• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

08/12 Scrimmage

Started by valpofb16, August 12, 2023, 08:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Was able to watch the scrimmage and just some things I noticed.

QB- Appel was there , healthy, and getting the ball out quick with his huge arm. Jackson was the 2nd QB on "Varsity" side. Caron Tyler busted about a 60 yard run and great arm strength in the team portion.

RB- No Labus, No Butler. Mann ran the ball tough, Lane busted about a 30 yard TD run. Thomas showed speed, Shrader had a great jump cut in team period

WR- Tezzo was only one of the shiny new transfers to play. No Locke, Davis, or Yeats either. Allowed for Mackay to have a really big day against the one defense. Bennett McCormick, Peterson, Barthel appeared to join Mackay/ Tezzo with lions share of snaps

TE- lots of Vickers / Jernegan / Hooper was third right in. Jones (Lincoln) / York (UAB) did not scrimmage

OL- Mason Smith looks like he added quite a bit of weight. Smith / Paic / Eberhart / Woody/ Gray look like the group. Pauley , Kline , Ojaide, Szczepanski , Kotoles also saw time.

DL-Was a dominant group. (Chastain) did not play.

LB- played fast , was primarily Pouba , Annis, Abrams, Birmingham and Nabers out there.

DB-  Looked great with only one play all day over the top.

If I missed anything or anyone my apologies. The amount of offensive skill sitting out was definitely notable.

FBFan22

Biggest question to this point has been the O-Line.  After watching the scrimmage yesterday, I feel much better about this group.  The first unit is starting to gel behind Coach Prevost's leadership.  If they can stay healthy it's going to be a fun offense to watch.   

I'm cautiously optimistic...

valpofb16

I agree offensive line much improved from spring. Appel also was very quick in his decision making. Mann is a type of RB that works for a young line, downhill now.

The concern now shifts to the skill position. Not sure if Fox was trying to keep some guys off film or if the positions are truly that banged up

Will just need to see. Hoping for a competitive game against YSU.

NotBryceDrew

Great update fb16, hoping for a very competitive season

David81

So that's Jeffrey Jackson as the backup QB again, yes? If so, maybe it says something good about the program that he returns  for another year, knowing he's not going to start unless Appel gets dinged.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 13, 2023, 07:57:09 AM
I agree offensive line much improved from spring. Appel also was very quick in his decision making. Mann is a type of RB that works for a young line, downhill now.

The concern now shifts to the skill position. Not sure if Fox was trying to keep some guys off film or if the positions are truly that banged up

Will just need to see. Hoping for a competitive game against YSU.

16,  why is off film an issue?  Yikes,  in today's world of college football are even scrimmages shared with opponents????  If so, that's crazy.

Gotta believe it was either dings or this first scrim was to see how depth players fit in. I also think that, like the pros, reducing contact to key players is a major approach. No way would I risk Mikey this early in  camp.

What a difference from yesteryear. My QB, Dave Lass, was on the field at camp all the time everywhere. No one counted reps or throws and no one understood something called a concussion 🤕🤮😵‍💫

Health-wise, I'm glad the sport has evolved to where it is today.

But it must take some time to adjust to wearing those funny looking helmet covers 😃   BTW, the Packers use the same  covers in preseason so it must be a good thing. Of course, Bears fans would disagree.

valpo64

Ah, yes.  The Honorable Judge David Lass, one of my favorite frat brothers.  Not only a great guy but a heck of a QB.