• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Northwestern job

Started by Chairback, March 13, 2013, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 27, 2013, 11:38:30 AMDidn't realize that Collins was a local Chicago kid and recruited for Duke in the neighborhood. That's great foundation.
glenbrook north hs in northbrook, il

78crusader

Doug Collins, as some of us may recall, was on the 1972 Olympic team that got completely hosed by the refs and lost to the USSR, 50-49 (I think) on a last-second shot. If I remember correctly, that was our first-ever loss in the Olympics.

Paul

valpotx

I believe that was the game where the USSR was given 2 replays of the final few seconds, for complete BS reasons?
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on March 28, 2013, 02:42:39 PMfor complete BS reasons

"for complete BS reasons" = "because we hate Truth and Freedom"

don't just take MY word for it though:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/nov/16/usa-ussr-olympic-basketball-1972
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 28, 2013, 02:52:05 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 28, 2013, 02:42:39 PMfor complete BS reasons

"for complete BS reasons" = "because we hate Truth and Freedom"

don't just take MY word for it though:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/nov/16/usa-ussr-olympic-basketball-1972
I vaguely recall doing some sort of school report on that game, don't remember exactly when.  That quote about 39:57 vs. 40:03 definitely rings a bell with me.  I don't think I got it out of the Guardian article though, this being decades before this wonderful invention known as the internet.

CamKrist

Similar matter has already been discussed at yahoo answers. I can post the link if needed