• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

I would assume we're one of the 40 mentioned, but since not mentioned by name, probably not a great sign
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Marquette it is - kid probably just wanted to be close to home. Also, hilarious he left Crean for Marquette.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpotx

Glad that he didn't go to Butler  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

I heard last night that we are actively pursuing a couple of junior college  big men for next year, hoping to get  at least one of them........don't know anymore details than that.

classof2014

No offer but Deji Adekunle, a 6' 11" 235 center from London, who is a JUCO from Williston State in North Dakota has shown a high level of interest in Valpo. No offer though.

valpo84

You tube on Deji Adekunle from 2012-13 season.

Deji Adekunle- Williston State
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Just my opinion: Smooth footwork and relaxed, coordinated running style.  Has some moves around the basket. Plays more like a 6'7" but is 6'10"

HC

If he is coordinated and that tall I'd take a shot at him, assuming there isn't another promising big target out there.

valpotx

I'll take a 6'11" big with minimal talent and two years for next season.  Hopefully we can bring in a FR big at the same time to groom for the future without Vashil and JuCo big.  If Deji Akendule played anything like Deji Akindele from CSU several years back, I would take him in a heartbeat :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoFan

We will have 4 scholarships opening up next year: Lavonte, Capo, Moussa, and Coleman, right?
How many are already taken (Nickerson?) or is he already on scholarship? How many spoken for (offered and verbally committed), and how many still available?
Thanks.

chef

Nickerson is currently on scholarship. We have two players signed, thus leaving two spots available.

ValpoFan

Thanks Chef. I am a new fan, can you please guide me to where I can find info about the 2 signed recruits.
I appreciate the help.

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoFan on January 26, 2014, 12:46:53 AM
Thanks Chef. I am a new fan, can you please guide me to where I can find info about the 2 signed recruits.
I appreciate the help.
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/13148/crusaders-ink-pair-of-canadian-guards-to-nlis/

Canadians. Hope they turn out better than the Canadian #1 draft pick turned out for the Cavs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpopal

Possible 2014 recruit Darreon Reddick had 27 points and 11 rebounds in the championship game as his team won a tournament this weekend, and he was named the tournament MVP. Still, I expect Reddick, a 6'3" shooting guard, to go elsewhere, and that Bryce will use the JUCO route (or maybe find a transfer) to fill the two remaining scholarships for next year.

wh

historyman

Quote from: vufan75 on November 14, 2013, 12:10:07 PMNice video of the signing and interviews with the two Canadian players signing with Valpo that are part of valpotx's post and link reporting the NLI signing. Here is the link again separate from the Valpo Athletics press release. http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1542320
It now seems evident that both of these Quebecers have a Jamaican background if you watched this video. I had not picked up on this before. I kept thinking English/Quebec/Canadian like their coach. Well, in case you missed it Toronto mayor, Rob Ford, knows how to speak patois.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/21/rob-fords-drunken-jamaican-english-laced-rant-translated/

EDIT: Be aware that Ford's drunken speech is laced with English/Jamacain cursing.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vufan75

According to this article from chicagohoops.com from today, Valpo is one of the schools who is recruiting 6-10 Marvin Jones from Highland Community College (IL). For those of us hoping to add another "big" to next years team, this would be positive news. Like others have said, we will still have some size next season, but, IMO can never have enough as long as they can play at the D1 level.

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/3052-marvin-jones-talks-season-recruiting

Marvin Jones Talks Season, Recruiting

Friday, 28 February 2014
Written by Cavan Walsh

Highland Community College (IL) standout Marvin Jones is ready for the Region IV Tournament this weekend and his team will open on Saturday against Truman (IL).

Jones, a 6'10 center who starred as a prep at Thornton High School (IL) is averaging 9.2 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game on the season.  We caught up with Jones for a quick update on the season and his recruiting.

Talk about how the regular season went both as a team and individual?

"Since the first game of the season I've been ecstatic about this season. I was ready to leave a mark & prove people wrong. I think the season went great, for none of us to have ever played with each other in the previous season. I think the season went quite well ending up 24-6. From an individual standpoint I think I have done well, but better is coming. Being top 25 in the country in blocks the whole year and nearly averaging a double-double a game. I know that isn't enough, and I'm working to get better results everyday. The regular season is over but a new season is about to begin."

How's the recruiting process going and what schools are involved?

"Recruiting this year has been going good. I started off with an official visit to SIU. Shortly after that I lot of schools like Auburn, Cal State Bakersfield, and Cal State Northridge coming in to open gyms and practices to see how I was coming a long. Since the season had begun I've taken an unofficial visit to Loyola Chicago and schools Valpo, EMU, and Nebraska-Omaha have started recruiting me."

When it comes time to make a decision what will you be looking for in a school?

"I'm looking for the best fit for me. It doesn't matter to me if it's a high-major or low-major school. I'm not picky, I am just trying to get the most out of these last two years I have. I'm not really trying to rush anything with a decision. I'm going to see how things go after the playoffs then I will set dates for visits and decide then."

What are your expectations for the playoffs?

"Since the regular season ended I've been watching game film to see where I can improve and just fine tuning my game for the playoffs. I hope we can make a big run in the national tournament. I am staying on top of my grades and focusing on the classroom because without those I am not going anywhere."

LaPorteAveApostle

Good find on that article.  We will always need bigs.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

David Skara, a 6'8" forward, has received an offer from VU and will be visiting campus today.

hoopfan22

Chris Artis @chrisartis5
Shout out to David Skara who picked up an offer from Valparaiso and is taking his visit there today! #MEPA

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on March 13, 2014, 09:29:10 AM
David Skara, a 6'8" forward, has received an offer from VU and will be visiting campus today.

Not much, but ran across a bit of info on David Skara. Apparently a native of Croatia. From verbalcommits.com and Midwest Elite Prep Academy websites. Former Valpo player Chris Artis is an assistant coach at Midwest Elite Prep Academy, per the website.
They are located in Merrillville. 

http://verbalcommits.com/players/david-skara

http://midwesteliteprephoops.com/

Apparently, Green Bay has already offered a scholarship back in February per the blog Phear the Phoenix.

http://phearthephoenix.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/41419935-gb-offers-scholarship-to-david-skara

valpotx

I'll take a 6'8" guy.  It looks like he is a 2 star on some sites, and will add to our Croatian lineage if he joins.  If Vashil can average close to 30 minutes, we can use Jubril and this guy at the 4, so Peters can play his desired 3.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Perhaps this has been viewed on here before, but I was searching around and saw it for the first time.  Tevonn Walker, our 6'1" guard from Canada, might be a little more athletic than I originally thought. Tevonn Walker - Posters defender on a putback
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on March 13, 2014, 02:25:14 PM
Perhaps this has been viewed on here before, but I was searching around and saw it for the first time.  Tevonn Walker, our 6'1" guard from Canada, might be a little more athletic than I originally thought. Tevonn Walker - Posters defender on a putback

As I've said before, when you think about all the guards located in just Indiana and realize that Bryce et al decided to fill the guard spots with two kids from Canada, then I for one am assuming they must be pretty special.  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015