• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

JEOPARDY fans Unite ! Tournament of Champions

Started by talksalot, February 20, 2013, 04:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Once again, VU is well represented at the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions !   Russ Schumacher won a TON of $$ a few years ago... and now, we have '92 Dr. Stephanie Jass soaring into the Quarter Finals starting today !!

I watched her hot streak of wins a few months ago... very impressive... and she made it out of the preliminary round ...

Go Stephanie!!

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on February 20, 2013, 04:18:17 PMRuss Schumacher won a TON of $$ a few years ago...

Oh wow!  I don't think I knew that!  He and I used to play College Bowl together at VU.  $320k lifetime Jeopardy winnings.  Wow! 

Talksalot... I suspect you read for at least one of those College Bowl games, back when the Union used to sponsor a tournament

I also didn't realize he was now at Colorado State.  What do you know?

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for posting talksalot. Isn't she one of the most successful female contestants in history??
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on February 20, 2013, 09:33:45 PM
When is it on Central time and what network?

It varies in each broadcast area.

Go Stephanie!!

talksalot

Yeh, I was an emcee for most of the college bowl stuff on campus for several years, did the MidWest Regional at Rose Hulman in the mid 90's... that was a lot of fun...  Not enough interested I guess to keep it going; we haven't done one for a couple of years.

as for Stephanie, I believe she was the most successful female contestant... but I don't know if that was in $$ won or in Matches won (I believe 7 or 8).   The show airs twice on my local comcast.   One I never get to watch:  3:30pm from Channel 7 Chicago (HD-187) and again at 6:30pm (Channel 22 out of South Bend).  All Times CENTRAL.

LaPorteAveApostle

The only major media market to air JEOPARDY out of prime time.

What is Chicago, Alex?

Because of that airing anomaly, my mother SPOILERED (without ALERTING) the result my college buddy ('95 Teen Tournament champion)'s return to the Ultimate Tournament of Champions by calling me after his third-round loss when I was driving back to Ohio to watch it at the reunion with everyone.  I'm not proud at how mad I got at my dear sainted mother that day.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on February 21, 2013, 05:55:11 AMNot enough interested I guess to keep it going; we haven't done one for a couple of years.

I figured it was some sort of change of priorities or personnel in the Union management.  It seemed like that was the driving force for getting the CBI event on campus - as a campus life social event, more or less.  But it stopped while I was off campus, so I'm not sure exactly what happened.

It would be fun to get it going as a club sport (it was mostly not very serious at Valpo as an intercollegiate competitive event in the old days), or perhaps as a campus wide event as before, sometime.  It's somewhere down my list of "Things to consider at VU".   

valporun

agibson, maybe it could be a fundraising event in conjunction with a capital campaign or maybe involved with the SALT group one year for their World Relief Campaign project? Just throwing out a couple of ideas, as it would be a fun event for either the campus community or some kind of Illinois-Indiana-regional colleges competition with a trophy for bragging rights purposes, even if bragging/boasting is a no-no in the Bible.

ml2

I participated in the College Bowl all four of my undergrad years at Valpo. It was a great event and a lot of fun!

agibson

Quote from: valporun on February 21, 2013, 09:47:08 AM
agibson, maybe it could be a fundraising event in conjunction with a capital campaign or maybe involved with the SALT group one year for their World Relief Campaign project?

The trivia that's happened on campus this year and last year has been along those lines.  As a fundraiser for the Bill Marion First Generation Scholarship Fund.

http://www.valpo.edu/diversity/memorialscholarship/index.php

It's been great fun.  (And great fun for Physics and Astronomy to win both times... oh wait, did we say that bragging was bad?)

Just throwing out a couple of ideas, as it would be a fun event for either the campus community or some kind of Illinois-Indiana-regional colleges competition with a trophy for bragging rights purposes, even if bragging/boasting is a no-no in the Bible.

In the past it was sort of a hybrid like this.  An on campus tournament with a bunch of teams from around campus.  And the winners, or an All-Star team or similar, going to a regional tournament.

All through the CBI organization.

Another possibility would be to take it more seriously, as a sort of a club "sport", and then there are a whole range of competitions one could attend, etc, etc. 

We'll see - maybe one of these years.

talksalot

Sorry, nothing will ever compete with the Trivia Nights on Valentine's Weekend in the 70s.  When 'VUR would read a question and you had to use your dormitory phone to call the station with the answer while a song was playing.   We had a dozen phone lines setup... and we asked 50-questions a night... Prize was a sheet pizza at Fazel's (HUNGRY FOR ONE NOW!).  We would have tons of teams.   It was THE thing.

Oh, about the College Bowl... I understand it was rather expensive to buy the tournament (the packets were locked up... every school had to do it at exactly the same time to keep the questions confidential)... Jon Burk realy liked it, but he is now at Baldwin-Wallace in Cleveland...