• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders at UNI, Sunday, 2/14/21, 6p CT

Started by wh, February 14, 2021, 05:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I don't want him to leave mostly because there is a good track record of players having success who have left.  Obviously Woods had the most success post transfer.  I would say Skara had success too.  Other than Woods and Skara, not much success when transferring from Valpo. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

The last thing we need is MORE player turnover... This is another no-show in a game we absolutely had to have... This is very disheartening but it's the story of the Lottich era so it's no surprise... We even had this problem under the Drews but it was much less frequent and much less pronounced... If this is just going to keep happening I hope there's a point where I just become numb and accept it as the reality... If not then can we please get good soon? I'm tired of this inconsistency...

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 14, 2021, 07:54:30 PM
The last thing we need is MORE player turnover... This is another no-show in a game we absolutely had to have... This is very disheartening but it's the story of the Lottich era so it's no surprise... We even had this problem under the Drews but it was much less frequent and much less pronounced... If this is just going to keep happening I hope there's a point where I just become numb and accept it as the reality... If not then can we please get good soon? I'm tired of this inconsistency...

I've noticed that you are either really positive or really negative after a Valpo game.  Try to live in that middle ground and not get too high or low, and these things feel better lol :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

It's like he is leaning way forward in his shot and off balanced.    You can really see it when he shots free throws.  He almost goes over the free throw line right after the release each time.

oklahomamick

Most on here said Clay has regressed.  Remember when we said Malik had a high ceiling was going to get better.  I would say he might be worse, definitely getting less minutes.  What player in Lottich's era improved over the years?  Only one I can think of is Kiser.  Maybe Micah Bradford.  But he still wasn't at the level he needed to be to compete for Valpo in the MVC.  That was another bad guard Lottich recruited. 
CRUSADERS!!!

IndyEIT777

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 14, 2021, 07:30:15 PM
Postgame question for Lottich: How many more years until we finally have a consistent product on the floor that will allow us to know what we're going to get on a regular basis? We're used to that around here nd we haven't had that under you since Peters left... I'm just wondering how much time you need to finally start making it work on a consistent basis. What's the timeline?

I think the answer is until we can retain our talented young guys and keep them as long as Peter's stayed. Had Javon been here this year, this team might be fighting for a 3 or 4 seed right now. I do hope Donovan stays cause I think he could be a really nice player the next 2 years, but Krikke and the 3 freshman are my go to guys for next year as of now. If any of those guys leave, then ML needs to get Lottich out because then it'll be too long of this cycle and not seeing results in the MVC.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: IndyEIT777 on February 14, 2021, 08:06:05 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 14, 2021, 07:30:15 PMPostgame question for Lottich: How many more years until we finally have a consistent product on the floor that will allow us to know what we're going to get on a regular basis? We're used to that around here nd we haven't had that under you since Peters left... I'm just wondering how much time you need to finally start making it work on a consistent basis. What's the timeline?
I think the answer is until we can retain our talented young guys and keep them as long as Peter's stayed. Had Javon been here this year, this team might be fighting for a 3 or 4 seed right now. I do hope Donovan stays cause I think he could be a really nice player the next 2 years, but Krikke and the 3 freshman are my go to guys for next year as of now. If any of those guys leave, then ML needs to get Lottich out because then it'll be too long of this cycle and not seeing results in the MVC.

Not going to happen... We are stuck with Lottich for better or worse... We're already hurting for cash We couldn't even pay all the scholarships if all the players wanted to stay in the best of times and we're paying for a rebrand instead of facilities upgrades. There's not a chance on this Earth Valpo is going to eat the rest of Lottich's contract (Another like 4 years maybe 3) and then shell out to hire a new coach... He needs to figure it out or we're going to be mediocre to bad for a very long time and in need of another "The Shot" to resurrect the program...

justducky

Good adjustments by Jacobson and they out defended us 3/4 of the game. We tried some interesting player combinations but our offense never really clicked. Edwards was our only player given good outside looks and our penetration to the basket yielded as many TO's as points.

Zion hit some 12-15 footers yesterday and looked like he fell in love with it, so back to the bench he went.

Certainly not a great offensive performance but a better first 30 minute defense might have taken it down to the wire!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 14, 2021, 08:01:31 PMMost on here said Clay has regressed.

He has regressed only with his shooting. To me everything else looks better but he needs some serious work and or help with his 3, particularly his baseline 3. Speaking of that baseline 3 pointer all 3 of our freshmen look comfortable from that spot. Other than that I only like Gordon and a hot McMillan taking them. I cringe when anybody else lines one up! Goodnews did hit one yesterday but I'll need a bigger sample size.

valpotx

I don't mind a split at UNI at all.  Even without AJ Green, they are a talented team, which is just trying to find their identity, similar to when we lost another NBA caliber-player to injury, Alec Peters. 

Now, if we don't sweep at SIU, it will bother me more.  They are without Domask, and I don't see enough talent around the rest of the team to worry me.  At Loyola is a loss, and at home against Indiana State will likely be a split.  Coming into this type of season, with what we lost, I would have been ecstatic to be 8-10 or 9-9, and finish in 5th or 6th.  Yes, not a lofty goal, but with the players we have on this team, and their basketball maturity at this stage, how could you expect a top 1-4 finish?

Also, for those of you who can remember and watched him play, does Goodnews' shot motion remind anyone else of Tony Falu?  Nice and smooth to a point, and then just off to the side, which gives it a strange look, but he seems to know what to do with it.

Each of you can take your weather back, as well.  I've seen some awesome memes of this 'arctic chill' in TX, but my favorite is the one that mentions, 'Hello Midwest, this is Texas.  Your drunk uncle is passed out in our backyard again.  We need you to take him home.'
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on February 14, 2021, 11:54:10 PMI don't mind a split at UNI at all.  Even without AJ Green, they are a talented team, which is just trying to find their identity, similar to when we lost another NBA caliber-player to injury, Alec Peters. Now, if we don't sweep at SIU, it will bother me more.  They are without Domask, and I don't see enough talent around the rest of the team to worry me.  At Loyola is a loss, and at home against Indiana State will likely be a split.  Coming into this type of season, with what we lost, I would have been ecstatic to be 8-10 or 9-9, and finish in 5th or 6th.  Yes, not a lofty goal, but with the players we have on this team, and their basketball maturity at this stage, how could you expect a top 1-4 finish? Also, for those of you who can remember and watched him play, does Goodnews' shot motion remind anyone else of Tony Falu?  Nice and smooth to a point, and then just off to the side, which gives it a strange look, but he seems to know what to do with it. Each of you can take your weather back, as well.  I've seen some awesome memes of this 'arctic chill' in TX, but my favorite is the one that mentions, 'Hello Midwest, this is Texas.  Your drunk uncle is passed out in our backyard again.  We need you to take him home.'

The only problem I have with the sentiment behind this post is that the exact same argument could have been made for Drake and yet somehow they made it work. If Drake can do it why haven't we been able to? What is Drake doing that we're not?

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 14, 2021, 07:43:47 PM
Clay is just not the same guy on offense nowadays

Until he is. We hope he is that same guy on offense up in Rogers Park.

usc4valpo

Drake is a better coached team with more consistency in personnel. Drake has a program that has commitment and sustainability for long term competitiveness in the Valley. I hate to say it but Cueently Valpo does not as they have to get their priorities straight.

wh

Quote from: justducky on February 14, 2021, 08:13:58 PM
Good adjustments by Jacobson and they out defended us 3/4 of the game. We tried some interesting player combinations but our offense never really clicked. Edwards was our only player given good outside looks and our penetration to the basket yielded as many TO's as points.

Zion hit some 12-15 footers yesterday and looked like he fell in love with it, so back to the bench he went.

Certainly not a great offensive performance but a better first 30 minute defense might have taken it down to the wire!

The biggest UNI defensive adjustment I noticed was using their center to aggressively hedge our guards in order to counter our pick-and-rolls at the top of the key. It stopped our guard penetration cold, and we looked clueless as to knowing how to counter it. Not once did our guard being hedged by 2 players throw over the top to our big who was left open. That adjustment alone completely disrupted the flow of our offense and caused us to waste clock while resetting the offense. One defensive adjustment, and we were paralyzed. Rest assured that future opponents will be hedging us relentlessly, beginning in 48 hours.

P.S. This criticism does not mean we have the wrong coach or are heading in the wrong direction. I'm nothing more than an armchair quarterback with perfect 20/20 hindsight. :)

M

What do we think VU needs to do to avoid Thursday?  Would winning 3/5 be enough?

NativeCheesehead

The most likely scenario to avoid Thursday is another quarantine.

IndyEIT777

Quote from: M on February 15, 2021, 06:02:30 PM
What do we think VU needs to do to avoid Thursday?  Would winning 3/5 be enough?

I think 3 out of 5 to finish would almost certainly get us out of Thursday. On our end, assuming we don't pull off the upset of all upsets Wednesday, we'll need to either sweep SIU on the road or sweep Indiana State at home. Definitely sweeping SIU on the road seems like the more likely scenario.

UNI has 3 games left, one at home vs. Drake and 2 at Illinois State so they might only win one more game.

Bradley has 3 home games left, 1 against Illinois State and 2 against Drake so they will probably finish with 7 wins at best.

Evansville is interesting because they have 6 wins with 5 games left, but those are one at Indiana State, two at Drake, and two home vs. Missouri State. I don't see them losing all five but they have by far the toughest schedule remaining of the teams I've mentioned.

I'm going to assume SIU and Illinois State are Thursday teams. So if we can win 3 out of 5, I think we're either the 5 or 6 seed.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 15, 2021, 01:34:52 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 14, 2021, 11:54:10 PMI don't mind a split at UNI at all.  Even without AJ Green, they are a talented team, which is just trying to find their identity, similar to when we lost another NBA caliber-player to injury, Alec Peters. Now, if we don't sweep at SIU, it will bother me more.  They are without Domask, and I don't see enough talent around the rest of the team to worry me.  At Loyola is a loss, and at home against Indiana State will likely be a split.  Coming into this type of season, with what we lost, I would have been ecstatic to be 8-10 or 9-9, and finish in 5th or 6th.  Yes, not a lofty goal, but with the players we have on this team, and their basketball maturity at this stage, how could you expect a top 1-4 finish? Also, for those of you who can remember and watched him play, does Goodnews' shot motion remind anyone else of Tony Falu?  Nice and smooth to a point, and then just off to the side, which gives it a strange look, but he seems to know what to do with it. Each of you can take your weather back, as well.  I've seen some awesome memes of this 'arctic chill' in TX, but my favorite is the one that mentions, 'Hello Midwest, this is Texas.  Your drunk uncle is passed out in our backyard again.  We need you to take him home.'

The only problem I have with the sentiment behind this post is that the exact same argument could have been made for Drake and yet somehow they made it work. If Drake can do it why haven't we been able to? What is Drake doing that we're not?

Drake went into the season knowing that Robbins would not be returning, but still had the bulk of their team returning.  They are heavy on Juniors and Seniors, while we are heavy on Freshmen and Sophomores.  We lost far more than just our star player.  Even with JFL, I would have predicted a 4 or 5 seed.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 15, 2021, 06:17:02 PMThe most likely scenario to avoid Thursday is another quarantine.
::)

Quote from: M on February 15, 2021, 06:02:30 PMWhat do we think VU needs to do to avoid Thursday? 

We seem to match up better with Drake than Loyola or MSU so whatever path takes us there is good enough for me. If that means a Thursday 7-10 is the best route then so be it. Last year the confidence building head of steam built in the opening round carried us to the championship game. I can at least imagine similar results this year too.