• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Higdon Resigns

Started by vuweathernerd, April 13, 2011, 07:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/173/10713/

Hopefully we can find somebody as committed to the continued development of the program as he was to creating it.

okinawatyphoon

He was the golf coach, in case anyone was not aware. This seems very sudden.....hopefully it was for the right reasons!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

agibson

We're still in golf season!  He has another position lined up, so the departure apparently wasn't _that_ sudden.  But, it seems like an odd time to announce his resignation.  It would seem much more natural to wait a few weeks...

Seems like a blow for a young program.  But, maybe it leads to better things.

rlh

I heard a couple of weeks ago that he was leaving Aberdeen, or had left already, so I guess this isn't as big a surprise as it could have been.  He seemed to have done a good job restarting the program and got some pretty good local kids to play for him, so I hope this isn't a set back for the program.

covufan

Quote from: agibson on April 14, 2011, 03:16:34 AM
We're still in golf season!  He has another position lined up, so the departure apparently wasn't _that_ sudden.  But, it seems like an odd time to announce his resignation.  It would seem much more natural to wait a few weeks...

Seems like a blow for a young program.  But, maybe it leads to better things.

Does seem odd.  Maybe he wants to be in Minnesota, or has a strong desire for teaching the game to a younger audience.  Not sure why it couldn't be effective after the season was over?

KL31NY

I'm sure he would have waited if it were an option because it is an awkward time to leave. If he needed to take that job in Minnesota immediately or lose the spot if he waited, then this was the sacrifice he had to make.

Regardless, best of wishes to Mike! I got to know him a little bit after talking to him during parts of last year. Great person to know and a good teacher!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpo95

For those who don't know, Shattuck-St. Marys is a top notch prep school.  They have high academic standards and also perform very well in athletics.  In particular, both their boys and girls hockey teams have won several national championships.  Some of their hockey alumni include Sidney Crosby and Zach Parise, as well as many other current NHL players.

This is likely a promotion for Coach Higdon -- certainly a good opportunity.

chairback

Aberdeen has a new management company running the course.  They did not keep Higdon as manager and replaced him.

I'm eager to see what changes the new mgmt company makes as Aberdeen has taken a few steps backwards the last couple of years.  However most courses in this economy have.