• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Football Schedule

Started by valpofb16, March 15, 2019, 03:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

let's look at Valpo football history. I think people are drinking too much Crusader koolaid (not Brown and Gold for obvious reasons) if they think a .500 is ahead.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 28, 2019, 09:42:56 PM
We definitely will need beer and maybe harder stuff to make it through this season...

I was thinking the very same thing. Perfect name for a Valpo athlete.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 29, 2019, 06:40:51 AMPeople complaining about the upcoming season remember this. Carlson year two 57 recruits Cecchini year two 55 recruits Players building connections with coaches at non scholarship schools is essential, if they don't fit new scheme or don't care for the new coach nothing is binding them to the school. So far Fox has, reached out to alumni, provided new jerseys, filled an entire staff after signing day before spring, added 15 recruits after signing day. Hired and S&C coach. So far that is an A+ in my book. His defense is proven and that's where the experience on this roster is. I would not be shocked at all to see .500 football. (BTW Cecchinis offense expertise led the team to exactly last place in PFL offense in year 5, are we entirely sure we lost a great one?)
I was never the biggest Cecchini fan. The guy he followed made him seem better than he was imho. The "at least he's not Carlson" defense never worked with me.  Not a fan of his staff's recruiting and an argument can be made that Carlson left him more talent than he ultimate recruited and retained. The poster who mentioned Miran being gone as a positive is likely spot on.

No issues with Coach Fox. It's just tough the first year and I'm pretty concerned about the offense even if the defense improves. Can they play .500? I think that's at the very high end of expectations. They hopefully are 2-2 going into league play and Morehead State is the only team I'm comfortable is a win at the moment. That doesn't mean they can't win other games, just that the other teams I'd put as a toss up at best (Stetson, Marist, Davidson and Butler) to not much of a chance (Drake, SD and Dayton).

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on July 29, 2019, 05:03:31 PMI was never the biggest Cecchini fan.

All that I know is that his teams beat Butler 3 of his 5 tries, and the Hoosier Helmet resides on Union Street.   :clap: :dance: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

2014: William Jewell (#467), MO Baptist (#875), Butler (#476) , Davidson (#638) Final Rank: #498
2015: College of Faith Ark (#843), Davidson (#579) Final Rank: #594
2016: Trinity Intl (#631), Davidson (#555), Stetson (#403), Jacksonville (#349) Final Rank: #412
2017: Trinity Intl (#743), Stetson (#528), Marist (#456), Morehead St. (#504), Butler (#351), Dayton (#356) Final Rank: #368
2018: Butler (#335) , Jacksonville (#398) Overall Rank: #377

Valpo may have been 2-9 last year but there schedule was brutal. Outside of YSU and first three conference games this team at the very minimum should compete. The PFL as a whole has moved up competition wise and I actually believe Valpo was ahead of the curve in 2017. People saying there is no way this team can compete are ridiculous. Very simply put.

QB: All Conf Player if Seewald is healthy, Duncan has a year starting if Seewald is not, nice prospect in Nimz
RB: Three, 4 year contributing seniors, nice prospect in Allison
TE: Bittner and Kluck are fine options, Martin a nice H-back
OL: Two 4 year starters, Vas rotated in as a freshman in 2017, Byrd and Russell are nice prospects
WR: Weaker here but still Bingham, Lopez, a healthy Larose, Koehler isn't exactly awful, Gessinger excellent return man (should have been preseason all conf)
DL: Reed 4 yr Starter, Gedrys, Goebel, Orlandini, Sete all have been contributors, add in Twigg, Purty, Martins
LB: Messler, Turner should be a high level pairing, all-conf potential, Psota, Peifernice prospects here
CRU: Petrie same here, btw Poloskey, Skarecky both experienced back ups
S: Booker all-conf, Scarsella may be best prospect on roster
CB: 3 yr Starter LeAndre, Sherman a nice prospect, Hebda, Kelly both have starting experience
P: Portland States's punter last season
K: 4 year starter Latsonas

That is a competitive non 2-9 PFL team. .500 is my prediction

usc4valpo

Cecchini did an excellent job given the limited talent and resources. His work paid off in a promotion.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 30, 2019, 09:17:58 AM2014: William Jewell (#467), MO Baptist (#875), Butler (#476) , Davidson (#638) Final Rank: #498 2015: College of Faith Ark (#843), Davidson (#579) Final Rank: #594 2016: Trinity Intl (#631), Davidson (#555), Stetson (#403), Jacksonville (#349) Final Rank: #412 2017: Trinity Intl (#743), Stetson (#528), Marist (#456), Morehead St. (#504), Butler (#351), Dayton (#356) Final Rank: #368 2018: Butler (#335) , Jacksonville (#398) Overall Rank: #377 Valpo may have been 2-9 last year but there schedule was brutal. Outside of YSU and first three conference games this team at the very minimum should compete. The PFL as a whole has moved up competition wise and I actually believe Valpo was ahead of the curve in 2017. People saying there is no way this team can compete are ridiculous. Very simply put. QB: All Conf Player if Seewald is healthy, Duncan has a year starting if Seewald is not, nice prospect in Nimz RB: Three, 4 year contributing seniors, nice prospect in Allison TE: Bittner and Kluck are fine options, Martin a nice H-back OL: Two 4 year starters, Vas rotated in as a freshman in 2017, Byrd and Russell are nice prospects WR: Weaker here but still Bingham, Lopez, a healthy Larose, Koehler isn't exactly awful, Gessinger excellent return man (should have been preseason all conf) DL: Reed 4 yr Starter, Gedrys, Goebel, Orlandini, Sete all have been contributors, add in Twigg, Purty, Martins LB: Messler, Turner should be a high level pairing, all-conf potential, Psota, Peifernice prospects here CRU: Petrie same here, btw Poloskey, Skarecky both experienced back ups S: Booker all-conf, Scarsella may be best prospect on roster CB: 3 yr Starter LeAndre, Sherman a nice prospect, Hebda, Kelly both have starting experience P: Portland States's punter last season K: 4 year starter Latsonas That is a competitive non 2-9 PFL team. .500 is my prediction
Appreciate the optimism however a lot of this is best case scenario.

Is Latsonas here for the full season? Wasn't he transferring after only kicking for 4 games so he would be eligible next year or something such as that?

usc4valpo

Fb16 - what does it mean when a prospect is "nice"? We all strive to be nice and love each other, but does that imply success?

valpofb16

Roster Addition: Stephen Albright WR Penn Manor PA, 6'2 185

Highlight reel looks good, team went 1-9

usc4valpo

A great highlight reel on a 1-9 team, ok

JD24

A good player can come from a bad team.

In this case, he looks like he can run a bit however he appears to have slow feet. Getting in and out of breaks at the next level may prove difficult for him.