretzman[n] (President), W.C. Dickmeyer (Mr. Featherstone), William F. Fenske (Old grad)[/t]
[/color]
Summary
Based on the true story of the engineering students at Valparaiso University who built the original College of Engineering building after discovering that they would need to finish their four year degree elsewhere because they lacked the facilities required for a four year program[/t]
[/color]
Note
DVD-R[/t]
[/color]
Subject
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Valparaiso University. College of Engineering -- History -- Drama[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Valparaiso University -- Drama[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]College students -- Drama[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Biographical films[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Historical films[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Feature films[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Fiction films[/size][/t]
[/color]
Additional Author
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Reed, Roland, film producer[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Strayer, Frank, 1891-1964, film director[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Lasky, Jesse L., Jr., 1910-1988, screenwriter[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Clarke, Robert, actor[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Lloyd, Jimmy, actor[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Lord, Marjorie, actor[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Dickmeyer, W. Charles[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Kretzmann, O. P. (Otto Paul), 1901-1975[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Roland Reed Productions, production company[/size][/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]International Lutheran Laymen's League, sponsoring body, film distributor[/size][/t]
[/color]
Alternate Title
Also known as: Valparaiso story[/t]
[/color][/size][size=0.8824em]Container of (work): Venture of faith (Motion picture)[/size][/t]
[/color]
OCLC
1054234689[/t]
Persistent Link: [/color][/size][size=0.8824em]https://galileo.valpo.edu:443/record=b1673901[/size]

NotBryceDrew

Why has there been no victory bell coverage of the AD search?

historyman

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on May 15, 2022, 03:37:28 PM
Why has there been no victory bell coverage of the AD search?

QuoteValparaiso University President Jose Padilla has announced a national search that will include Parker Executive Search, one of the nation's leading search firms in collegiate athletics. (Apologies for writing search three times in one sentence there. I was searching for a new word to use, but I got tired of searching for my thesaurus so I ended my search.)

Probably got tired of searching for the story.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on May 15, 2022, 03:37:28 PMWhy has there been no victory bell coverage of the AD search?

Someone didn't check their email this morning, I see.

NativeCheesehead

PO, do you know if there's any plans to stream the press conference on Thursday?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Brandon

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 18, 2022, 10:51:40 AMPO, do you know if there's any plans to stream the press conference on Thursday?

https://bit.ly/ValpoAD

historyman

vu72

Has anybody heard or seen Paul Oren lately?  Nothing from the Victory Bell since July 18 and his series on Valpo sports stopped with only write ups on Bowling and Women's Basketball.  Let's hope he is OK!

Pgmado

Quote from: vu72 on August 03, 2022, 01:03:34 PM
Has anybody heard or seen Paul Oren lately?  Nothing from the Victory Bell since July 18 and his series on Valpo sports stopped with only write ups on Bowling and Women's Basketball.  Let's hope he is OK!

I'm plenty good. Stuff coming down the horizon. Starting tomorrow.

humbleopinion

Quote from: Pgmado on August 03, 2022, 01:22:24 PMStuff coming down the horizon. Starting tomorrow.

Or maybe "coming down the valley."
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

He was stuck in a miserable trip across Europe :)
"Don't mess with Texas"