• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Redshirting

Started by wh, April 26, 2021, 06:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

If first time transfers no longer have to sit out a year (i.e., redshirt), doesn't that eliminate the potential risk of redshirting as a freshman and losing a year of eligibility down the line? And, if that's the case, might redshirting freshmen become the next big thing in college basketball, especially given that rosters are going to be bloated with veteran players?

Just throwing the idea out there, wondering what others are thinking about it.

vuny98

Quote from: wh on April 26, 2021, 06:08:18 AMIf first time transfers no longer have to sit out a year (i.e., redshirt), doesn't that eliminate the potential risk of redshirting as a freshman and losing a year of eligibility down the line? And, if that's the case, might redshirting freshmen become the next big thing in college basketball, especially given that rosters are going to be bloated with veteran players? Just throwing the idea out there, wondering what others are thinking about it.
From a players perspective, I could see more wanting to redshirt vs playing a few minutes here and there at the end of a game so they can save that year of eligibility.

The flip side however is that in this climate, knowing you are more likely to lose players to transfers, Schools/coaches have less incentive to sit a player and redshirt them. In the past you may have a guy like Emil and said, hes not ready to contribute but he could be in a few years, so even though we could use that big body in a few games when we played against a team with a big center or the starters were in foul trouble, the long term goal for him says he needs to redshirt. Now you would say, I need him in this game for 5 mins or that game for 2 mins, I am going to play him because there's a good chance he may leave regardless, so I am not saving that extra year of eligibility just for some other team to use, when I need his minutes now.

M

I'm almost to the point where I wouldn't bother offering any freshman. Recruit them, build relationships with them, then go grab them when they're ready transfer after their first or second years. I'm all for player choice and giving the players some power, but as a fan the transfer portal is something I very much have come to dislike.

crusader05

I feel like there's been almost too far a swing towards assuming people will transfer and there's nothing we can do. Some of it is recruiting, some of it is promising player development and some of it is team building. You're always gonna lose some but I really really hope we don't fall into a place that accepts 7 transfers a  year as normal.

I also tend to think the transfer portal option is not going to be as appealing in the next two years as all the extra eligibility years start shaking out more.

bb33

I think players will try to find a place they can play immediately, gain experience and then transfer, especially now that they will be immediately eligible.  These kids have no patience, and have a NOW mentality.  That is a complete stereotype, I know, and there are exceptions.   The ones who are willing to wait are typically those who have a dream of playing at a particular school.  This new rule will change everything, and as fans we have to adjust our expectations.  Everyone will figure out how to best use this new scenario to their advantage, and I have a feeling this will drastically change the way teams recruit.