• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big Men coming?

Started by rlh, May 14, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on August 06, 2011, 11:16:02 AM
Here is a list of uncommitted Indiana recruits that includes Brent Calhoun, a big man (6'8" 250 lbs.) from Warren Central for whom Valpo had shown interest in the past. He already has a few offers, including Appalachian State, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and Lamar. He is reportedly still developing as a player. How good he can be will not be proven until he performs in his senior year.

Still, I understand he would prefer to stay in Indiana and is visiting schools this month, believed to include IPFW, IUPUI, and Valpo. However, I wonder if Valpo's interest has lessened recently, especially since available roster space should be limited next year.

I believe Nick Osborne, who is on the list and was considering Valpo in the past, has just received an offer from Northwestern.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2011/07/31/updates-on-several-uncommitted-2012-players-and-a-couple-2013s/

Despite the offer from Northwestern, Muncie's 6' 8" Nick Osborne committed to Loyola today. Therefore, I have to conclude we would have had a good chance to get him if we had continued to pursue him more. Still, his selection of Loyola over Northwestern has to be another good sign for the stature of the Horizon League.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/post/_/id/3343/ramblers-add-two-players-to-2012-class

valporun

Quote from: valpopal on August 11, 2011, 12:09:14 AM
Quote from: valpopal on August 06, 2011, 11:16:02 AM
Here is a list of uncommitted Indiana recruits that includes Brent Calhoun, a big man (6'8" 250 lbs.) from Warren Central for whom Valpo had shown interest in the past. He already has a few offers, including Appalachian State, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and Lamar. He is reportedly still developing as a player. How good he can be will not be proven until he performs in his senior year.

Still, I understand he would prefer to stay in Indiana and is visiting schools this month, believed to include IPFW, IUPUI, and Valpo. However, I wonder if Valpo's interest has lessened recently, especially since available roster space should be limited next year.

I believe Nick Osborne, who is on the list and was considering Valpo in the past, has just received an offer from Northwestern.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2011/07/31/updates-on-several-uncommitted-2012-players-and-a-couple-2013s/

Despite the offer from Northwestern, Muncie's 6' 8" Nick Osborne committed to Loyola today. Therefore, I have to conclude we would have had a good chance to get him if we had continued to pursue him more. Still, his selection of Loyola over Northwestern has to be another good sign for the stature of the Horizon League.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/post/_/id/3343/ramblers-add-two-players-to-2012-class

Osborne might have fallen for Loyola because Porter Moser can offer "everyone will get a fair look" because it is his first year at Loyola, so he doesn't have the "only upperclassmen will get playing time", so once Osborne is in the fold, there could be a lot of transfers or guys who have found out they will not be getting the playing time they were valued at.
At Northwestern, Bill Carmody is doing exactly what the administration wants him to do. He is winning basketball games and graduating players. He's also running a clean program, so his work is doing exactly what the administration has asked of him. Osborne could have been lost on the bench at Northwestern, so Loyola is a logical choice, in my opinion.

Crusader03

Leke is attending Mich City Marquette....from what I hear, he is a potential big time player

wh

Quote from: Crusader03 on September 14, 2011, 08:53:45 PM
Leke is attending Mich City Marquette....from what I hear, he is a potential big time player

Ok, I give up.  Who?

lowposter

He just received the first of many offers...he has off the chart athletisim and a motor that never slows.  If you have a chance this winter, go watch MC Marq play.  There are a number of players on this team.

lowposter

Crusader03

Quote from: wh on September 14, 2011, 09:20:29 PM

Ok, I give up.  Who?

See the discussion earlier in this thread

wh

Quote from: Crusader03 on September 15, 2011, 07:49:46 AM

Ok, I give up.  Who?

See the discussion earlier in this thread

When you resurrect a thread that hasn't been posted on for 5 weeks and has 9 pages of posts to boot, it's helpful when the poster links to an earlier reference rather than making everyone else go back to find something that makes sense with what you're talking about.  Just a suggestion...

historyman

Here's the previous postings on Leke Solanke:

Ok, I give up.  Who?

Quote from: Valpo89 on August 04, 2011, 12:34:12 PM
Quote from: historyman on August 04, 2011, 12:03:31 PM
I stopped by the ARC and saw Vashil shooting free throws. Just in my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, he looked extremely raw and uncoordinated. Some of the other players standing around said he has a lot of work to do but has great potential. I did see him stand under the basket and pin the ball against the rim (underside) while standing flat footed. He certainly is tall and looks athletic. There was also a Nigerian who was looking for a prep school in the United States because he is a senior in high school who was playing with the guys in the pick up game and looks extremely extremely athletic. Much more coorinated than Vashil. Fairly tall too. Maybee 6-7, 6-8.
Was the Nigerian kid named Leke Solanke? Heard he may be going to Hammond Baptist or Lalumiere because whatever kind of a visa he has won't allow him to go to a place like Valpo High School. Heard he lives with a family in Valpo.

Quote from: historyman on August 04, 2011, 12:36:14 PM
Could have been. I didn't ask his name. He would be a good recruit in so many ways.

Quote from: valpopal on August 04, 2011, 12:43:22 PM
Leke Solanke, who currently does live in Valpo:

Leke Highlights "18 yrs 6' 6 Shooting Guard"

Quote from: historyman on August 04, 2011, 01:33:26 PM
I can't honestly say I recognize him but his style is the same as #3 in green. I would agree that could be the guy I saw playing at the ARC.

wh

Was the Nigerian kid named Leke Solanke? Heard he may be going to Hammond Baptist or Lalumiere because whatever kind of a visa he has won't allow him to go to a place like Valpo High School. Heard he lives with a family in Valpo.

Glad to hear that he is attending Marquette rather than Lalumiere.  No connection to the sleazy Indiana Elite AAU program at Marquette.

Crusader03

Quote from: wh on September 15, 2011, 08:28:25 PM

Glad to hear that he is attending Marquette rather than Lalumiere.  No connection to the sleazy Indiana Elite AAU program at Marquette.

He is with a good family as well, so he is in a good position to make wise decisions

indianadawgz

I can confirm that Leke Solanke is the name of the young man you have seen at the ARC.  He is 6'6 from Nigeria currently has an offer from Georgia State also is being recruited by: Loyola, Missouri State, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee Chattanooga, VALPO and many others.  For some reason, Valpo feels players like Clay Yeo are better fit for the program because they have not yet offered him a scholarship.  He was hoping for a package deal with his brother who is 6'11 and has interest from: UConn, Nebraska, IU, Purdue and others but has not happened.  Would be a shame to miss out on the potential of Leke he has mad athletic skills and will be a very good player in the future.

historyman

It figures that Ron Hunter at Georgia State made Leke his first scholarship offer.

valpopal

Today, from Indiana Basketball Recruits: "Head coaches from Loyola and Valpo, assistant coach from Oregon at Marquette Catholic to watch Solanke Adeleke, Michael Miller and Ryan Fazekas."

I also understand that Bryce and Jake went to see David Cohn of York High School (IL) yesterday.

indianadawgz

Quote from: valpopal on September 20, 2011, 04:48:13 PM
Today, from Indiana Basketball Recruits: "Head coaches from Loyola and Valpo, assistant coach from Oregon at Marquette Catholic to watch Solanke Adeleke, Michael Miller and Ryan Fazekas."

I also understand that Bryce and Jake went to see David Cohn of York High School (IL) yesterday.

This is correct except it was Jake Diebler along with Luke Gore in Marquette today.  Leke now has his 2nd D1 offer this time by Valpo conference rival Loyola.  After the workout today, the Loyola Head Coach Porter Moser along with Assistant Jason Gardner took Leke in private and offered him a full ride....he is scheduled to make a campus visit there this weekend.  Nice seeing Oregon there today as well.....my impression is that Valpo is now interested in Ryan Fazekas since they do not have a scholarship to offer Leke next season.  :-\

valpotx

It has been discussed, but unless someone leaves, I believe our scholarships are all extended for next season?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on September 21, 2011, 12:52:47 AM
It has been discussed, but unless someone leaves, I believe our scholarships are all extended for next season?

Cohn is in the 2013 class and Fazekas is in the 2015 class.

valpotx

Right, I was more speaking to the possibility of Solanke Adeleke.  Is he class of 2012?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on September 20, 2011, 04:48:13 PM

I am told Bryce extended an official offer to shooting guard Cohn today, and we also have an offer out to 6'8" 215-lb Alex Foster, rated four stars and out of Chicago. Both are in the class of 2013.

Foster:
Alex Foster long athletic 6'8 2013 elite PF HS mix De La Salle Chicago