• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big Men coming?

Started by rlh, May 14, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

According to Paul Oren's blog on NWITimes.com/blogs/ we have a couple of big guys coming.....maybe?

http://nwitimes.com/app/blog/sports/

sectionee

An athletic big guy, somebody pinch me.  Hopefully we can land one of those two.

wh

It would be great to have either one or both of these guys.  I noticed that Cerina's points and minutes picked up toward the end of this past season as a sophomore at TCU.  He averaged 9 ppg over their last 7 games.  He appears to be pretty thick and muscular, as well.  Of course, he would have to sit out a year, unless he graduated in 2 years and we have a masters program that TCU doesn't offer.  ;)   

VU75

Funny thing about Cerina. He works his way into the starting lineup as a sophmore then decides to transfer?  Wonder if the Frogs coach has hinted that his incoming  Big East recruits will be getting playing time over his outgoing Mountain West upperclassmen.

cmack

"Very raw in the game of basketball"

Ugh! Here we go again.  I'd pass on this one if he were 10 feet tall. 

dcvalpo

This is potentially great news...maybe he is supposedly "raw," but if the teams mentioned were really after him then he is worth the chance.

The kid from TCU would be a definite "yes" on our end if he wants to come.

bbtds

http://bubravesblogger.blogspot.com/

BU seems to have passed on TCU transfer Nikola Cerina

I don't know if this truly means anything but it seems like a good sign.

Pictures of Nikola Cerina
http://www.zimbio.com/Nikola+Cerina

bbtds

Quote from: cmack on May 14, 2011, 06:40:47 PM

Just to clarify things: that quote was made about Vashil Fernandez who played at a prep school last year and not the possible TCU transfer, Nikola Cerina.

dcvalpo

Quote from: bbtds on May 14, 2011, 09:05:04 PM
http://bubravesblogger.blogspot.com/

BU seems to have passed on TCU transfer Nikola Cerina

I don't know if this truly means anything but it seems like a good sign.

Pictures of Nikola Cerina
http://www.zimbio.com/Nikola+Cerina

I wonder if they passed on him or he passed on them?

vuweathernerd

boy do i hope this is true

valpotx

Cerina would be a good get.  I went to a few of the games this year, and he did seem to improve as the year went on.  The MWC is pretty competitive in basketball, but TCU is not (will get killed in Big East in basketball).  Strong guy, bangs around in the post.
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

So, what does this mean as far as scholarships are involved?  By my own count we are up to 13.  Are we allowed 13 or more? 

Here is what I am showing for depth chart:
Guards:
Harris, Buggs, Boggs, Kenny, Kurth, Boggs, Boggin
Wings:
Jakolis, Broekhauf, Edwards
Bigs:
Vucic, Witt, Van Wyck

So, it appears we are courting two more bigs...does that mean if both commit one of the above leaves?  Or are we taking one or the other?  If so, which is the preferred?  Which do you take?  Either way, it will be a one year wait, either for eligibility or development.

No interest in Humes?  It would have meant a year.

humbleopinion

Quote from: cmack on May 14, 2011, 06:40:47 PM

Kikas was raw when he came in, but he was certainly worth the investment of time and patience.
Beamin' Beacons

valpofan56

Quote from: lowposter on May 15, 2011, 06:09:37 AM
So, what does this mean as far as scholarships are involved?  By my own count we are up to 13.  Are we allowed 13 or more? 

Here is what I am showing for depth chart:
Guards:
Harris, Buggs, Boggs, Kenny, Kurth, Boggs, Boggin
Wings:
Jakolis, Broekhauf, Edwards
Bigs:
Vucic, Witt, Van Wyck

So, it appears we are courting two more bigs...does that mean if both commit one of the above leaves?  Or are we taking one or the other?  If so, which is the preferred?  Which do you take?  Either way, it will be a one year wait, either for eligibility or development.

No interest in Humes?  It would have meant a year.

You've got Boggs down twice on your list.

rlh

I haven't heard of anyone leaving, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone contemplating a move.  We have all our scholarships taken I believe, so the only way to get either or both of these guys would be for a spot to open up.  I think I'm right about that...I guess we'll just have to wait and see

vu72

Quote from: rlh on May 15, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
I haven't heard of anyone leaving, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone contemplating a move.  We have all our scholarships taken I believe, so the only way to get either or both of these guys would be for a spot to open up.  I think I'm right about that...I guess we'll just have to wait and see

I think you have 13 scholarship available.  Last year we had 12 guys on scholarship--look at the roster.  We lose Cory, Mike, Howard and Brandon.  That takes us down to 8.  We add Edwards, Jakolis, Boggs and Bogan.  That still leaves us at 12.  We have room for 1 and I think the first one to accept gets it.  I suppose if both wanted to come perhaps a guy like Vucic would see the handwritng on the wall as he still has three years of eligibility. Cam is in hs final year so sure don't see him going anywhere.  It also depends on their progress and expectations for next year playing time.  I still think you might see Dino redshirt(which has no impact on scholarships), although I have had no conversations with anyone in that regard.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

cmack

Funny, when I mentioned this concept some time back, certain people hammered me for it.  How dare anyone speculate on players leaving regardless of reason.  Until University comment is made, we should not even mention the idea of it!!!!!!

wh

Quote from: cmack on May 15, 2011, 12:22:38 PM
Funny, when I mentioned this concept some time back, certain people hammered me for it.  How dare anyone speculate on players leaving regardless of reason.  Until University comment is made, we should not even mention the idea of it!!!!!!

Rlh pointed out that if we sign a 14th player, someone has to vacate their spot.  Kind of hard to argue with that.  If you were criticized for the same thing, that does seem pretty harsh.  Maybe you could provide your quote?     

rlh

Quote from: cmack on May 15, 2011, 12:22:38 PM

As I remember you mentioned something about the coaches forcing someone to leave...that I am totally against....players leaving of their own accord is another matter....I would hate to think we are like some other schools and would pull a players scholarship so we could get someone else and I don't think we would.

DMvalpo18

wow, it's funny how you can find supposed "confirmed" things about commits. but then you try and find out the official way from the institutions and contacting the athletes, and nothing. i hope this is for real! it has been way too long since we had good bigs.

valpofan56

Quote from: vu72 on May 15, 2011, 11:32:28 AM

I think you have 13 scholarship available.  Last year we had 12 guys on scholarship--look at the roster.  We lose Cory, Mike, Howard and Brandon.  That takes us down to 8.  We add Edwards, Jakolis, Boggs and Bogan.  That still leaves us at 12.  We have room for 1 and I think the first one to accept gets it.  I suppose if both wanted to come perhaps a guy like Vucic would see the handwritng on the wall as he still has three years of eligibility. Cam is in hs final year so sure don't see him going anywhere.  It also depends on their progress and expectations for next year playing time.  I still think you might see Dino redshirt(which has no impact on scholarships), although I have had no conversations with anyone in that regard.

I'm pretty sure that redshirted players still count against your allotted scholarships for the year.

VU75

As Yogi would say  it's deja-vu all over again.  There wasn't a scholarship for Van Wijk last year when word leaked that he was coming  It wasn't until June 24 & 25 that the announcement  that Halvorsen and Milosevic were leaving was made. 

lowposter

Scholarships are on a year to year basis...correct me if that is incorrect.  The cold hard realities of NCAA basketball is that there is a quid pro quo.  Make progress or move on.

This is very similar to a job.  Make sales or starve.  Perform or move on.  Pass tenure or find a new teaching job.

On the other hand, players leave when a better opportunity arises.  Loyalty is earned.  A $40,000 plus grant in aid is a pretty good size of change.  If I were a coach, a little control would be wise.

Just my thoughts.  Perhaps I am a little more realistic with the events of this spring.

Now, which big man project do we want?

lowposter

vu72

The last day for signing is May 18th. So by mid-night on Wednesday we will know whether or not we will add a big to the team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on May 16, 2011, 11:04:14 AM
The last day for signing is May 18th. So by mid-night on Wednesday we will know whether or not we will add a big to the team.

Not necessarily true.  The transfer wouldn't be signing a NLI and the other kid can choose to not sign a NLI and take the remainder of the spring/summer to pick a school.  If you recall, Van Wijk was a guy who first appeared on the scene well after the late signing period had ended.