• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018 spring game

Started by valpofb16, April 22, 2018, 12:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Spring game was a success, a lot of notable players did not play Seewald, Rene, Roberts, Brimmage, Studyvin, Snouffer, Diaz-Martinez

QB play was solid Duncan really was best of the bunch

RB Cartales, Early, Boxrucker split reps with Haugh having a nice run

WR Norberg looked great but was shutdown early, Markoff and Gessinger played really well

Defense Skarecky, Poloskey, Velasco, Duncan, Twigg, Trumpower, Campbell, Turner, Leandre really stood out

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 22, 2018, 12:30:12 PM
Spring game was a success, a lot of notable players did not play Seewald, Rene, Roberts, Brimmage, Studyvin, Snouffer, Diaz-Martinez

QB play was solid Duncan really was best of the bunch

RB Cartales, Early, Boxrucker split reps with Haugh having a nice run

WR Norberg looked great but was shutdown early, Markoff and Gessinger played really well

Defense Skarecky, Poloskey, Velasco, Duncan, Twigg, Trumpower, Campbell, Turner, Leandre really stood out

Did VU graduate/lose any talent that was noteworthy from last years team?  How do y'all expect them to fair this coming season?

JD24

Concerning: Lost two most productive WRs from last season including one who was productive for multiple seasons. Who will step up?

Norberg is a possibility. Rene can play but he's got some long term issues healthwise. Where were/are PFox and JD? Markoff may be fast and he may be able to catch the ball if it gets to him. Gessinger's a sprinter. That's not what keeps WRs on the field. Precise routes and correct blocking assignments play a lot into being on the field. Dave alluded to this in his comments.

The team as a whole will probably move forward from last season but this position group is a concern at the moment until it is proven to not be a concern. 

VULB#62

Here's the post spring game video.  Two nice catches by Markoff in the action segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijTWlN6pZHs

valpofb16

JD24 those are all good points

Fox had labrum surgery and Rene had hip surgery, both could be ready to go in fall

Norberg looks really good and played starter snaps last year, Koehler played but was done early and didn't stand out.

If I had to guess Markoff, Larose, Gessinger will all see playing time, neither Beer nor Stablein stood out

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 23, 2018, 02:34:17 PMJD24 those are all good points Fox had labrum surgery and Rene had hip surgery, both could be ready to go in fall Norberg looks really good and played starter snaps last year, Koehler played but was done early and didn't stand out. If I had to guess Markoff, Larose, Gessinger will all see playing time, neither Beer nor Stablein stood out

One concern with the group is...is there a WR who can deal with being specifically gameplanned for. IOW the opposition decides they must stop you because you caught 6 passes last week and now you can't get off the LOS because my best guy has got you blanketed. Catrine could do that and Navarro benefited from that but I'm not sure there's a guy on the roster who we know definitively can handle that level of focus.

VULB#62

Norberg?  Isn't he supposed to be the heir apparent to Catrine?  What would be ideal is if Jimmy has matured to the point where he consistently spreads the ball around game after game and neutralizes the game planning -- who do you double cover or man-up under those circumstances.  But you're right about a number of questions that need to resolve themselves by Duquesne.  Unknown right now is if any freshmen have the ability to step right in like Nararro did last season.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 24, 2018, 03:36:21 PMNorberg?  Isn't he supposed to be the heir apparent to Catrine?  What would be ideal is if Jimmy has matured to the point where he consistently spreads the ball around game after game and neutralizes the game planning -- who do you double cover or man-up under those circumstances.  But you're right about a number of questions that need to resolve themselves by Duquesne.  Unknown right now is if any freshmen have the ability to step right in like Nararro did last season.

The offense did a much better job spreading the ball around last year but they had the horses to do so.

Becoming the go to guy is easier said than done. The last two guys who had that role handled it in a different way. Kuramata was so quick that he was always open. Catrine was seemingly never open but if the QB got the ball near him, he'd come down with it. Norberg hasn't demonstrated either of those abilities. He hasn't demonstrated the hands of Frank or the quickness of Tanner. He's also always been "hidden" in the patterns with less of a defensive focus. Who plays in the slot will also be key. Navarro and Rene put up some numbers out of two slots which aren't on the field as much as the outside guys are. So they need to be reliable. Rene will hopefully be healthy but I'm not sure I see another really solid slot guy. Gessinger can run certain routes streaking down the field but I'm not sure how effective he'll be working the middle of the field. Fox can handle the other outside position. Everyone else is a question mark.

It may all work out and, as you say, maybe there's a freshman who can step right in but it remains a concern with me.

VULB#62

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 25, 2018, 03:34:34 PMLarose?

He could be. I think he's one of the question marks at this point until he's not. The couple of throws to him last year were slants IIRC. Didn't really tell a lot.

Understand I'm looking for the 3rd and 8-12yds to go and both teams and the crowd knows where the ball is going guy.

valpofb16

After spring this is the depth moving forward

QB: JR Seewald / RSSO Duncan / RSFR Bilinski / RSJR Mullen

RB: JR Cartales / JR Boxrucker/ RSJR Early / RSFR Haugh/ SO Tamir

FB: RSSO Martin

TE: SR Sutter / RSFR Kluck/ RSFR Bitter/ RSFR Locke

WR: SR Norberg / RSJR Koehler/ SO Larose/ RSFR Weinzimmer

WR: RSJR Fox / SO Brimmage / RSFR Markoff / RSFR Stablein

SL: SR Rene / JR Gessinger / RSFR Beer

LT: RSJR Lundberg / RSJR Cotton / RSSO Biggs

LG: SR Rentschler / SO Vas/ RSJR Helander

C: RSJR Jarnigan / RSJR Sullivan

RG: SR Schofield / RSSO Kamara/ RSJR Horan

RT: RSJR Roberts / SR Taliaferro/ RSSO Zajac/ RSFR Walsh

NT: JR Reed / SO Gedrys/ RSFR Velasco/ RSFR Mason

DT : RSSO Goebel / RSJR Studyvin
SO Olojo

DE: RSJR Trumpower / SO Orlandini / RSSO Osmond/ SO Germain

OLB: JR Petrie / SO Poloskey/ RSFR VanSetters

ILB: SR Snouffer / SO Skarecky/ RSSO Sperling

ILB: SR Turner / RSJR Messler/ SO Twigg

OLB: SR Wheeler / SR Baldwin/ RSFR Bishop

CB: SO Kelly / SR Cambell/ RSFR Shannon

S: SR Diaz / RSJR Lane/ RSFR Leach

S: JR Booker / SO Duncan/ SO Hebda

CB: SR LeAndre / SO Hebda/ RSFR Shannon

May be off a player or two but I think I'm this is by far and away the most talented roster valpo has had in decades

Don't think many freshman will play this fall aside from special teams

VULB#62

Looks about right.

Don't know if it is the best in decades, but I hope it is fomidable

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 25, 2018, 06:06:27 PMI think I'm this is by far and away the most talented roster valpo has had in decades Don't think many freshman will play this fall aside from special teams

I'm in agreement here. I think this is 75 players. With something like 32-33 signees, it will be interesting to see if they limit 2018 camp a bit. I think Dave has been quoted as saying he likes around 90-95 at most which would mean 10-12 non invitees from amongst the incoming freshmen and back of the depth chart. Overall I agree that there really is a lot less room for a freshman to jump into the mix at any position. WR a possible exception...it always seems to me that injuries occur where you can least afford it...and maybe TE from a depth standpoint. I think the front 7 defensively will be outstanding.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 25, 2018, 06:06:27 PM
After spring this is the depth moving forward

QB: JR Seewald / RSSO Duncan / RSFR Bilinski / RSJR Mullen

RB: JR Cartales / JR Boxrucker/ RSJR Early / RSFR Haugh/ SO Tamir

FB: RSSO Martin

TE: SR Sutter / RSFR Kluck/ RSFR Bitter/ RSFR Locke

WR: SR Norberg / RSJR Koehler/ SO Larose/ RSFR Weinzimmer

WR: RSJR Fox / SO Brimmage / RSFR Markoff / RSFR Stablein

SL: SR Rene / JR Gessinger / RSFR Beer

LT: RSJR Lundberg / RSJR Cotton / RSSO Biggs

LG: SR Rentschler / SO Vas/ RSJR Helander

C: RSJR Jarnigan / RSJR Sullivan

RG: SR Schofield / RSSO Kamara/ RSJR Horan

RT: RSJR Roberts / SR Taliaferro/ RSSO Zajac/ RSFR Walsh

NT: JR Reed / SO Gedrys/ RSFR Velasco/ RSFR Mason

DT : RSSO Goebel / RSJR Studyvin
SO Olojo

DE: RSJR Trumpower / SO Orlandini / RSSO Osmond/ SO Germain

OLB: JR Petrie / SO Poloskey/ RSFR VanSetters

ILB: SR Snouffer / SO Skarecky/ RSSO Sperling

ILB: SR Turner / RSJR Messler/ SO Twigg

OLB: SR Wheeler / SR Baldwin/ RSFR Bishop

CB: SO Kelly / SR Cambell/ RSFR Shannon

S: SR Diaz / RSJR Lane/ RSFR Leach

S: JR Booker / SO Duncan/ SO Hebda

CB: SR LeAndre / SO Hebda/ RSFR Shannon

May be off a player or two but I think I'm this is by far and away the most talented roster valpo has had in decades

Don't think many freshman will play this fall aside from special teams

Thank you for keeping us updated, it is hard to follow from afar. A couple of guys I have not seen as leaving and not on the depth chart.....Ron Williams, Stacy Jones, Jake Iery and Humza Ruzzek.
Also who are Tamir and Locke. I have never seen them on the roster.

JD24

https://twitter.com/valpoufootball/status/989311991243264001

......and Stacy Jones was given birthday wishes last week as well. So he's still around.

valpofb16

Jones is on team boundary corner probably 2-3 teamer for next season

bbtds

Quote from: valpofb16 on May 01, 2018, 11:49:30 AM
Jones is on team boundary corner probably 2-3 teamer for next season

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on May 01, 2018, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on May 01, 2018, 11:49:30 AMJones is on team boundary corner probably 2-3 teamer for next season

:lol:

Jones is still on the team. He is a boundary corner (outside corner not inside in nickel or dime packages) and is probably 2nd or 3rd team.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on May 01, 2018, 09:31:00 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 01, 2018, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on May 01, 2018, 11:49:30 AMJones is on team boundary corner probably 2-3 teamer for next season

:lol:

Jones is still on the team. He is a boundary corner (outside corner not inside in nickel or dime packages) and is probably 2nd or 3rd team.

Vielen Dank für die Übersetzung

Many thanks for the traqnslation.