• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Here's a new "surprise" recruit

Started by Valpo89, May 12, 2011, 02:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Hard to believe that Ole Miss doesn't have an MBA program with emphasis on Finance?

Congrats to Homer and the staff for getting him to VU!

crusaderguy08

There are a couple YouTube videos with highlights from high school, but this site won't let me post links for some reason...

bbtds

Buggs, Boggs and Bogan............Mr. Ickow will not have it too easy next season.

Touche, Homer!

Take advantage of the same rule that took away a good player. Bogan played 31 games as a freshman.

http://www.kboi2.com/sports/college/121667144.html

Bogan said Valpo coach Homer Drew has talked with him about an opportunity to be a team leader for the Crusaders.
In the classroom, Bogan will be working towards his masters degree in business administration with an emphasis on finance.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/bogan_will00.html

Here's that video of Bogan in high school in Idaho.
Will Bogan 07-08 Hilites Mix: Shooting

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/acad-support/spec-rel/042811aaa.html
Nine Ole Miss student-athletes were among the 395 total named to the 2011 SEC Winter Academic Honor Roll, announced Thursday by SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. Men's basketball player Will Bogan and rifle junior Keely Stankey are three-time honorees.  Bogan will graduate in three years this May with a degree in Managerial Finance, while Stankey finished seventh in the nation in air rifle in 2010.

rlh

With all of these guards, someone is going to be left out...it will be interesting to see who....also, I haven't met him yet, but I was told yesterday that Dino is closer to 6'4" than the 6'7" he's listed at.  Anyone met him yet?  I hope he's bigger than I was told...

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on May 12, 2011, 03:01:26 PM
Hard to believe that Ole Miss doesn't have an MBA program with emphasis on Finance?

Ole Miss does show a graduate program in Finance. Maybe there is another rule that Will Bogan is taking advantage of.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/graduate_school/Catalogs/2010catalog.pdf

University of Mississippi Graduate Programs

Doctor of Philosophy
Accountancy
Biological Science
Business Administration
Finance
Management
Management and Information Systems
Marketing
Production Operations Management
Chemistry
Counselor Education
Economics
Education
Educational Leadership K-12
Secondary Education
English
Health and Kinesiology
Exercise Science
Health Behavior and Promotion
Higher Education
History
Mathematics
Music
Music Education
Engineering Science
Aeroacoustics
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computational Hydroscience
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering
Electromagnetics
Geological Engineering
Geology
Hydrology
Materials Science
Mechanical Engineering
Telecommunications
Pharmaceutical Science
Environmental Toxicology
Medicinal Chemistry
Pharmaceutics
Pharmacognosy
Pharmacology
Pharmacy Administration
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
    Clinical
    Experimental

CrusaderFan1

Seems like a solid pick up...wish it was a big though!

We seem to have an overload of guards now (buggs, harris, kurth, boggs, bogan, kenney, jakolis) 

How do you guys see the minutes distributing?  Does this mean broekhoff will strictly be at the 4 again all year, same with edwards?

Pgmado

Ole Miss may have a MBA Masters program in straight Finance, but they might not have an MBA with an emphasis in Finance. Is the difference small? Yes. Is it big enough to matter? Sure. That's why this rule is lacking intelligence.

Regardless, Bogan has announced his graduate program while I don't think Brandon Wood ever announced one when he transferred.

valpo04

Quote from: crusaderguy08 on May 12, 2011, 03:02:22 PM
There are a couple YouTube videos with highlights from high school, but this site won't let me post links for some reason...

New Members (less than 5 posts) cannot post links.  It is to prevent spam. 

wh

Quote from: bbtds on May 12, 2011, 03:32:35 PM
Quote from: covufan on May 12, 2011, 03:01:26 PM

Ole Miss does show a graduate program in Finance. Maybe there is another rule that Will Bogan is taking advantage of.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/graduate_school/Catalogs/2010catalog.pdf

University of Mississippi Graduate Programs

Doctor of Philosophy
Accountancy
Biological Science
Business Administration
Finance
Management
Management and Information Systems
Marketing
Production Operations Management
Chemistry
Counselor Education
Economics
Education
Educational Leadership K-12
Secondary Education
English
Health and Kinesiology
Exercise Science
Health Behavior and Promotion
Higher Education
History
Mathematics
Music
Music Education
Engineering Science
Aeroacoustics
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computational Hydroscience
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering
Electromagnetics
Geological Engineering
Geology
Hydrology
Materials Science
Mechanical Engineering
Telecommunications
Pharmaceutical Science
Environmental Toxicology
Medicinal Chemistry
Pharmaceutics
Pharmacognosy
Pharmacology
Pharmacy Administration
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
     Clinical
     Experimental

I thought we established about 3 posts into the Brandon Wood thread that the rule that permits these kinds of transfers has nothing to do with academics.  I'm sure there is more than enough gray within this facade to make just about any combination of degrees work.  All I care at this point is we picked up a guy that could make us better next year. 

Welcome to the Valpo family, Will!

lowposter

He is a good shooter...didnt miss a shot that entire UTube video.  :o

sectionee

I will see what I can get from Dino on his height.  I would imagine he might be redshirted this season.  

I have an interview lined up with Will so hopefully I'll have that posted on the ole blog by the end of the weekend.

vu72

It looked to me that the same guy who made the Brandon Wood highlite video made this one!!  Looks like Homer et al have given up on the big and will now play five guards as we have guys 6'6" and 6'7" who call themselves guards!!

He is obviously a very good student.  It will be very interesting how all these guys fit together.  Who just lost playing time??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Quote from: rlh on May 12, 2011, 03:09:50 PM
With all of these guards, someone is going to be left out...it will be interesting to see who....also, I haven't met him yet, but I was told yesterday that Dino is closer to 6'4" than the 6'7" he's listed at.  Anyone met him yet?  I hope he's bigger than I was told...

This is direct from Dino on his height: "I'm 197.5 cm without shoes, in feet it is 6'48". If you add shoes, u'll get 6'6"."

I had to laugh when he listed his height in centimeters!

wh

Quote from: sectionee on May 12, 2011, 08:25:39 PM
With all of these guards, someone is going to be left out...it will be interesting to see who....also, I haven't met him yet, but I was told yesterday that Dino is closer to 6'4" than the 6'7" he's listed at.  Anyone met him yet?  I hope he's bigger than I was told...

This is direct from Dino on his height: "I'm 197.5 cm without shoes, in feet it is 6'48". If you add shoes, u'll get 6'6"."

I had to laugh when he listed his height in centimeters!

According to a converter I just used, 197.5 cm = 6'5.8".  If you add shoes you get 6-7.

VUfan

milanmiracle

Quote from: CrusaderFan1 on May 12, 2011, 03:41:17 PM

We seem to have an overload of guards now (buggs, harris, kurth, boggs, bogan, kenney, jakolis)  

How do you guys see the minutes distributing?  Does this mean broekhoff will strictly be at the 4 again all year, same with edwards?

I think somebody in that group will see the writing on the wall and possibly transfer. I am not going to get into that here, but if I had 7 people playing your position, it sure would open my eyes.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

DMvalpo18

Quote from: milanmiracle on May 12, 2011, 09:19:18 PM

How do you guys see the minutes distributing?  Does this mean broekhoff will strictly be at the 4 again all year, same with edwards?

I think somebody in that group will see the writing on the wall and possibly transfer. I am not going to get into that here, but if I had 7 people playing your position, it sure would open my eyes.

i think you may be right, even though we would hate to have to have it happen that way. i'm thinking the proven regulars like kenney, buggs, and harris i guess are safe. i don't want to be too negative though. i don't like kurth's situation. he missed a year and now when he gets to return he has loads of competition to get some PT.

justducky

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 12, 2011, 10:45:17 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on May 12, 2011, 09:19:18 PM

i think you may be right, even though we would hate to have to have it happen that way. i'm thinking the proven regulars like kenney, buggs, and harris i guess are safe. i don't want to be too negative though. i don't like kurth's situation. he missed a year and now when he gets to return he has loads of competition to get some PT.
I see a real scramble for playing time with nobody safe. We have to remember that what turned last season into a pile of crap was when the opposition decided to sag off, pack up the inside and while still covering Ryan and Brandon challenged the rest of the team to beat them from outside.

As a team we shot 32% from 3, and if Ryan's numbers were pulled from the mix it would have dropped into the 20's. Specifically we had 2 glaring problems and they were Buggs and Kenney. Matt shot 16%, I repeat 16% from 3 for the season. Preseason I for one had expected for him to be one of our main outside threats. Buggs actually beat that % by shooting 5 of 27 for 18.5%. Buggs has to develop a shot or as I have stated before he will come off the bench and fall from 23 minutes per game to perhaps 18. Without a rock solid inside post player everybody on the floor needs to be able to put the ball in the hole. Matt has to regain his 3 point touch or face reduced playing time also.

I have no clue what to expect from Jakolis but I am now hopeing that Boggs , Bogan , Kurth and Harris all step up to fill the scoreing gap that Brandon and Howards departures have created. This battle for playing time should be intense, so for us to today try to pick the winers and losers would seem to be a bit silly, but it certainly should be interesting.

agibson

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 12, 2011, 02:13:02 PM
Sounds like a nice replacement for Brandon, using the same rule

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/article_65a56a18-a4e5-54d4-a8f0-9ec7ba3efc24.html

How funny!  People on the board here were talking about how poetic it would be to pick up a player with the grad transfer rule, but I didn't expect it to happen this season.  And, from Ole Miss!

I was just explaining Woods transfer to my wife, last night.  And mentioned explicitly how it would probably only ever allow one year of eligibility.  The only likely scenario seemed to be a player red-shirting (or otherwise eating a season of eligibility) and still graduating in four years.

But, Bogan certainly proves me wrong!  Good on him for finishing his degree in three years.

I've not seen anyone say it explicitly, but he should have two seasons of eligibility at Valpo, right?

hoopfan22

sectionee

I interview Will last night.  It will be posted on my blog either tonight or late next week (I'll let you know) as I already have something for the beginning/middle of next week.

cmack

They are never as tall as advertised.  It's always best to do the standard 2" deduction on all Valpo recruits.

I was not overly excited about Bogan at first read, but for once it appears we have a guy who can get shots up quick.  Seems like most of our shooters need 4 or 5 seconds to set up their shot.
'

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on May 13, 2011, 10:46:10 PM
On a lighter note, isn't it ironic that VU has a player transfer to MSU and one transfer from MSU?   :crazy:

actually Ole Miss is University of Mississippi.
UM not MSU

vu72

Here's an article about Will that will shed some light on why he was taken by a SEC school.  I'm thinking the Evanville kid the coaches were watching was Zeller.  Also good to see he was an Honor Society member--not a big surprise when you think that a D1 athlete could graduate from anywhere is 2 plus years!!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=388&f=1467&t=2109189
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015