• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders at UNI, Sat., 02/13/21, 7p CT

Started by wh, February 13, 2021, 06:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

The Crusaders are 7 point underdogs in this one. Seems too high to me. Look for the Crusaders to win this one straight up.

Go Crusaders! Keep building!

oklahomamick

I agree with WH, crusaders shouldn't be 7 point dogs. 

Also here is a comparison between the two point guards tonight. 

Sackey averages more assist and less tu rivers than the enemy guard. 

Hope I didn't offend anyone by calling our competition an enemy. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Thanks to wh for opening this game thread! It takes a brave man to open game threads for a team as erratic and unpredictable as this one.

One way or another I think we get a split but I have no idea how we will do it.   
AND          GO Crusaders!

oklahomamick

Over/under 7

The amount of times the announcers call us Crusaders
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Haha, one of the Fox Sports announcers already almost said Crusaders, but caught himself at the last moment.  Gooooo Crusaders!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Wow, Mileek in the starting lineup.  He has been doing better, and I hope the same continues
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We have to win, when Krikke hits a 3, and Sackey makes a layup, correct?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I know that a lot of folks have traditionally not been big on Morgan, but the dude plays his heart out.  He has an absolutely terrible-looking shot, but he has found his game, and he pressures really well on defense.  He is definitely not a Kiser-like glue guy, but he has become our steady pace in some of these key wins, making sure that he drives the lane, doesn't traditionally commit turnovers (2 travels today, however), and rebounds.
"Don't mess with Texas"

may know

oklahomamick

How did I not put last month's pay check on this game? 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Crusaders are playing pissed like someone stole their mascot. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Come on, Eron.  Just let him take that shot...
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

valporun

We just have to keep the pace going, and put pedal to the metal!

covufan

Can we play a full 40 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

Yeah, that free 3 points Eron gave them at the end better not come back and cost me money
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Crusaders won't lose very many games when shooting 50% from 3 point line. 
CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

Nice win. They looked as good tonight as they looked bad last game as they looked good the game before that. Talk about a roller coaster.

hailcrusaders

#CrusadersForever

valpotx

Nice spacing and hustle throughout.  The shooting was a bonus, but if we play with the same intensity tomorrow, I don't care if we lose.  I just hate watching us when there is no movement off the ball, and guys not chasing after the ball on defense.  This team was a joy to watch today, and show how much potential we have, if the core remains together.  Another bonus is that we are now 1-14 at UNI!

Crusaders for the win!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

We are seeing what happens to a young, developing team...look terrific one night, terrible the  next, good  shooting, then you can't hit the broad side of a barn.  I like the experience we are getting from a variety of players.  What happened to Barrett?  Hurt?

VUGrad1314

Yes Barrett is hurt. Can't remember the severity of the injury though.

I'm really happy for this win! It's the first time we've ever won in Cedar Falls! Yet it continues to underscore how maddeningly inconsistent we are this year.

Ups:

Beat top 25 Drake team handing them their first loss

First win in Cedar Falls

Terrific gut check win in Double OT over Bradley

Swept Illinois State

Close against Vandy and Purdue (if moral victories are your thing)

Downs:

Blasted by Bradley in the rematch

Not competitive against Missouri State

Swept by Evansville

Blew the front end of the Drake series

Only one D1 non con win

Should have beaten Purdue and Vandy

As nice as it is to see the young talent coming together (and it is very nice I hope they all stay together because this team could be good next year) It's very frustrating and disconcerting that I don't know on any given night if we're about to win by 20 or lose by 20. I hope to see more consistently good play down the stretch and a lot of it next season! 

From a macro prospective it feels like Valpo Evansville and Illinois State are getting better Missouri State and Indiana State are becoming more consistent and teams like UNI and SIU are gaining a lot of experience to players who wouldn't otherwise get it because of injuries. There could be a silver lining in all of that next year especially for a team like UNI who has been forced to learn how to play without A.J. Green. When he comes back to lead them with the experience they've gained this year they could be very good and actually be able to win more consistently because they don't have to rely on Green going God mode. Next year could be a really good year for the Valley if things go back to normal. If we can also get Murray State and Belmont thanks to the realignment events that's even better assuming the rest of the league stays together! Right now though I'm focused on the (admittedly fading) two bid dream Valpo's growth and hoping whoever we send to the tournament does well! We've got a couple of really good teams in this league that could be a real problem for teams come March and we are blessed to be able to play with these programs even if the resulting increased frequency of losses is frustrating for me as a fan. It's still rewarding to play alongside these MVC schools. 

justducky

Eron played almost 30 min and did not take a shot, not even a free throw. I can't remember him passing up any open looks because I don't think he had many.

Did Mileek actually play good defense with no fouls or was I hallucinating?

oklahomamick

I didn't realized that Valpo and Northern Iowa were conference foes in the AMCU.  This dates back to 1982. 

CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

My, have times changed, when Cleveland State was once considered for the A-10 lol.

Relating to Zion Morgan, did anyone else notice that his mid-range jump shot at the FT line, is a lot smoother than elsewhere?  It looks like he holds the ball above his head a little bit lower, than other shots I remember him taking. 
"Don't mess with Texas"