• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: justducky on May 01, 2014, 09:56:13 PMThe chances for finding more inside help for 14-15 are getting pretty slim. Realistically if another Capo or better size and talent became available then we would have to strike. This would remain true even if the kid would have to redshirt.
I took a look at the transfer list from Jeff Goodman at ESPN http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

The following players are graduating and are immediately eligible to play:

Jordan Allen, 6-6, F, RS So., Hofstra -- LIU BROOKLYN
Quentin Bastian, 6-6, F, Jr., NJIT
Sooren Derboghosian 6-10, RS Jr., UCLA
Jeylani Dublin, 6-6, F, Jr., Longwood -- IONA
Alex Gavrilovic, 6-9, F, Jr., Dayton -- TOWSON
Kris Gulley, 6-7, SF, Jr., Long Beach State
Jon Horford, 6-10, PF, Jr., Michigan -- FLORIDA
James Johnson, 6-10, F, Jr., San Diego -- LIBERTY
Brandan Kearney, 6-5, F, Jr., Arizona State -- DETROIT
Darius Leonard, 6-9, C, Jr., Campbell -- WAKE FOREST
Justin Martin, 6-8, F, RS Jr., Xavier -- SMU
Parris Massey, 6-7, F, RS Jr., UMass Lowell
Griffin McKenzie, 6-9, F, Jr., Denver
Eric McKnight, 6-9, F, Jr., Florida Gulf Coast -- TENNESSEE
Sommy Ogukwe, 6-7, F, Jr., Liberty -- LIMESTONE
Ryan Okwudibonye, 6-8, C, Jr., Sacramento State
Mike Samuels, 6-11, C, Jr., Indiana State -- EASTERN MICHIGAN
Nick Shepherd, 6-9, F, Jr., Long Beach State
Desmond Simmons, 6-7, SF, RS Jr., Washington -- SAINT MARY'S
Zech Smith, 6-11, C, Jr., Cal State Bakersfield -- MORGAN STATE
Dwight Tarwater, 6-6, F, Sr., Cornell
J.J. Thomas, 6-6, F, Jr., Cal State Northridge
Malik Thomas, 6-7, F, Jr., Boston University -- NORFOLK STATE
Jake Zuilhof, 6-9, PF, RS So., Grand Canyon

I have no idea the quality of any of the players, but I'm sure the coaching staff is already looking at those that might fit into the Valpo system.  Samuels (from Indiana State) and Zuilhof (Grand Canyon) are interesting in that they are graduating and have two years remaining.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on May 02, 2014, 03:16:22 PMSamuels (from Indiana State) and Zuilhof (Grand Canyon) are interesting in that they are graduating and have two years remaining.
That is a great point.  We really lucked out with Will Bogan in that regard.  He was no world-beater, but he was exactly what that team needed more of.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Derboghosian, an Iranian, going to UCLA has an interesting story but I don't think he would leave UCLA. Apparently the Iranian community in Los Angeles is large which would not be the case in Valpo or even Chicago. He spent two years at Glendale Community College in the L.A. area before Ben Howland let him walk-on at UCLA. He played a total of 7 minutes for Howland in 2012-13. Alford did not play him at all in 2013-14. His dream since he was 4 or 5 years old was to play for UCLA.

http://dailybruin.com/2012/11/09/junior-center-shoots-for-multiple-goals-from-iran-to-us/

Yes, he's second from the left.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on May 02, 2014, 08:42:08 PMDerboghosian, an Iranian, going to UCLA has an interesting story but I don't think he would leave UCLA
um...isn't he on the transfer list for a reason?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2014, 11:07:58 PM
Quote from: historyman on May 02, 2014, 08:42:08 PMDerboghosian, an Iranian, going to UCLA has an interesting story but I don't think he would leave UCLA
um...isn't he on the transfer list for a reason?

Yes, I see what I did. I left out the words "for Valpo" after "leave UCLA." It's obvious he wants more playing time, any playing time.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, after 3.5 minutes a year, I'd say ANYWHERE would give him more time.

Interesting, Iranian.  Would have pegged his surname for Armenian.

Does anyone follow coaches on Twitter?  I don't suppose they can tweet at people but they can get tagged by prospects.

valpotx

It mentions in that article that his first language is Armenian, so he is probably Armenian-Iranian
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

a people not known for Sooren above the rim...

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 03, 2014, 07:53:56 AMInteresting, Iranian.  Would have pegged his surname for Armenian.
I used to think any last name ending in "ian" was Armenian as well.  I've met other Iranians with "ian" names, and I think they identified with being Persian more than Iranian.

agibson

Quote from: covufan on May 05, 2014, 02:09:21 PMI think they identified with being Persian more than Iranian.

Are there Iranians that identify as Iranian more than Persian?  What's the distinction?

covufan

Quote from: agibson on May 07, 2014, 02:18:31 PMAre there Iranians that identify as Iranian more than Persian?  What's the distinction?
I'm sure there are, but don't know for a fact.  The distinction, as I understood it, revolved around the Islamic Revolution in 1978-80, where Iran become an Islamic Republic with the Ayatollah having a larger spiritual and political role.  I would guess that for many under the age of 40, having lived in Iran under this regime, and having completely bought into the Ayatollah system, would identify as being Iranian.  For those that are older or were able to leave Iran, they did not identify with what Iran had become, and would say that they were Persian.  They didn't necessarily agree with the Shah, but identified being Persian first, then Muslim.

I'm sure we've all known people here in the US that have a very strong American identity; others very strongly Christian before American.  Again, these are just my thoughts, not necessarily what anyone from Iran might say/think.

LaPorteAveApostle

agibson

Quote from: covufan on May 07, 2014, 03:25:24 PMI'm sure we've all known people here in the US that have a very strong American identity; others very strongly Christian before American.  Again, these are just my thoughts, not necessarily what anyone from Iran might say/think.

Sure - that makes sense.  But, neither of the words Persian or Iranian would necessarily have to have anything to do with religion.

But, I can imagine how one might get used for the longer sweep of Iranian/Persian cultural identity, and the other might be more tied up with the most recent regimes.

wh

The last I recall we still have 1 open scholarship. We badly need a seasoned JC or 5th year Sr. to help at the 4/5. I'm thinking at this late stage all the good ones are committed somewhere.  Hopefully, I'm wrong and a nice surprise is still forthcoming.

vufan75

Quote from: wh on June 04, 2014, 12:33:53 PM
The last I recall we still have 1 open scholarship. We badly need a seasoned JC or 5th year Sr. to help at the 4/5. I'm thinking at this late stage all the good ones are committed somewhere.  Hopefully, I'm wrong and a nice surprise is still forthcoming.

Agree 100% wh. If there is another recruit targeted for next season, at this point it seems it might be an overseas player (ala KVW). Like you said the good ones here with size are pretty much gone and committed at this point. A surprise would be a beautiful thing though! 

valpopal

Since there has been a very quiet lull in offers by Valpo, my guess is that the coaching staff has a plan in mind—either a JC player or someone from overseas. In fact, Verbal Commits shows no real offers for 2014 by Valpo.

As has been mentioned, there is a pattern of last-minute additions, such as Kevin and Vashil. The routine has been to add these players just before the second summer session begins so that they can enroll then. The second summer session begins on Monday, June 30; therefore, I expect an addition to the roster at least during the week prior to that, if not before.

Like everyone else, I'm hoping we get lucky with a pleasant surprise as we did with KVW. 

valpopal

Surprise! It appears that Valpo has a new JC guard. Darien Walker, a 6'3" 220 lb shooting guard, has committed to VU. Played high school ball at Simeon in Chicago. Eligible to play immediately.

78crusader

Um...don't we already have PLENTY of guards?

Paul

wh

Nothing against our new recruit (don't know anything about him yet), but I think we were all hoping for help at the 4/5.  Obviously, that didn't materialize.  We'd better pray that (1) Vashil can learn to play without getting into constant foul trouble and (2) he doesn't get injured.  We're going to have some very undersized lineups when he's out of the game.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on June 18, 2014, 01:18:38 PM
Surprise! It appears that Valpo has a new JC guard. Darien Walker, a 6'3" 220 lb shooting guard, has committed to VU. Played high school ball at Simeon in Chicago. Eligible to play immediately.
I think we were all hoping for help at the 4-5 position, but sometimes the best player/fit doesn't meet our expectations.  Here is some info:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/darien-walker

If his weight is correct, I envision some 3G and 4G lineups.  This team will need to utilize their quickness, on both ends of the court.

Quote from: 78crusader on June 18, 2014, 03:16:18 PM
Um...don't we already have PLENTY of guards?

Paul

I'm sure this was the first thought of many...

Quote from: wh on June 18, 2014, 03:31:10 PM
Nothing against our new recruit (don't know anything about him yet), but I think we were all hoping for help at the 4/5.  Obviously, that didn't materialize.  We'd better pray that (1) Vashil can learn to play without getting into constant foul trouble and (2) he doesn't get injured.  We're going to have some very undersized lineups when he's out of the game.
I'm sure the foul trouble thing will be well communicated to Vashil between now and November!  The injury thing does worry me, as I'm sure the coaching staff is already coming up with contingency plans. 

We lost Capo and Gueye at the 4/5 position, with only Skara coming in.  I hope that Chadwick will be healthy this year, as he'll be needed.  With Capo and Gueye gone, we have another 34 minutes per game to give to Chadwick, Vashil, Jubril, and Skara.  I can see that defensive positioning and footwork will be key in keeping these players out of foul trouble.  Bryce has some challenges this year, and he is up for the task!

With this many good guards and SFs returning, I'm looking forward to some up-tempo play.  If we can transition quickly on defensive rebounds and catch the other team out of position with respect to our quicker players and kick-out shooters, we could have some fun this year!

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on June 18, 2014, 01:18:38 PM

Regarding our newest recruit, Darien Walker, following is a report on his commitment to Valpo. Apparently he will have 2 years of eligibility at Valpo after playing juco ball.

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/3548-darien-walker-commits-to-valparaiso

Darien Walker Commits To Valparaiso

Published on Wednesday, 18 June 2014 11:17 Written by Brian Stinnette

John A. Logan's Darien Walker, who starred as a prep at Chicago Simeon has committed to play for head coach Bryce Drew and Valparaiso University.

Walker, who stands 6'3, is a strong-framed, versatile wing who can score the ball in a variety of ways.

Walker joins a Valparaiso program that has had great success with recruits from the state of Illinois.  Lavonte Dority (Chicago Foreman) was a First Team All-Horizon League pick in 2013-14, while freshmen Jubril Adekoya (Andrew), Lexus Williams (Chicago Marist) and Alec Peters all became starters.  Williams and Peters were All-Freshman picks in the Horizon League.  Keith Carter (Proviso East) is also poised to play a big role.

Walker will have two years of playing eligibility remaining at Valpo.

Walker was part of a Meanstreets team as a prep that also included Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans), Jamari Traylor (Kansas), Mangkok Mathiang (Louisville), Phillip Greene (St. John's) and Julius Brown (Toledo).

John A. Logan head coach Kyle Smithpeters confirmed Walker's commitment to Valpo.

And a tweet from writer Michael Osipoff, with a comment on Walker from his juco coach.

[tweet]479322207714160640[/tweet]

Season stats for 2013-14 season for John A. Logan College. Based on starts only, looks like maybe he was 6th man this past season? But he was the 2nd leading scorer on the team. Hoping he can improve his ball control assist/turnover ratio the next two years. Walker did play his high school basketball at Simeon High School in Chicago, which has produced many very good college players over the years.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/teams/johnalogancollege?view=lineup

historyman

John A Logan is a junior college between Carbondale and Marion in southern Illinois.

Video of Darien Walker at a Pro Am Tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mCnL0Z1Rzg#t=66

http://jg-tc.com/sports/basketball/scary-john-a-logan-visits-lake-land-men/article_d966894d-f8b4-5582-888e-8d171ddb126b.html

Scary John A. Logan visits Lake Land men

January 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

Darien Walker and Sondale Connor also are grads from Simeon, and played with this guy named Derrick Rose their sophomore years.

Walker leads the team in 15.4 points a game while Martavian Payne adds 14.2, and Tre Green chips in 11.8 points a game.

"This is a good team that is finding ways to play good basketball," said coach Cedric Brown. "Their chemistry is great. They find a way to defend while limiting turnovers offensively, and they hold teams to one shot per possession."

The scarier part about John A. Logan is that it is a winner of its last eight straight, including a 75-64 victory at Vincennes, the No. 6 ranked team in the NJCAA Division I.

John A. Logan's run to bump them to 10-5 on the season makes the team a legitimate contender for first place.

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm hoping for 2 LVD-like years, not just look-alike years!

NOTE:  "look-alike" in terms of build and game, not in the "y'all look alike to me" everyday racism type thing.

vu72

Count me in the "shocked" category.  The good news is that we will be more athletic (read quicker, faster) than any team in the Horizon.  We will have to run, run and then run.  Not a bad thing.  Bryce et al are changing the nature and culture of Valpo basketball.  Don't forget about Nickerson, who at 6'8" is most likely much more athletic then similarly sized guys in the Horizon.  I'll trust Bryce on this one...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, I mean, sure we have a lot of guards, but it's not like everyone else has tons of bigs and we're struggling to keep up with them.

We've had height the last couple years, and it seemed usually like people were trying to keep up with us.  (Or they just went small and ran around us.)

Should be interesting.  I'm going to go update the roster now!