• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball Coach

Started by setshot, April 04, 2012, 10:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Well, we are big on our state/sports teams, but we don't go around touting our universities as in another world versus everyone else just because they are in TX.  I would assume that hardly anyone on this board can give too many factual comments on where TX universities stand on a national scale, and would be surprised where some of them rank nationally.  It's assumed by people on the East coast that if you went to school in their direction, it is a superior school.  My comment was more directed at the smugness of what they perceive as their IQ versus other areas, not as much sports smugness.  It also may have to do with my company being based out of Boston, and I have to listen to way too much 'the Northeast is the best' bull$*!%  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Meanwhile, back at the topic..............For me, the cause for concern is this. We've been without a head coach for some time now. There's a lot of movement a foot with coaches taking new possitions, and universities going in different directions. Not only have we heard nothing about a strong candidate or two this late in the process, we haven't even heard the first rumor of interest by a candidate, or the school for that matter. The previous staff had a policy that the ladies would be on campus for classes, and workouts year round. This wasn't a school policy, but what the coaches put into place. We're coming up to May, and the last I heard, the players don't even know what they'll be doing this summer, or where they'll be doing it. Yeah, this is cause for concern as well.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on April 13, 2012, 11:42:58 PMThere is a women's basketball recruiting period in the spring, this year it's April 20-23 (or thereabouts). That's next weekend. My guess is that there will be a coach in place by then. With only six weeks or so of evaluation periods in a year, a school can't afford to give up a weekend without a coach.

Well, unless we are naming someone today ot looks like this recruiting period will be missed.  Are the assistants (not Kirby) still employed, if so what are they doing?

Freeman resigned 3/15, you figure about 2 weeks to gather candidates, 2 more weeks for interviews and hire someone. We are about a week beyond that. 

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 19, 2012, 08:30:30 AM
Quote from: jack on April 13, 2012, 11:42:58 PMThere is a women's basketball recruiting period in the spring, this year it's April 20-23 (or thereabouts). That's next weekend. My guess is that there will be a coach in place by then. With only six weeks or so of evaluation periods in a year, a school can't afford to give up a weekend without a coach.

Well, unless we are naming someone today ot looks like this recruiting period will be missed.  Are the assistants (not Kirby) still employed, if so what are they doing?

Freeman resigned 3/15, you figure about 2 weeks to gather candidates, 2 more weeks for interviews and hire someone. We are about a week beyond that.

Unless one of the assistants is a strong consideration to take the helm, (frankly, I like them, but don't think either is ready yet) How much time and effort does a program want them to invest, or would they personally want to invest, when it's a sured bet that, someone outside the program coming in to take over, will be bringing their own staff on board and starting a new. A new coach from outside will already be dealing with the recruits, hand picked by the previous staff, if they have signed on the dotted line already, and I have no reason to believe they haven't.
Again, if this was the men's program, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I feel for the ladies.

KL31NY

Quote from: jack on April 19, 2012, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 19, 2012, 08:30:30 AM

Unless one of the assistants is a strong consideration to take the helm, (frankly, I like them, but don't think either is ready yet) How much time and effort does a program want them to invest, or would they personally want to invest, when it's a sured bet that, someone outside the program coming in to take over, will be bringing their own staff on board and starting a new. A new coach from outside will already be dealing with the recruits, hand picked by the previous staff, if they have signed on the dotted line already, and I have no reason to believe they haven't.
Again, if this was the men's program, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I feel for the ladies.

Take the helm? Steve Helm?  ;D

But seriously, we better have someone soon. Very soon. This is a tough time to be at in the program without knowing who's going to be the leader moving forward...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

I figured someone would see that.  :P Just a play on words there. My guess is, we'll know something by the weekend. There has apparently been some activity on that front. We shall see.

bbtds

Yes, we could hire a male coach with the first name Adam(s), Scott, Richard(s)on), or Gerard(ot) but I think the wise decision would be to hire a female coach who would get in her Carr and beat it down to Valpo and make the Call-Away from the pressure, on some of these recruits. Some think the AD is taking 2 Lang(e) to make a decision. Would it really help if the decision were made by Komara? This new coach could Varner a little momentum and bring some hope if only a Timmer, man that would help. What a Ray of sunshine that would be. Some believe that this team will be sHort-on players if we don't get going on recruiting soon. First names of coaches are plentiful, Jan's one.

jack

Quote from: bbtds on April 20, 2012, 01:12:58 PM
Yes, we could hire a male coach with the first name Adam(s), Scott, Richard(s)on), or Gerard(ot) but I think the wise decision would be to hire a female coach who would get in her Carr and beat it down to Valpo and make the Call-Away from the pressure, on some of these recruits. Some think the AD is taking 2 Lang(e) to make a decision. Would it really help if the decision were made by Komara? This new coach could Varner a little momentum and bring some hope if only a Timmer, man that would help. What a Ray of sunshine that would be. Some believe that this team will be sHort-on players if we don't get going on recruiting soon. First names of coaches are plentiful, Jan's one.

Wow, someone has some time to burn!! :) Smart money say's it'll be a female, but whomever they chose, won't come for Free man!! ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on April 20, 2012, 01:12:58 PMYes, we could hire a male coach with the first name Adam(s), Scott, Richard(s)on), or Gerard(ot) but I think the wise decision would be to hire a female coach who would get in her Carr and beat it down to Valpo and make the Call-Away from the pressure, on some of these recruits. Some think the AD is taking 2 Lang(e) to make a decision. Would it really help if the decision were made by Komara? This new coach could Varner a little momentum and bring some hope if only a Timmer, man that would help. What a Ray of sunshine that would be. Some believe that this team will be sHort-on players if we don't get going on recruiting soon. First names of coaches are plentiful, Jan's one.

I had to kirby enthusiasm when I saw this. I think you did a gray job, and that your puns are a boone to the board, but you can have more material when you use the other part of their names, sur.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 20, 2012, 11:02:54 PM
Quote from: bbtds on April 20, 2012, 01:12:58 PMYes, we could hire a male coach with the first name Adam(s), Scott, Richard(s)on), or Gerard(ot) but I think the wise decision would be to hire a female coach who would get in her Carr and beat it down to Valpo and make the Call-Away from the pressure, on some of these recruits. Some think the AD is taking 2 Lang(e) to make a decision. Would it really help if the decision were made by Komara? This new coach could Varner a little momentum and bring some hope if only a Timmer, man that would help. What a Ray of sunshine that would be. Some believe that this team will be sHort-on players if we don't get going on recruiting soon. First names of coaches are plentiful, Jan's one.

I had to kirby enthusiasm when I saw this. I think you did a gray job, and that your puns are a boone to the board, but you can have more material when you use the other part of their names, sur.

Reading all of this, I couldn't Hammel it. I busted a Gutowski, and if there was video of this, it would have been a thing to Bechtold. Even the Caped Cru-Stangler had to get a laugh from this.

valpopal

Mike Flynn of Blue Star Basketball Media, who earlier reported Valpo had narrowed the field to Providence assistant coach Shauna Green and a D-2 coach, now says he heard that "Green is out of the Valpo running, the job went to the D2 coach, and I don't have the name."

vufan75

Per Paul Oren on Twitter just a few minutes ago, "Ferris State women's basketball coach Tracey Dorow named to same position at Valparaiso. More details to come."

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpopal

This confirms Mike Flynn's tweets from Saturday:

"Hearing from #USJN Windy City in IL that Valpo is down to two Shauna Green & a d2 coach named Darro?"

"Green is out of the Valpo running."

IndyValpo

Interestingly at Ferris she had one assistant who was a Valpo grad and a manager of the men's and women's BB teams 2001-05.  I would assume he will join her here.

The only other coach was a volunteer assistant who is her father.

VULB#62

It appears from the year-by-year record attached to the release that she only had three sub.500 seasons and two of those were consecutive.  And with that exception, whenever the record dropped below .500 it was immediately followed by progressively stronger winning seasons.  That suggests recruiting youngsters and developing them into winners and then  starting over again.  Hopefully, at Valpo she can reach the re-load level.  Best wishes to her.

setshot

I was hoping Valpo would go green,with an East coast connection. However,Dorow from Ferris state sounds like the wheel deal. Welcome aboard and good luck. Go Valpo!

valpotx

Congrats to Tracey, and hopefully she returns us back to being a contender!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I wish the "meet the public" meeting was going to be on the net.  Maybe someone who can be there will be kind enough to give us their impressions.  Sounds like a very good hire and her comments lead me to think she will be a very good fit.  Now, for setshot's sake, it would have been better if the women had been a Johns Hopkins grad and black, but I'm sure one of three still makes him happy!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Any coach who starts out by thanking the Lord is A-OK in my book. Mark L has yet to make a bad hire. Paul

ValpoHoops

Tracey is a fantastic coach and a better lady. She wil represent the program, school and community extremely well and I am proud that she is the coach of my school. I truly believe that he will be able to turn the program back into what it should be.

As for her assistant, the Valpo grad, just a gut feeling that he will be joining her ;).

jack

It'll be intersting to see if this new coach will retain the 2 assistants that are still there. I think with them both being new to the scene, it might not be a bad idea to keep them around. They haven't been involved with the program so long (as was Kirby) that they can't adapt a new philosophy, and by all accounts, the two have built up a repore with the players.
We'll see.

VULB#62

She's brought at least 1 assistant with her from Ferris State -- Kurt Westendorp -- according to the VU Athletics website.

bbtds

It looks like Valpo women's basketball is no longer Free, man, we'll just have to wait to see what happens to-Dorow. And Kurt will be coming south and Westendorp with her.

valporun

Yes, Kurt Westendorp has been announced as a part of Coach Dorow's staff, now if we'll see either Steve Helm or Kelly Komara joining her is unknown. Having seen Coach Dorow's record, I'm definitely excited to see that if we have a down year somewhere, she'll be able to put the pieces together to get them back over the .500 mark quickly. Now what current players will be returning and what signed recruits will be coming for the 2012-2013 season?