• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Western Michigan

Started by tjjvalpo, November 13, 2022, 09:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2022, 06:57:55 PM15 assists and 2 turnovers from our points! 

I was very high on both Preston and Darius last year (in that order) and their talents along with Nick Edwards should make point guard minutes very hard to find. Defensive match ups and scoring consistency should mainly dictate floor time because I'm not yet picturing much benefit from having any 2 playing lengthy minutes together. Maybe that could change? Thoughts?

Quote from: valpotx on November 13, 2022, 08:21:00 PMI like having 15 fouls at C, going into conference play.  We're going to need it against guys like Broadie (Drake), Mast (Bradley), and Phyfe (UNI). 

Is this trio of centers TODAY better than the Capo, Moussa, and young Vashil trio from a decade past? That bunch also gave us 15 fouls and they frequently used most or all of them without giving us many points. I think I would be happier if one of them really stepped forward and claimed the job!

Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2022, 06:57:55 PMAnd our two stars shown very brightly.

Agree so we should be solid at the point, marginal at center with 2 stars amoung the other 3 positions. Does Matt have enough filler pieces at the 2,3 and 4 to turn this bunch into a winner?

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on November 14, 2022, 09:12:04 AMI realize the Pomeroy ratings will adjust as the season progresses, but it's what we have and just an example that gives an approximate idea of relative strength. In any case, despite adjustments as the season advances, Western Michigan, Chicago State, and Incarnate Word are not going to be teams in the top 50% by the end of the year. The others could be. Therefore, I will wait to see Valpo's success against stronger teams rated in the upper half when they are played as the rankings settle before getting too enthusiastic.

I get what you are saying and you are most likely correct. Western Michigan has the opportunity to move up, but probably not above the 180 threshold of the top 50%, time will tell. If we look at how they performed at Minnesota I think they probably feel like they did not play very well on defense, allowing us to score 20 points more than the Gophers. Kobe going off for the early 15 points really shook them up. Their coach coming from the B1G probably got them fired up against Minnesota and then playing us was a big letdown, maybe in their minds an expected win. I wouldn't want to be at their practice today.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on November 14, 2022, 10:41:52 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2022, 06:57:55 PM15 assists and 2 turnovers from our points! 

I was very high on both Preston and Darius last year (in that order) and their talents along with Nick Edwards should make point guard minutes very hard to find. Defensive match ups and scoring consistency should mainly dictate floor time because I'm not yet picturing much benefit from having any 2 playing lengthy minutes together. Maybe that could change? Thoughts?

Quote from: valpotx on November 13, 2022, 08:21:00 PMI like having 15 fouls at C, going into conference play.  We're going to need it against guys like Broadie (Drake), Mast (Bradley), and Phyfe (UNI).

Is this trio of centers TODAY better than the Capo, Moussa, and young Vashil trio from a decade past? That bunch also gave us 15 fouls and they frequently used most or all of them without giving us many points. I think I would be happier if one of them really stepped forward and claimed the job!

Quote from: vu72 on November 13, 2022, 06:57:55 PMAnd our two stars shown very brightly.

Agree so we should be solid at the point, marginal at center with 2 stars amoung the other 3 positions. Does Matt have enough filler pieces at the 2,3 and 4 to turn this bunch into a winner?

I think it is easy to forget the players that did not play last night. I hope this is not a foreshadowing of the rest of an injury-riddled season.

• Preston Ruedinger - Has anything been said about when he might return? If he is out for an extended time he may find it difficult to get significant minutes with the way DeAveiro and Edwards played last night.
  • Cam Palesse - I was surprised that he was in street clothes last night. When and what did he injure?
  • Ibra Bayu - The mystery man. Other than the ridiculously athletic highlights from a couple of years ago, I have no idea when he might be able to play. Is he practicing at all? Todd thinks he might even start by the new year if I remember correctly from the over under Victory Bell podcast.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: justducky on November 14, 2022, 10:41:52 AMAnd our two stars shown very brightly.

Re

I really like what we are getting from Quinton.  He is now 10 of 22 from the 3 for the season and if that keeps up he's in rock star category.  I expect that between Max and Connor we will also get some shooting support and remember, Ibra is suppose to be a incredible athlete, if and when he returns to the court.  Nothing was said about why Cam wasn't in uniform either.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

FWalum wrote:

"I think it is easy to forget the players that did not play last night. I hope this is not a foreshadowing of the rest of an injury-riddled season.
Preston Ruedinger - Has anything been said about when he might return? If he is out for an extended time he may find it difficult to get significant minutes with the way DeAveiro and Edwards played last night.
Cam Palesse - I was surprised that he was in street clothes last night. When and what did he injure?
Ibra Bayu - The mystery man. Other than the ridiculously athletic highlights from a couple of years ago, I have no idea when he might be able to play. Is he practicing at all? Todd thinks he might even start by the new year if I remember correctly from the over under Victory Bell podcast."

Just an observation: I watched the post-game news conference, and I was reminded of a topic I mentioned in a post during September, the lack of coverage of VU sports by local media. During yesterday's presentation, I noticed another problem this loss of coverage has created. Paul was the only media person asking all the questions, as if it has become a personal interview. As far as I could tell, there weren't even any questions from a Torch reporter. Paul is great, knowledgeable, and he asks good questions. However, he can only ask so many before it gets uncomfortable, plus it can be awkward to ask about some subjects since he is a university employee. Additionally, some of the players may have been or currently might be students in his class, which can further complicate questioning. I sympathize with the position in which he finds himself. There was a time when other media had representatives at games who could ask questions in the post-game conferences as well. Without that local media coverage to provide variety, the discussions are limited by fewer perspectives (or just one) represented and less input from more objective outsiders.

elephtheria47

Missed the game. Sounds like play was much improved. While Pomeroy is still adjusting, the Almanac has Western MI as 3rd from the bottom and playing for a spot in the conference tournament. Lamar Norman is a nice piece, but not much after that. Like others, waiting to see about these #s against a better opponent.

vu72

Quote from: elephtheria47 on November 14, 2022, 12:33:30 PM
Missed the game. Sounds like play was much improved. While Pomeroy is still adjusting, the Almanac has Western MI as 3rd from the bottom and playing for a spot in the conference tournament. Lamar Norman is a nice piece, but not much after that. Like others, waiting to see about these #s against a better opponent.

The preseason coaches poll had them 8th of 12 with Norman being named 1st team all conference.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2022/10/25/mens-basketball-preseason-coaches-poll-all-mac-teams-announced.aspx
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Quote from: valpopal on November 14, 2022, 12:07:58 PM
FWalum wrote:

"I think it is easy to forget the players that did not play last night. I hope this is not a foreshadowing of the rest of an injury-riddled season.
Preston Ruedinger - Has anything been said about when he might return? If he is out for an extended time he may find it difficult to get significant minutes with the way DeAveiro and Edwards played last night.
Cam Palesse - I was surprised that he was in street clothes last night. When and what did he injure?
Ibra Bayu - The mystery man. Other than the ridiculously athletic highlights from a couple of years ago, I have no idea when he might be able to play. Is he practicing at all? Todd thinks he might even start by the new year if I remember correctly from the over under Victory Bell podcast."

Just an observation: I watched the post-game news conference, and I was reminded of a topic I mentioned in a post during September, the lack of coverage of VU sports by local media. During yesterday's presentation, I noticed another problem this loss of coverage has created. Paul was the only media person asking all the questions, as if it has become a personal interview. As far as I could tell, there weren't even any questions from a Torch reporter. Paul is great, knowledgeable, and he asks good questions. However, he can only ask so many before it gets uncomfortable, plus it can be awkward to ask about some subjects since he is a university employee. Additionally, some of the players may have been or currently might be students in his class, which can further complicate questioning. I sympathize with the position in which he finds himself. There was a time when other media had representatives at games who could ask questions in the post-game conferences as well. Without that local media coverage to provide variety, the discussions are limited by fewer perspectives (or just one) represented and less input from more objective outsiders.

All good points here. Figured I'd chime in.

1) A complete misstep on my part to not ask about Cam. I had put on Twitter that he was out with a thumb injury, but who the hell is on Twitter anymore? He got hurt in the second half of the Toledo game. As for Preston, he went through some shootaround drills and is getting closer. Another thing I put on Twitter, but I have to remember that while I live on that hellscape of a site, very few others do. I had a note to ask about injuries in the presser (I generally make a few notes as the game goes on for questions). I wanted to ask Matt about the student support and he gave a pretty solid answer and I forgot about injuries. I'll definitely get to it for Chicago State. Me not asking about injuries has nothing to do with shielding medical information or anything along those lines. It was a simple misstep. Remember, I'm the guy who once camped outside the Valpo locker room for 90 minutes to see if Ryan Fazekas was going to play.

2) As the guy who runs a subscription-based website that covers Valparaiso athletics, I both love and hate the fact that no other media were at the game. I love it because I've got exclusive access and if you want the story and quotes from someone who was there, I guess I'm it. Yes, ValpoAthletics.com writes great recaps and the presser is there for you to watch, but I'd like to think I add value as a storyteller by tying it all together. On the other hand, being the only one asking questions is frustrating. No two people see the game the same way and having another person in there to ask questions helps me see the game through someone else's eyes.

As an alum and someone who has dedicated much of my life to living in Valpo, being around the school and the athletics programs, it is truly sad for me to see that the local media are going the other way. I can't, for the life of me, figure what else those papers would be covering on Sunday. It was a 4p start. Plenty of time for deadline. The home opener. Should be some interest. I guess not.

I get great joy out of covering Valpo athletics and I hope that comes through with TheVictoryBell.com (cheap plug if you aren't a subscriber. $5 a month or $49.99 for the whole year). Thanks to all that do subscribe.

JD24

Quote from: Old Timer on November 14, 2022, 08:58:54 AMGood performance. Not sure how good Western Michigan will be. Enjoyed up tempo type of game. 20 fast break points and 46 points in the paint is impressive. Pushing the ball does not allow defense to set and provide help. Main concern is performance from the three big men 2 points and 13 rebounds and outside guard shooting. Time will tell as team improves. Several games to work on this before Eastern trip.
I've seen or we've seen nothing from the big guys over a couple of seasons for two of them which would indicate much difference offensively. Points will have to come from elsewhere which makes having a point guard not even looking at the basket which we saw last year and in game 1 this year a bigger issue.

FWalum

Vashil's best scoring year was his junior season when he average 6.9ppg, for his career 4.7ppg. Palm may not be as long as Vashil but appears to be very athletic, quick, and mobile. He needs to be able to handle the pick-and-roll a little better, but he could be a defensive force down low if he can stay out of trouble and not over commit. Edwards can score and will look to the basket so I think we could be alright, but who knows, we have only played two games.

JD24

Quote from: FWalum on November 14, 2022, 04:18:59 PMVashil's best scoring year was his junior season when he average 6.9ppg, for his career 4.7ppg. Palm may not be as long as Vashil but appears to be very athletic, quick, and mobile. He needs to be able to handle the pick-and-roll a little better, but he could be a defensive force down low if he can stay out of trouble and not over commit. Edwards can score and will look to the basket so I think we could be alright, but who knows, we have only played two games.
My mistake on the PG reference. Edwards looks like a guy who'll look for his shot. My reference was to DaVeiro in the preseason and game 1 and Reudinger in the preseason game who seem(ed) way too non committal to the basket. Tough to have two positions on the court which are non threats to shoot the ball.

tjjvalpo

DeAveiro definitely looked to shoot a lot more against Western Michigan and that threat lead to him dishing out 10 assists. When is the last time that we saw that? On top the fact he only had 1 TO.

AlaskaCrusader19

FWIW, WMU did nearly knock off Minnesota, but the Gophers are without their best player and just got ran off their home floor by DePaul last night.

FWalum

Quote from: JD24 on November 14, 2022, 08:26:08 PMMy mistake on the PG reference. Edwards looks like a guy who'll look for his shot. My reference was to DaVeiro in the preseason and game 1 and Reudinger in the preseason game who seem(ed) way too non committal to the basket. Tough to have two positions on the court which are non threats to shoot the ball.
Quote from: tjjvalpo on November 14, 2022, 09:57:49 PMDeAveiro definitely looked to shoot a lot more against Western Michigan and that threat lead to him dishing out 10 assists. When is the last time that we saw that? On top the fact he only had 1 TO.

I think JD24 was thinking about outside shooting. DeAveiro definitely was probing the driving lanes looking to get in the paint which produced some nice layups, but he is not yet an outside threat. I think that someone on the forum posted that the way DeAveiro was playing reminded them of Drake's Roman Penn. I agree, he was really keeping his dribble alive and probing weak spots of the defense which created a number of assist opportunities. Penn really does a great job of keeping that dribble going with his head up and seeing how the defense reacts. IMO we have not really had a point guard that has had that skill since Keith Carter and now it seems that DeAveiro and Edwards might both have that skill set.

justducky

Just to refresh my and our memories I looked a few things up.

Connor Barrett shot 31-78 for 39.7% from 3 as a freshman? My mind really garbled that memory and it must be because he shot so poorly last (injury) season.

Point Play #1 Nick Edwards was injured much of last season but had 87 assists vs 35 turnovers in 2020-21. I couldn't find his 3 point shooting % from Glenville St but he can score and distribute. #2 Preston Ruedinger was 32-8  assists to turnovers 2021-22. It just doesn't get any better than that. He also shot reluctantly but better than I thought from 3 where he came in at 27.7% with 13-47 shooting. He should be able to play more at the 2 position if he can get his 3 point shooting up to 32%? #3 Darius DeAveiro had 50 assists vs 24 turnovers in 21-22.  :thumbsup: but only shot 21% from 3. With this trio at point our turnovers should remain low and our assists very high both at the Valley and national levels.