• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021 Volleyball

Started by valpotx, February 13, 2021, 11:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

It appears Cookerly will wind up with 3,175 digs, one short of the record 3,176, as she is a victim of efficiency since all five tournament matches were decided in the minimum three sets!  :(

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on December 12, 2021, 08:42:19 PMNo idea how the official missed such a thing, as it was basically a lacrosse throw with her arm.

In the replay it was still a very difficult reveiw call and I don't think it was reviewable. In every game I watched the refs did great jobs. A better team beat us.

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on December 12, 2021, 08:53:31 PM
It appears Cookerly will wind up with 3,175 digs, one short of the record 3,176, as she is a victim of efficiency since all five tournament matches were decided in the minimum three sets!  :(

Quite some distance between #1 & #2 with #3, so she will probably stay there for a very long time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: justducky on December 12, 2021, 09:01:17 PM
Quote from: valpotx on December 12, 2021, 08:42:19 PMNo idea how the official missed such a thing, as it was basically a lacrosse throw with her arm.

In the replay it was still a very difficult reveiw call and I don't think it was reviewable. In every game I watched the refs did great jobs. A better team beat us.

I am sure that you are aware, but you can't half throw the ball in volleyball.  She pushed and held onto it for too long, essentially dunking the ball.  Regardless, I am not questioning the result, but rather what I viewed as a key moment in the match.  The crowd seemed a bit down after that point.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Quote from: valpotx on December 12, 2021, 08:42:19 PM
Great season, and unfortunate end, losing 3-0.  To me, the key point in the match was in set 1, when their 6'2" player (Freeman) basically threw the ball over the net for a point, and you apparently can't challenge such a play in volleyball.  That put UNLV in the lead 16-15 (?), and seemed to suck the air out of the set for Valpo.  No idea how the official missed such a thing, as it was basically a lacrosse throw with her arm.  Cookerly finishes 1 dig shy of the NCAA record, I believe.  UNLV had several big hitters, so it was going to be tough, regardless.  Towards the beginning of the match, the announcers said that there were 2,200+ fans in attendance. 

Great job, ladies!

The student turnout was fantastic! Entire student section jam packed - plus I think there were some more students in the chairbacks near the student section.

Fully agree with the comment on the "throw".

Great job by the ladies' team! They represented the university well.

valpo tundra

Unfortunately, the better team did win tonight. Agree with both the bad throw call but also overall good refereeing for the tournament. What a heartbreaker for Rylee Cookerly. Maybe we could have an intern review every game over her career to see if she could pick up one or two more digs? Aside from the absolutely jam packed (what pandemic?) student section, there were indeed another 75-100 students standing the entire match on the west side of the bleacher section. A UNLV parent told me they watched the student section on TV against UCONN and were so happy to see that again in person.  They apparently don't draw very well themselves and the only other crowd that rivalled ours all season was BYU. President Padilla was at every game and has to be impressed with the potential for athletics. Congrats to the ladies!

valpotx

I was thinking the same thing about President Padilla.  It shows that if our programs win, people will come to the games.  The more successful you are in athletics, the more applications that you receive...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

For all those here who lament the lack of sports interest from the student body, all you needed to see was the atmosphere at the ARC last night.  A Sunday night, the night before final exams and the place was packed with students.  That should tell everyone that the issue isn't a lack of student support, it's a lack of student support for bad teams. Win and they will come. Posting videos of previous years and the student interest is only part of the answer.  The missing part is the wins those teams put together.

Great job by our Volleyball team.  A great season. Now, how about the men's and women's basketball teams providing something to cheer about!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

It didn't go the way we all wanted but I am just so so so immeasurably proud of this team! Ladies you represented the university and the MVC wonderfully and have no reason whatsoever to hang your heads! You put together a great season that we will all remember fondly for a long time. Thank you and congratulations once again! This is perhaps the biggest step the athletic department has made in showing that it belongs in the MVC and we have you to thank for that. I would say that in volleyball and women's soccer we are certainly there already. The other sports still need some work but thanks to this season in these two sports there is legitimate hope for the future of Valpo athletics! Thank you!

NotBryceDrew

Are there not post season awards for Volleyball? The season has been over for quite awhile and I don't think I've seen anything pop up.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Haley Hart grad transfers to Jacksonville.

valpotx

Jacksonville University?  I have to think it is completely degree-related, as they were 4-24 last season...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

I haven't seen any notice yet on the board that Carin Avery has received a well deserved multi-year contract extension. This program is in good hands and has maintained its high quality throughout Avery's twenty years as coach. She has always managed her teams with expertise and recruited well. Knowing a number of the players over the years, I have been impressed by the character and academic abilities of Avery's recruits as well.

valpotx

Yep, a very well-deserved extension.  Always top notch recruits and very competitive in a top Volleyball conference
"Don't mess with Texas"