• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rodeghero Announces Retirement

Started by hckjag, May 01, 2011, 12:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hckjag

http://jolietslammers.com/archives/1481

Former Valparaiso star walks away from the game on his own accord

(Joliet, IL) – When most athletes retire, it's because they've run out of options and can't play the game anymore.

That's not the case with Zach Rodeghero. The Slammers utility player is taking a job as an IT sales representative for Leadership Team Development.

"Now I'm getting older, bills are creeping up on me, car payments, health insurance, all that good stuff," Rodeghero said. "I really had to sit and think about it, but not a lot of people get the chance to do it this way."

Rodeghero, 25, is looking forward to taking the skills he developed as an athlete into the real world of business.

"Being in sales and IT, you're working with a group of people to better your clients," Rodeghero said. "You want to see them grow with your products and your abilities."

The Valparaiso graduate is still going to be one of the Slammers' biggest fans. Being from the area, he's been a key part of the team's marketing campaign as they try to establish themselves in the Joliet community.

The transition is made easier by the fact his new employers are big sports fans. Rodeghero jokes they want him to pitch and hit for the company baseball team. The job has lots of room for advancement and for now he will remain in the area and attend Slammers games as a fan when he can.

"Zach will always be part of our family," Slammers president Bill Waliewski said. "We really appreciate all he's done with us even without playing a game and we wish him the best."

The Slammers begin play in their inaugural season on Thursday, May 19th, 2011 against the Washington Wild Things. For tickets, please call (815)722-BATS (2287).

valpotx

One of the nicest guys I ever played with.  I definitely wish him luck
"Don't mess with Texas"