• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo hosts UNI Game Thread, Wed., Feb. 5, 2020, 7:00p CT

Started by wh, February 04, 2020, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

VUGrad1314

A tough and daunting game... Round 2 of JFL vs Green. This is going to be a good one and I expect a big crowd even for a midweek game. Yet, given our performance in Cedar Falls I can't help but wonder if maybe we have the slightest shot of actually winning this game. If we do, our chances of avoiding Thursday go way up. This is a huge game and I hope the team comes ready. We need to do our best to stop Green but he's going to get his regardless most likely so I wouldn't make that the focus of the gameplan. What's more important is stopping their secondary scoring (Haldeman Berhow Brown). Phyfe is going to be tough to handle inside unless somebody really steps up. We need a big game from Mileek or Clay or Krikke or whoever is tasked with defending down low but we will be at a disadvantage there for sure. If Jacobson is smart he will pound the post relentlessly. We likely don't have a ready answer for Phyfe's size and skill. If Jacobson tries to put it all on Green and we can lock out the rest of their shooters we have a chance. If he recognizes and exploits his advantage UNI probably wins fairly comfortably.

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on February 04, 2020, 12:18:40 PMWaterloo Cedar Falls Courier pre-game article (with quotes from both coaches): https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/mens_basketball/uni-freshmen-have-earned-jacobson-s-trust/article_e6b48dfc-979b-5c5b-9f83-178cd08c940a.html

From article:

QuoteJohn Kiser and Javon Freeman-Liberty of Valparaiso rank first and second among the MVC's steal leaders with a combined total of 3.8 steals per game during league play.

This is true in conference only.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Just Sayin link=topic=3651.msg123222#msg123222 date=1580843152

From article:

left]
QuoteJohn Kiser and Javon Freeman-Liberty of Valparaiso rank first and second among the MVC's steal leaders with a combined total of 3.8 steals per game during league play.
[/left]

Who cares? That's still a great stat and if we can turn UNI over like that we can stay in the game. Them living up to that stat and giving us four extra possessions could be key in this game.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 04, 2020, 01:16:26 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin link=topic=3651.msg123222#msg123222 date=1580843152 From article:left]
[/left] This is true in conference only.
Who cares? That's still a great stat and if we can turn UNI over like that we can stay in the game. Them living up to that stat and giving us four extra possessions could be key in this game.

No one cares about stats. They are completely meaningless.

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 04, 2020, 01:23:59 PM

Quote from: Just Sayin link=topic=3651.msg123222#msg123222 date=1580843152 From article:left]

That's pretty dumb don't ya think?  Maybe sarcastic?  Need a wink.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpower

Only 65% of them are.

wh

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on February 04, 2020, 03:09:29 PM

Only 65% of them are.

It's not that stats are meaningless it's that some people only look at stats that help their cause or argument. When one looks at stats they must look at all the stats not just the ones that help them make a certain argument. That is true 100% of the time when the argument you are making is only 50% correct.

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin link=topic=3651.msg123222#msg123222 date=1580843152

From article:

left]
[/left]

The other stat that must be looked at is how many of those steals turn into Valpo points. I seem to remember that many times when Valpo steals the ball they turn it over again back to the opposition.

VUSWIM08-12

I believe this game is PIVOTAL in terms of our confidence building into late February and St. Louis. UNI is on the cusp of an at large bid, currently a 10 seed with Lunardi and ranked top 55 in nearly everyone ranking. We played them well on their home court, JFL needs to get back on track. I think Fazekas has had enough playing time so the offense will hopefully flow. Sackey hits a couple 3s and Valpo wins. Line moved from +4.5 to +3.5 for Valpo already, money line at Valpo +140 which I'll be taking. We've got to WIN A HOME GAME vs this team. It's on Lottich IMO, Jacobson is the better coach but can Lottich prove he's right there as well. We hold Green to <16 and Valpo wins 74-67.

Valpower

Deep rotations allow you to maintain fresh legs to apply intense defensive pressure, keep the shooters in a comfort zone, and make you hard to scout, but it can sometimes be at the expense of identity, which leads to inconsistency. JFL is our go-to guy offensively, but beyond him it's been murky.  UNI is the opposite with the starting five logging serious minutes.  AJ is their offensive leader, but when he's off there's no confusion about who's supposed to pick up the slack and that's why they're so consistent.

Fazekas' return can't be undervalued as it adds clarity, brings a new weapon, and changes the way teams defend us, which improves the output of our other players. We've seen it already. In many ways, UNI is facing a vastly different team. If we use our depth to aggressively force turnovers and work the inside game early, we should be able to endure foul trouble better than they can and test their bench strength. It should be a great game.

wh

I just looked online for game day articles from the Post Trib and NWI Times, and couldn't find anything. Unless I'm missing them, it seems that spotty pregame coverage has become the new norm. Contrast this with the Waterloo Cedar Falls newspaper game day article I posted earlier, replete with direct quotes from both coaches.

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on February 05, 2020, 10:39:09 AM
I just looked online for game day articles from the Post Trib and NWI Times, and couldn't find anything. Unless I'm missing them, it seems that spotty pregame coverage has become the new norm. Contrast this with the Waterloo Cedar Falls newspaper game day article I posted earlier, replete with direct quotes from both coaches.

Sadly this is a reality. I wish it were not the case. Not sure exactly why we aren't be asked to write previews. Maybe they don't generate page clicks. Maybe we don't have enough space. Maybe if the team was in first place. I don't have the answers. Trust me when I tell you it isn't lack of effort on reporters side. It might not even be lack of effort from the sports editors. It could be the higherups or some other answer that alludes me.

It really does seem to be a chicken or the egg thing. VU averages less than 3,000 fans per game. Would they average more fans per game if we wrote more articles? Would we write more articles if more fans were at the games? I really don't know the answer and I don't even know if they two are linked.

A look at our five "most popular" sports stories today shows 1) Local football players going to VU, 2) Griffith bowling, 3) Wrestling sectionals 4) DAC Swim meet 5) Munster/Lowell boys basketball. A look at the five "most popular" at the Waterloo paper shows five high school stories.

I don't think I've said anything here that we don't already know. High school sports drive the market. If I wrote a story about three California kids committing to VU football, would it be ranked as the most popular? Definitely not. All I can ask you to do is keep reading, and I'll keep trying to put out good stuff when given the opportunity. I've got another episode of Union Street Hoops coming out in a couple hours. I hope you'll enjoy it.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpower on February 05, 2020, 10:09:20 AM
Deep rotations allow you to maintain fresh legs to apply intense defensive pressure, keep the shooters in a comfort zone, and make you hard to scout, but it can sometimes be at the expense of identity, which leads to inconsistency. JFL is our go-to guy offensively, but beyond him it's been murky.  UNI is the opposite with the starting five logging serious minutes.  AJ is their offensive leader, but when he's off there's no confusion about who's supposed to pick up the slack and that's why they're so consistent.

Fazekas' return can't be undervalued as it adds clarity, brings a new weapon, and changes the way teams defend us, which improves the output of our other players. We've seen it already. In many ways, UNI is facing a vastly different team. If we use our depth to aggressively force turnovers and work the inside game early, we should be able to endure foul trouble better than they can and test their bench strength. It should be a great game.

Very strong point about depth being a really puzzler for establishing an identify.  I believe this team is starting to understand roles and this "should" begin to reduce the scoring droughts and defensive blunders.  I still think UNI is better at nearly every position 1-5 in many ways, Green is an absolute stud and is polished offensively.

Many have said Javon is working through an injury, and I believe it.  This is forcing our other players to step up when Javon is not playing with that step faster and scoring at will.  That being said, here is what that has looked like going back to Fazekas return at Missouri State:

Missouri State
Sackey 4/9 FG, Clay 2/9 FG, Gordon 1/9 FG, Mileek 4/8 FG, Fazekas 2/5 FG

Evansville
Mileek 6/9 FG and then 4 guys with 5+ attempts

Bradley
Clay 6/12, Fazekas 5/12 and then 2 guys with 5+ attempts

Illinois State
Clay 5/11, Krikke 6/8 and then 4 guys with 5+ attempts

Even before Fazekas' return we had inexperienced players (with each other) and there was a goodly amount of "no . . . you score" going around with the team.  With Javon seemingly not driving to the basket like the OOC schedule (being doubled & hobbled) we need others that open up the defense and allow for offensive flow.  I am starting to really like Zion Morgan getting more minutes because he opens up the lanes and his drives are taken seriously.  His energy and length are unmatched by most of those that guard him.  I like his upside and I would like to see more minutes for Zion down the stretch.  It's obvious that Sackey is a great leader, but sometimes you have to limit his minutes on these dry spells and I see coach doing just that.

With how poorly we have started games . . . what's wrong with starting Zion at PG and seeing what he can bring.  Is that too big of a blow to Sackey?

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on February 05, 2020, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: wh on February 05, 2020, 10:39:09 AM

Sadly this is a reality. I wish it were not the case. Not sure exactly why we aren't be asked to write previews. Maybe they don't generate page clicks. Maybe we don't have enough space. Maybe if the team was in first place. I don't have the answers. Trust me when I tell you it isn't lack of effort on reporters side. It might not even be lack of effort from the sports editors. It could be the higherups or some other answer that alludes me.

It really does seem to be a chicken or the egg thing. VU averages less than 3,000 fans per game. Would they average more fans per game if we wrote more articles? Would we write more articles if more fans were at the games? I really don't know the answer and I don't even know if they two are linked.

A look at our five "most popular" sports stories today shows 1) Local football players going to VU, 2) Griffith bowling, 3) Wrestling sectionals 4) DAC Swim meet 5) Munster/Lowell boys basketball. A look at the five "most popular" at the Waterloo paper shows five high school stories.

I don't think I've said anything here that we don't already know. High school sports drive the market. If I wrote a story about three California kids committing to VU football, would it be ranked as the most popular? Definitely not. All I can ask you to do is keep reading, and I'll keep trying to put out good stuff when given the opportunity. I've got another episode of Union Street Hoops coming out in a couple hours. I hope you'll enjoy it.

I blame Paul Oren for our attendance woes.  Everyone with me? :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 05, 2020, 12:25:06 PM

Very strong point about depth being a really puzzler for establishing an identify.  I believe this team is starting to understand roles and this "should" begin to reduce the scoring droughts and defensive blunders.  I still think UNI is better at nearly every position 1-5 in many ways, Green is an absolute stud and is polished offensively.

Many have said Javon is working through an injury, and I believe it.  This is forcing our other players to step up when Javon is not playing with that step faster and scoring at will.  That being said, here is what that has looked like going back to Fazekas return at Missouri State:

Missouri State
Sackey 4/9 FG, Clay 2/9 FG, Gordon 1/9 FG, Mileek 4/8 FG, Fazekas 2/5 FG

Evansville
Mileek 6/9 FG and then 4 guys with 5+ attempts

Bradley
Clay 6/12, Fazekas 5/12 and then 2 guys with 5+ attempts

Illinois State
Clay 5/11, Krikke 6/8 and then 4 guys with 5+ attempts

Even before Fazekas' return we had inexperienced players (with each other) and there was a goodly amount of "no . . . you score" going around with the team.  With Javon seemingly not driving to the basket like the OOC schedule (being doubled & hobbled) we need others that open up the defense and allow for offensive flow.  I am starting to really like Zion Morgan getting more minutes because he opens up the lanes and his drives are taken seriously.  His energy and length are unmatched by most of those that guard him.  I like his upside and I would like to see more minutes for Zion down the stretch.  It's obvious that Sackey is a great leader, but sometimes you have to limit his minutes on these dry spells and I see coach doing just that.

With how poorly we have started games . . . what's wrong with starting Zion at PG and seeing what he can bring.  Is that too big of a blow to Sackey?

Solid points.  Clearly we need to rely on others than just Javon and if we do, it actually will help Javon do his thing. Notwithstanding the hype about how he worked in the off season to improve his shot (no doubt he did), something is off and, as mentioned by others it may be an injury.  He is 2-20 from the 3 in the last four games and 13-61( 21.3%) for the conference so far. That's the worst on the team.  Forget the three ball, drive and dish!  We need to get their bigs in foul trouble and/or go to a five guard lineup and run, run ,run!  Should be a great game!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpower

Quote from: vu72 on February 05, 2020, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 05, 2020, 12:25:06 PM

Even before Fazekas' return we had inexperienced players (with each other) and there was a goodly amount of "no . . . you score" going around with the team.  ...

...  Forget the three ball, drive and dish!  ...

Part of the reluctance to score and the inability to drive and dish might be that the outside threat was not taken seriously. It's difficult to space properly for it when the defense clogs the interior and dares you to shoot from the perimeter. 

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 05, 2020, 12:44:10 PMWith how poorly we have started games . . . what's wrong with starting Zion at PG and seeing what he can bring.

Interesting idea. It would be a difficult sell for me to believe he should get starter minutes but within the general cap of 15 total min per game I'm flexible on how that might be best achieved. On defense Zion is frequently equal or superior to Sackey depending on the situation and opponent.

vu72

Quote from: Valpower on February 05, 2020, 01:20:39 PMPart of the reluctance to score and the inability to drive and dish might be that the outside threat was not taken seriously. It's difficult to space properly for it when the defense clogs the interior and dares you to shoot from the perimeter. 

My point was for Javon to drive and dish.  What happened last year was we didn't have anybody who could shoot with Ryan out. This year WITH Ryan and improved options in Clay, Robinson and Gordon, and even an improved Sackey, we can still make them guard.  Javon needs to do what he does BEST.  That's my point.

vu72

NativeCheesehead

Will be watching from my hotel room tonight. Wife says it's snowing. Please tell me we're not going to be facing the best team in the conference in front of 1,200 people tonight.

Just Sayin

Loyola is getting their butt kicked by Indiana State.