• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fites Engineering Innovation Center (Gellersen)

Started by okinawatyphoon, March 10, 2011, 08:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

VU addition will add lab, demonstration space
http://www.nwi.com/articles/2009/04/02/news/porter/doc7a297123da1b0cdd8625758c0003cb3c.txt

The exterior is almost complete, with a projected completion date of Fall 2011.

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

78crusader

Okinawa,

Is there a web cam for the new academic building going up next to the library?  Thanks, Paul

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: 78crusader on March 13, 2011, 09:09:17 PM
Okinawa,

Is there a web cam for the new academic building going up next to the library?  Thanks, Paul

Nope, there's not. There's also very little mention of this project on the university website. However, please see the thread about the building where hopefully we can get updates from those in the area.

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for the pics a3. The brick and the windows look very nice!

vuweathernerd

i wish i was still there.... i miss valpo already, and i've only been gone for 3 months...

okinawatyphoon

Speaking of the solar furnace, here's a rendering from the architect's website (Design Organization). Sorry for the small picture, it's all they had. Hopefully it gives everyone an idea of how it might look.

78crusader

Just curious...has work started on the University Promenade project at the North entrance off Lincolnway?  And can someone post a recent picture of the new academic building so we can see how it's coming along?  Thanks, Paul

a3uge

This oval thing is going up next to Gellerson.

okinawatyphoon

Interesting.....any idea what it is? Maybe a redesigned solar furnace?

a3uge

That's my guess. There simply isn't enough room in the spot the rendering is, unless they removed a transformer and the round observatory stand. This thing is oval and takes up some space. It's on the east end of Gellerson, which was just an open field. I could be wrong, but a lot more work would be needed to put the solar furnace in the location of the rendering, and the location I mentioned obviously could start right away.

valporun

Quote from: a3uge on April 28, 2011, 03:42:14 PM
That's my guess. There simply isn't enough room in the spot the rendering is, unless they removed a transformer and the round observatory stand. This thing is oval and takes up some space. It's on the east end of Gellerson, which was just an open field. I could be wrong, but a lot more work would be needed to put the solar furnace in the location of the rendering, and the location I mentioned obviously could start right away.

Does this mean they had to move the Astronomy Observatory for this solar furnace thing to go behind Gellersen?

okinawatyphoon

I noticed on the webcam that some of the exterior lighting has been completed. I will try and capture a few pics over the weekend, but this project appears to be largely complete.

okinawatyphoon

Some photos of the interior of the building have been uploaded to the valpo flickr page. Take a look at the link....it looks fantastic!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/valparaiso_university/sets/72157627476887716/

vu72

Very impressive.  The Business School had better be next!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofan56

Quote from: vu72 on August 20, 2011, 03:27:37 PM
Very impressive.  The Business School had better be next!!   ;)

Actually, Neil's Science Center better be next. It definitely needs it the most!

okinawatyphoon

vuweathernerd

so it's done i take it? anybody been inside it?

historyman

Yes, was inside the building in July. That is when I heard the explanation of the purpose of the solar furnace oven.

The pictures are very well done and show a good deal of what one can view of the building.

One area that you may notice is that there are areas of the ceiling where the vent system is exposed and then areas directly next to the exposed vent system where there are ceiling tiles hanging down and only covers part of the ceiling. This is obviously by design. But I certainly don't understand that architectural design with parts of the vent system exposed and part covered.

valpo95

Any more pictures available of the solar furnace facility?  Maybe some more that shows how it is positioned relative to Gellersen?

okinawatyphoon

This project has been completed, and dedication is set for October 29. The only thing left is completion of the solar furnace, which won't be until next year sometime I read.

agibson

Quote from: historyman on August 26, 2011, 09:16:22 AM
One area that you may notice is that there are areas of the ceiling where the vent system is exposed and then areas directly next to the exposed vent system where there are ceiling tiles hanging down and only covers part of the ceiling. This is obviously by design. But I certainly don't understand that architectural design with parts of the vent system exposed and part covered.

I'm not sure I follow your whole paragraph - so pardon me if I'm repeating the obvious.  I read that, as you say, this was definitely intentional.  And felt as especially appropriate for an engineering building, to leave some of the engineering guts of the building visible.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on October 07, 2011, 12:12:37 PM
Quote from: historyman on August 26, 2011, 09:16:22 AM

I'm not sure I follow your whole paragraph - so pardon me if I'm repeating the obvious.  I read that, as you say, this was definitely intentional.  And felt as especially appropriate for an engineering building, to leave some of the engineering guts of the building visible.

To me it's like looking at a picture of a human body and most of the body is covered with skin but let's say a leg is exposed and you can see all the bones and veins because it's not covered by skin. Why have the beauty of the body showing if you aren't going to complete the beauty by exposing the "guts" of the body in the leg. It ruins the whole by showing some of the "guts."

vu72

Here is a website which gives some additional info on the solar furnace project:

http://www.valpo.edu/engineering/solar/index.php

http://www.valpo.edu/engineering/solar/about.php
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Saw them putting the stage together this afternoon when I drove by.  I hope they have nice weather on Saturday!