• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wood to Michigan State. Official

Started by blackpantheruwm, March 15, 2011, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Quote from: wh on April 20, 2011, 07:41:51 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on April 20, 2011, 07:23:39 PM
Name some guards from either of those schools that have been successful in the NBA (Jerry Sichting).

How about Mateen Cleaves?  Whoops, never mind...

Magic Johnson!

rlh

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on April 20, 2011, 06:57:43 AM
Well, he is a Sports Management and Business Major at Valpo.  So what might it be?  A Sports Management Masters?  Valpo has that.  An MBA?  Valpo has that.  A nursing Masters? Valpo has that (just kidding!!)

Hmm.. what _does_ Butler offer that you can't find at Valpo?

Master of Professional Accounting.
Master of Science in Education (e.g. Educational Administration)
MA, instead of MLS, in History or English?
Creative Writing?
Pharmacy?  Physicians Assistant?
Dance?  Music?  (didn't Valpo used to offer some masters in music?)

vu72

Quote from: agibson on April 21, 2011, 03:50:38 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 20, 2011, 06:57:43 AM
Well, he is a Sports Management and Business Major at Valpo.  So what might it be?  A Sports Management Masters?  Valpo has that.  An MBA?  Valpo has that.  A nursing Masters? Valpo has that (just kidding!!)

Hmm.. what _does_ Butler offer that you can't find at Valpo?

Master of Professional Accounting.
Master of Science in Education (e.g. Educational Administration)
MA, instead of MLS, in History or English?
Creative Writing?
Pharmacy?  Physicians Assistant?
Dance?  Music?  (didn't Valpo used to offer some masters in music?)

Yeah, but can he get a Master of Arts in Chinese Studies at Butler?  Seriously, I just don't think Parmacy is in his future!

Actually, one of the key programs Valpo has is the duel degrees with the Law School.  You can get a Masters and a Law degree in four years, and that is a huge money saver.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

That would be kind of interesting. Almost every Meijer, Kroger, CVS and Walgreens in Indy has a Butler pharmacy student working at the pharmacy counter. Imagine running into Brandon in a white coat as you hand your prescription over to be filled. "Didn't you used to play basketball at Valpo and then transfer to Butler for your senior season? Also I don't want the child proof caps on those prescriptions." :-)

walldozer

Quote from: valpospartan on April 20, 2011, 10:53:57 PM
Quote from: wh on April 20, 2011, 07:41:51 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on April 20, 2011, 07:23:39 PM
Name some guards from either of those schools that have been successful in the NBA (Jerry Sichting).

How about Mateen Cleaves?  Whoops, never mind...

Magic Johnson!

Scott Skyles
Eric Snow
Jason Richardson
Shawn Respert
Shannon Brown

Pgmado

Stop looking at Butler. He wasn't released to speak to Horizon League schools.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on April 21, 2011, 03:22:56 PM
Stop looking at Butler. He wasn't released to speak to Horizon League schools.

How about providing a little more detail as to how releases work?  Are you saying the same rule applies for both underclassmen and graduates when it comes to granting a player a release to go to another school in the same league, and yet the same rule doesn't apply in regard to sitting for a year?   

Pgmado

What I'm saying is that Butler (and every other Horizon League school) don't have permission to contact Brandon per what I've heard from those involved. The coaching staff is/was able to limit which schools they granted permission to contact and per my understanding, Horizon League schools were excluded from the list. If Brandon ended up at Butler, I believe it would be because of contact that was not allowed or condoned by the Valparaiso coaching staff. I could be totally wrong on this, but this is how I believe it works.

wh

I've got to say, I think this whole business is ridiculous.  I'm not talking about Brandon, I'm talking about the rule itself.  The supposed purpose of the rule is to allow a student athlete to transfer to start a Master's program that his current school doesn't have.  Well, this situation is no different at the undergrad level.  Indiana University offers probably 10 times the number of majors that small private schools like Valpo and Butler do and yet the NCAA doesn't allow undergrads to transfer for "academic reasons."   Academic offerings have to be taken into account upfront by the student athlete and his family.  The same should apply at the grad level.  Of course, we all know that's not what this is about.  This is a loophole that needs to be closed.

Wake me up when this is over and we get back to talking about legitimate issues, instead of gimmicks and manipulation.  

DMvalpo18

Quote from: wh on April 22, 2011, 07:03:28 AM
I've got to say, I think this whole business is ridiculous.  I'm not talking about Brandon, I'm talking about the rule itself.  The supposed purpose of the rule is to allow a student athlete to transfer to start a Master's program that his current school doesn't have.  Well, this situation is no different at the undergrad level.  Indiana University offers probably 10 times the number of majors that small private schools like Valpo and Butler do and yet the NCAA doesn't allow undergrads to transfer for "academic reasons."   Academic offerings have to be taken into account upfront by the student athlete and his family.  The same should apply at the grad level.  Of course, we all know that's not what this is about.  This is a loophole that needs to be closed.

Wake me up when this is over and we get back to talking about legitimate issues, instead of gimmicks and manipulation. 

we would certainly be foolish to think that these decisions about the 5th year transfer are purely academically motivated. how many student athletes make their decisions on where to play based on academics? on the major level, probably not too many...especially in the SEC. i don't recall those schools being noted for excellence in academics. anyway, i agree with what some have said here before. it is most likely a better move for brandon to stay. but if he leaves, and takes that risk, there is higher reward for him if it works out.

valpo04

Well it looks like he's going to Pittsburgh...

QuoteOnce one of baseball's most promising young prospects, Brandon Wood will get a chance to resurrect his career in Pittsburgh.

On Friday, the Pirates claimed Wood off waivers from the Angels, who had designated the infielder for assignment earlier in the week. Wood reportedly drew interest from multiple teams, but the Pirates, by virtue of having the worst record in 2010, had first dibs on the waiver wire.

:lol:

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/2011/04/22/pirates-claim-brandon-wood/

valporun

Quote from: valpo04 on April 22, 2011, 01:45:19 PM

QuoteOnce one of baseball's most promising young prospects, Brandon Wood will get a chance to resurrect his career in Pittsburgh.

On Friday, the Pirates claimed Wood off waivers from the Angels, who had designated the infielder for assignment earlier in the week. Wood reportedly drew interest from multiple teams, but the Pirates, by virtue of having the worst record in 2010, had first dibs on the waiver wire.

That's funny. The Pirates could use a better hitting infielder than former Cub, Ronny Cedeno at short.

In terms of MSU players who had done something in the NBA, don't forget about Mateen's teammate, Morris Peterson. Yeah, some of his career was relegated to Toronto, but he has done something in the NBA.

milanmiracle

I've got to say, I think this whole business is ridiculous.  I'm not talking about Brandon, I'm talking about the rule itself.  The supposed purpose of the rule is to allow a student athlete to transfer to start a Master's program that his current school doesn't have.  Well, this situation is no different at the undergrad level.  Indiana University offers probably 10 times the number of majors that small private schools like Valpo and Butler do and yet the NCAA doesn't allow undergrads to transfer for "academic reasons."   Academic offerings have to be taken into account upfront by the student athlete and his family.  The same should apply at the grad level.  Of course, we all know that's not what this is about.  This is a loophole that needs to be closed.

I'll put it like this...until they close the one and done rule, how is the grad school rule any worse? Is a Derek Rose rental any worse, or better, than a Brandon Wood rental?

I'll support Brandon in whatever he ends up doing, even if that means he leaves for another school. He left the place better than when he came here, and in the end that's all anyone can ask for.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 22, 2011, 08:55:26 PM

I'll put it like this...until they close the one and done rule, how is the grad school rule any worse? Is a Derek Rose rental any worse, or better, than a Brandon Wood rental?

I'll support Brandon in whatever he ends up doing, even if that means he leaves for another school. He left the place better than when he came here, and in the end that's all anyone can ask for.

Leaving a program after your first year, whether one-and-done or to transfer to another school (like Brandon already did), is different on many levels than leaving a program for another program prior to your final year.  You should be able to see that on your own.  If not, I would be wasting my time trying to explain it. 

DMvalpo18

i wholeheartedly agree. brandon has been a committed player to the program and has been a fun player to watch also. he deserves the best that he is able to get.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo04 on April 22, 2011, 01:45:19 PM

OK, I'll admit: you had me going there for a second or two.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 22, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

Leaving a program after your first year, whether one-and-done or to transfer to another school (like Brandon already did), is different on many levels than leaving a program for another program prior to your final year.  You should be able to see that on your own.  If not, I would be wasting my time trying to explain it. 

You're going to have to explain better why it is ok for Brandon to leave SIU Carbondale but terrible for him to leave Valpo. SIU lost him for 4 years. Valpo only loses him for one year (and that year will be after he graduates from Valpo). We sure are looking at this only through "Valpo" eyes.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on April 23, 2011, 08:53:10 AM
Quote from: wh on April 22, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

You're going to have to explain better why it is ok for Brandon to leave SIU Carbondale but terrible for him to leave Valpo. SIU lost him for 4 years. Valpo only loses him for one year (and that year will be after he graduates from Valpo). We sure are looking at this only through "Valpo" eyes.

He was in an unhappy place at SIU.  His coach used a lot of negative reinforcement that Brandon didn't relate to.  He was relegated to the bench.  Some fans on the SIU board claimed that the coach was questioning Brandon's heart when he said he was injured.  On and on.  By the end of the year Brandon wanted out and his coach wanted him out worse than he did.  If he was going to have any future in college basketball or any peace of mind, leaving was a no-brainer.

At Valpo Brandon is in a happy place.  His coach uses only positive reinforcement that Brandon totally relates to.  Thanks to his coach's positive style of instruction, Brandon bought into playing hard-nosed defense and became a complete player.  He is the star of the team.  He gets the most recognition and publicity.  He has received one-on-one instruction and a wealth of knowledge from someone who was drafted in the first round of the NBA draft from that very program and went on to play for 6 years and make millions of dollars.  He is almost assured to be pre-season POY next year and is positioned to have an outstanding senior season.  This year's HL POY and Butler's Mack have already helped establish a reputation that the HL is a place NBA scouts can find guards that have the potential to play at the next level. 

The bottom line is this.  He is positioned as well as any player ever could be to:
•   have an outstanding senior season playing for coaches and a program that have demonstrated their loyalty to him, treat him like family, and have not only developed him into an excellent basketball player but have given him life skills that will help him be successful long after his basketball days are gone.
•   be drafted.  Different from many Mid-Major coaches, Homer and Bryce have as many NBA connections and friendships as most any D-1 Major coaching staff has.  They also have outstanding European professional basketball connections.  The table is set for a possible feast, a table that Brandon, Homer and Bryce carefully prepared together.  And yet "well intending" people (undoubtedly including the usual array of wolves in sheep's clothing) are whispering in Brandon's ear, telling him that he should throw all this away in favor of a very risky opportunity of finding a prominent place at someone else's table with more glitz and glitter.

Do you see now why I'm having a little problem with this whole thing?

cmack

Once again, on this board, we hate the system when it works against us and love it when it works for us. Valpo eyes are singing again.

wh

Quote from: cmack on April 24, 2011, 08:40:47 AM
Once again, on this board, we hate the system when it works against us and love it when it works for us. Valpo eyes are singing again.
People of principle take positions based on a fundamental sense of right and wrong.  Whether it favors them is secondary.  For example, RLH has repeatedly said that he is opposed to the double bye tournament format, and would still be against it even if it favored Valpo.  I take him at his word.  I feel the same way.  And yet you use some worn out, unfair, overly simplified criticism in an attempt to discredit those people - people you don't even know.  If you live your life thinking all things that favor you are good and all things that don't are bad, then fine.  But don't assume everyone thinks like you do.

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 24, 2011, 09:35:29 AM
Lazerus weighs in.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/lazerus/4941662-452/lazerus-wood-leaves-vu-in-limbo.html

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2011/04/potential-brandon-wood-afterma.html

"Now whether Wood is seriously considering a transfer — or, for that matter, if the likes of Michigan State and Purdue are seriously considering Wood — is uncertain. If it's just a public relations move by Wood — an attempt by him and his very proactive father, Anthony, to boost his name recognition nationally — it's certainly working. Message boards across the Big Ten are lighting up with lengthy discussions of a player few had heard of a month ago. Draft experts are mentioning his name a lot more now than they did before (it's gone from none to some)."

Hmmm...a possible publicity stunt, something that I never considered.  I think I'm back to where I started - this will never happen.  It never made any sense from the beginning - until now.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: wh on April 24, 2011, 03:27:37 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on April 24, 2011, 09:35:29 AM
Lazerus weighs in.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/lazerus/4941662-452/lazerus-wood-leaves-vu-in-limbo.html

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2011/04/potential-brandon-wood-afterma.html

"Now whether Wood is seriously considering a transfer — or, for that matter, if the likes of Michigan State and Purdue are seriously considering Wood — is uncertain. If it's just a public relations move by Wood — an attempt by him and his very proactive father, Anthony, to boost his name recognition nationally — it's certainly working. Message boards across the Big Ten are lighting up with lengthy discussions of a player few had heard of a month ago. Draft experts are mentioning his name a lot more now than they did before (it's gone from none to some)."

Hmmm...a possible publicity stunt, something that I never considered.  I think I'm back to where I started - this will never happen.  It never made any sense from the beginning - until now.

how much publicity can that really get you?

sectionee

Enough to get people talking and to recognize who you are and what you are capable of doing on the basketball court.  Any publicity is good publicity right? All though I was on a Purdue board the other day and they were posting about how he was the HL player of the year, so not everyone has accurate information.