• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Well that number 1 pick and Canadian in the NBA draft has been terrible -- trbl -- so far for the Cavs. He will develop but there is still a learning curve, albeit smaller than it was eh, with Canadian basketball players. Having watched Steve Nash in college, he went to a mid-major and really wasn't noticed til his Jr and Sr years. Remember sitting in the ASU arena for the afternoon session of the NCAAs in '96 and discussing Nash with a few scouts in our section. We all agreed on his court vision, speed and leadership abilities. Loved when the games were in smaller arenas and it was just aboot hoops and the games were attended by generally a bunch of hoop junkies.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: vu72 on November 14, 2013, 04:32:46 PM
Thanks boys, now back to the subject at hand!

So I was just thinking (dangerous I know) about these two Canadian kids. And here's what I'm thinking: Bryce, Roger et al, have how many quality guards in Indiana/Illinois/the rest of the United States/the rest of the World, and we take two Canadians from the same high school?

What I'm really thinking is that our coaches just pulled a very fast one on the rest of D1 and grabbed a couple of kids that, if better known, might be sought after by high D1's.  Not the first time a Drew has gone off the beaten path to find talent.  My guess is that we are in for something pretty special.  Time will tell!

I think you're right on, '72.  First, we leave a lot of IL D-1 programs shaking their heads at the talent we've pulled out from under them. Now, we're doing the same in Canada.  This is fun!

LaPorteAveApostle

I think you're all missing the bigger point here:

Ross Perot was right. I blame NAFTA for this sorry state of affairs.

THESE HERE SCHOLLYSHIPS WUZ MADE IN AMERICA.  SPEAK AMERICAN!

luckily it's Milwaukee that's making what Ross referred to as
Giant Sucking Sound - Ross Perot 1992 Presidential Debate.flv

/setshot'd rick'd
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

According to verbalcommits, SF Afam Osu, who plays for a prep school in the Milwaukee area but originally is from Nigeria, has shown interest in Valpo. He has no offer from Valpo yet, only offer is from GB.

He's 6' 7" and 200 lbs.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, not to belabor the point that's obvious to even casual fans, but we need ALL THE BIGS.

For, as big as we are this year--as big as ever--we lose Capo and Moussa.

We still have Vashil, and hopefully Chadwick could step in for Capo and Adekoya gets a larger role...but after that it's
ALL GUARDS ALL THE TIME (ok, tall ones like Yeo are in there, and wings like Peters, but don't get in the way of my ALL CAPS HANDWRINGING)

speaking of which, i love google image search.  the #1 hit for "ALL GUARDS ALL THE TIME" is
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 15, 2013, 10:23:31 AM
Yeah, not to belabor the point that's obvious to even casual fans, but we need ALL THE BIGS.

For, as big as we are this year--as big as ever--we lose Capo and Moussa.

We still have Vashil, and hopefully Chadwick could step in for Capo and Adekoya gets a larger role...but after that it's
ALL GUARDS ALL THE TIME (ok, tall ones like Yeo are in there, and wings like Peters, but don't get in the way of my ALL CAPS HANDWRINGING)

speaking of which, i love google image search.  the #1 hit for "ALL GUARDS ALL THE TIME" is

Don't forget Nickerson at 6'7" will be eligible next year as well.  So without anybody new we will have Vashil at 6'11", Chadwick at 6'9", Peters at 6'7", Nickerson at 6'7" and Adekoya at 6'7".
That's OK and I'm guessing a transfer or two might fill the remaining slots, who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on November 15, 2013, 10:12:35 AM
According to verbalcommits, SF Afam Osu, who plays for a prep school in the Milwaukee area but originally is from Nigeria, has shown interest in Valpo. He has no offer from Valpo yet, only offer is from GB.

He's 6' 7" and 200 lbs.

He actually graduated high school in New Jersey and is now in a post-graduate (high school) program at St Johns Military Academy (Trevon Hughes, former Badgers star, went to the under-under-graduate there). The 1-year academic program is specifically for athletes that want to play a D1 or D2 sport but got under-recruited out of high school. I'm not sure this counts as a JUCO or not, but it's probably cheaper than a junior college and prepares the players for a 4 year degree much better.

http://www.sjnma.org/post-graduate-program/
http://www.livinglakecountry.com/lakecountryreporter/sports/225213602.html

It looks like UWGB gave him a scholarship.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on November 15, 2013, 10:46:34 AMDon't forget Nickerson at 6'7" will be eligible next year as well.
Good point, but part of why he transferred is that he wanted to play 3 not 4... we need 4s and 5s...

talksalot

I'm thrilled to have the two canadians coming in.  They meet my #1 priority:  Name Pronounciability.   and if we do need someone to sing O'Canada... we can call the Railcats baseball team.  They have someone sing that anthem when we play a team from north of the border.

Now... I'm sure you all know why we have these two position players coming... here's the first verse of their anthem.

O Canada! Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The true north, strong and free
From far and wide, O Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.

NOTICE... it does not say "We stand on Power Forward for thee"....

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2013, 02:14:07 PM
I'm thrilled to have the two canadians coming in.  They meet my #1 priority:  Name Pronounciability.   and if we do need someone to sing O'Canada... we can call the Railcats baseball team.  They have someone sing that anthem when we play a team from north of the border.

Now... I'm sure you all know why we have these two position players coming... here's the first verse of their anthem.

O Canada! Our home and native land
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The true north, strong and free
From far and wide, O Canada
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee
O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.

NOTICE... it does not say "We stand on Power Forward for thee"....

I think everybody should memorize it for their first game and have the whole crowd sign along. Now that would be impressive.

Too bad Thanksgiving Day passed on October 14 in Canada. Maybe they can come down to Valpo for a second Thanksgiving.

chef

Nickerson, Peters and Adekoya give Valpo great versatility at both forward spots next year. All three can play both the 3 and 4. Yeo can also play the 3. I think the future at the forward position has never been brighter. It's the one position where we have little recruiting worries for next season. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, thank you for that.  I will sleep a little better tonight!

All we need is a 5.  Of course, so does everyone :)

valpopal

Ryan Taylor, a 6'6" shooting guard from Michigan City (St. John's Northwestern Military Academy), took an unofficial visit to Valpo today. He doesn't have an offer for a scholarship. He plays on a team with a 6'11" 220 lb center who has an offer from Green Bay. Perhaps we could make a package deal.  ;)

wh

I see that Tevonn Walker is putting up some huge scoring numbers for 9-1 Vanier.  Also, here is a short video from the day Walker and Joseph signed their NLI's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmc_QHXnpRM

LaPorteAveApostle

valpo64

Wouldn't Luke be a find for us!

wh

If Fischer were to opt for a HL program, it seems that GB would be more likely:

- His home town is Germantown, WI, 2 hours south of Green Bay. 
- GB is the only HL program that offered him.
- Brown is in his final year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Luke-Fischer-124096

a3uge

Quote from: wh on December 30, 2013, 09:10:03 PM

Gah, if you're going to school 2+ hours from home, you might as well go to the school with the coach that isn't going to berate you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wh

Quote from: a3uge on December 30, 2013, 09:18:32 PM

Gah, if you're going to school 2+ hours from home, you might as well go to the school with the coach that isn't going to berate you.

You make a good point.  He only has one more chance to find the right fit.  Why would he roll the dice on a jackass like Wardle?

a3uge

Quote from: wh on December 30, 2013, 09:27:20 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 30, 2013, 09:18:32 PM

You make a good point.  He only has one more chance to find the right fit.  Why would he roll the dice on a jack ass like Wardle?

Also, I see he had an offer from Marquette. If he wants to go in state, that's probably a more likely option... That is if he can stand Buzz. Probably not a great fit there either.

historyman

Also, Germantown is near Mequon so it's metro Milwaukee. If I had to choose an HL school it would be UWM. Of course, if the purpose was to get away from the Milw area then I would choose a school 3 hours away that had a coach with a great reputation with players instead of a school 2 hours away that was still in Packerland and had a coach with a "questionable" (trying not to sound judgemental because obviously some of his players like him despite his being a douche) reputation.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on December 31, 2013, 12:57:38 AM
Also, Germantown is near Mequon so it's metro Milwaukee. If I had to choose an HL school it would be UWM. Of course, if the purpose was to get away from the Milw area then I would choose a school 3 hours away that had a coach with a great reputation with players instead of a school 2 hours away that was still in Packerland and had a coach with a "questionable" (trying not to sound judgemental because obviously some of his players like him despite his being a douche) reputation.

I'd take a full scholarship at Marquette before UWM. Milwaukee is pretty much an urban commuter school. Marquette has dorms and campus life.

historyman

Quote from: historyman on December 31, 2013, 12:57:38 AM

QuoteI'd take a full scholarship at Marquette before UWM. Milwaukee is pretty much an urban commuter school. Marquette has dorms and campus life.
The statement I replied to was if Fischer was to going to choose between HL schools and the schools mentioned were UWGB, UWM and Valpo.
QuoteIf Fischer were to opt for a HL program, it seems that GB would be more likely
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo84

From Victory Forelight, a Butler tweeter this morning:

Victory Firelight ‏@ButlerVictory "With Luke Fischer transfer decision coming this weekend, it's hard to not salivate at the speculation. Would be game changer for Butler."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum