• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football recruiting 2023

Started by IndyValpo, April 29, 2022, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

We have a (unannounced as far as I know) DT coach Vernell Price who appears to be all over recruiting in the short time he has been here.

NWIGuy

valpofb16

Not a political post. But Valpo will have a hard time keeping anyone as cost of living rises. Work for free and pay to play.

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on May 01, 2022, 06:26:32 AM
Not a political post. But Valpo will have a hard time keeping anyone as cost of living rises. Work for free and pay to play.

I don't see this as a political issue, either, but I offer a different take on this. If a sport does not generate significant revenues, then it's really more akin to an extracurricular activity, like working on student theatrical productions or the college newspaper. That's hardly "pay to play." Rather, it's more like being any other student and having the option to take part in campus activities. (Ideally, need-based grant monies help to soften the sticker price.)

Probably the main reason why we have FCS non-scholarship football is because the NCAA no longer permits DI schools to drop to D3 for football. In fact, it's fair to hypothesize that the overall quality of FCS non-scholarship football is largely equivalent to that of solid DIII football programs. I'd be surprised, for example, if many Pioneer League teams could beat a current version of Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater. So, VU and similar football programs have to operate in this technically DI, but financially DIII environment.

valpofb16

David81 I'm on same page. Really it is a misread by University and Athletics Department. Football is your largest alumni / donor pool, however the University does not recognize this. Many former players feel alienated by the University.

Instead they are funneling money into the Basketball team which provides maybe 1-2 four year seniors with the transfer portal.

So over the course of 4 years your trading in 100 potential donors for 6-8. Not great, especially with Bball team struggling in the Valley.

But I digress

usc4valpo

16 - although generous, I doubt football alums are providing truly significant funds to the program that make a difference. Also, despite recent apathy to basketball at Valpo, football has no or very little following, partially because of poor performance over the past 2 decades.

Basketball will always be the flagship sport at Valpo and most funding needs to go to that program. Regarding football, even Padilla mentioned it is D3 level.

valpo95

Quote from: David81 on May 01, 2022, 11:35:08 AM

I don't see this as a political issue, either, but I offer a different take on this. If a sport does not generate significant revenues, then it's really more akin to an extracurricular activity, like working on student theatrical productions or the college newspaper. That's hardly "pay to play." Rather, it's more like being any other student and having the option to take part in campus activities. (Ideally, need-based grant monies help to soften the sticker price.)

Probably the main reason why we have FCS non-scholarship football is because the NCAA no longer permits DI schools to drop to D3 for football. In fact, it's fair to hypothesize that the overall quality of FCS non-scholarship football is largely equivalent to that of solid DIII football programs. I'd be surprised, for example, if many Pioneer League teams could beat a current version of Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater. So, VU and similar football programs have to operate in this technically DI, but financially DIII environment.

We have an interesting and current case study happening right now. St. Thomas joined the PFL last year, tied for third at 6-2 in conference and 7-3 overall. Historically, the Tommies have been an excellent D-III program, losing twice in the Stagg Bowl to Mount Union over the last decade. Valpo lost to St. Thomas 20-13 in St. Paul last October, so I think it is fair to say that the levels are similar.

VUSupport

Would love to see the % of football alums that have actually given back $$$ to the school or program. Just like Coach Fox, a lot of bark and no bite.

historyman

Quote from: VUSupport on September 02, 2022, 04:59:49 AMa lot of bark and no bite.

I will testify that neither Beacon or Blazer (sp?) bit anyone except maybe the Valpo Alpo. Wow! I think I have entered the doghouse forever.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpofb16

Looks like Spencer Micklebury has joined the program from Western Ontario.

6'4. 270 OL. 2 star out of Colorado.

Probably will be announced for spring like Randall  and Mann.

vu72

I believe Coach Fox said that there were 50 recruits at the game.  Pretty impressive game and atmosphere!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

New Commit: Nick Beidl 5'10 190 Carmel HS , IN - RB

Other Offers: Morehead State

Team National Rank: 347

Commits:

RB: Beidl
OL: Thorgersen

valpofb16

Mason Kaplan has transferred to Illinois State

soapyjeans

Good luck to Kaplan, I liked his style, he was good at finding his targets, good on the run, liked his unpredictable moves.  I get it, he's young and talented enough not to settle for 2nd.  This means Valpo may be facing off against him next season!  Won't that be interesting to watch.   :twocents:

JD24

Quote from: soapyjeans on November 22, 2022, 05:36:13 PMGood luck to Kaplan, I liked his style, he was good at finding his targets, good on the run, liked his unpredictable moves.  I get it, he's young and talented enough not to settle for 2nd.  This means Valpo may be facing off against him next season!  Won't that be interesting to watch.   :twocents:
ISU has a junior and redshirt freshman who played this past season. The junior has started at Minnesota in the past. Assuming they both stay, it's likely Kaplan is assimilating to playing time over a couple of seasons....at best.

valpofb16

JD24. A few things to unpack. Yes it looks like there is a RSFR in the mix already at ISU. They are short on QBs for spring , only two. Think this was an offer to come practice. I really doubt he plays meaningful snaps without injury for the Redbirds.

It was also odd how a concussion knocked him out for 4 weeks and the Monday after FCS finished regular season he is on a new roster. Think some poaching may have occured.

Rowan Keefe had more offers than Kaplan out of HS, he now is the assumed back up. Everything runs through Appel.

valpofb16

DT Chase Randall has entered the Transfer Portal. Was beat out by a true freshman Logan Chastain. RSSO Trojanek is the back up.

valpotx

How do you transfer in November?  Is he out all of those classes for this semester?
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on November 23, 2022, 05:48:55 PMHow do you transfer in November?  Is he out all of those classes for this semester?
I thought of that with Kaplan myself. Maybe he finishes the semester and then moves.

soapyjeans

And so it begins, argh.  That transfer portal can be bittersweet, hope we don't lose any of our talented players.  :twocents:

valpofb16

#88 RSFR George Dristiliaris has entered the portal. Backed up Hafner to begin season. Molnar and Elmore began taking reps as season moved on

valpofb16

Starting LG Ryan Merklinger has entered the portal.

valpofb16

#58 James Doerer is in transfer portal. ILB started vast majority of season. Lost spot to Birmingham.

That's 5/75 travel roster underclassmen. Some big blows

valpofb16

#88 Brian Hunter has entered the portal. WR played in 1 Game after big spring season.

valpofb16

WR #15 RSFR Dom Grguric has entered the portal. 11 GP big on special teams.

Roster will look very different