• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Tevonn Walker was recently named a first team all-star in his league and as the league Player of the Year, as well as the MVP at the Provincial Championships. He is under the radar right now, but his athleticism will surprise many in the Horizon League.

classof2014

Tevonn Walker led his league in scoring averaging 20.8 PPG, 4.8 rebounds, 2.4 APG (TO ratio is about 1:1), 2.6 Steals

Max Joseph averaged 9.9 PPG, 5.9 Rebounds, 3.4 APG : 2.3 TO, 1.6 Steals

Walker is probably gonna be the star out of the 2015 freshman class. As he has the ability to score and will probably be the guy to replace the LVD type who can get to the lane with his athleticism.

It'll be nice to have 2 players who have played together as it'll bring chemistry which is an issue when freshmen come in who have never played together.

valpopal

I saw that David Skara had a visit scheduled for Boston College. However, word is that BC's coach, Steve Donahue, has just been fired.

valporun

Yes, the coach at BC was fired. I've also seen that Ken Bone at Washington State, in Pullman, WA, not the U of Washington, was fired. The odd part, these two get fired on the same day that Bruce Pearl becomes the new head coach at Auburn. Didn't he have a 5-year show me clause, or was that passed already?

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2014, 02:53:20 PM
Yes, the coach at BC was fired. I've also seen that Ken Bone at Washington State, in Pullman, WA, not the U of Washington, was fired. The odd part, these two get fired on the same day that Bruce Pearl becomes the new head coach at Auburn. Didn't he have a 5-year show me clause, or was that passed already?

I think it was only 3 years. Man that guy is going to be orange living in Georgia full time.

valpotx

Uh, did Auburn move from Alabama to Georgia, and no one told me about it? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Some people just go in for the long commutes.

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2014, 04:42:23 PM
Uh, did Auburn move from Alabama to Georgia, and no one told me about it? ;)

It's the south, it's all the same thing.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2014, 04:42:23 PMUh, did Auburn move from Alabama to Georgia, and no one told me about it? ;)
Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2014, 05:07:50 PMSome people just go in for the long commutes.
It's actually 36 miles from Columbus, GA (and Fort Benning) to Auburn, AL so it wouldn't be all that bad of a commute and have heard about a guy that teaches the military at Fort Benning and at Auburn University.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Columbus,+GA&daddr=Auburn,+AL&hl=en&sll=32.606989,-85.479126&sspn=2.891849,5.059204&geocode=FbBQ7wEdwzDv-in1MTVYG82MiDFhA-HuqVCMcg%3BFUGW8QEdsqrn-imD-JuzL_GMiDFYk9M1kpElyw&oq=Auburn&mra=ls&t=m&z=11
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Crap, please don't compare Texas to the Southeast.  We are proud of our Southern heritage, but not nearly to the extent that they are ;).  Our pride is a Texas pride more than Southern pride.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

David Skara received an offer from Robert Morris today; but I have to think Valparaiso would be a preferred location for him.

hoopfan22

Has anyone seen him? Where did they play their games?

VULB#62

Quote from: vufan75 on March 13, 2014, 10:03:33 AM
http://midwesteliteprephoops.com/

Hoop  --  Go to Midwest Elite Prep and check out their schedule and facilities.  They played some JC's and other preps.

SanityLost17

Lots of people transferring from Purdue and IU this year.  Ronnie Johnson and Jeremy Hollowell were both 4 star recruits and top 20 at their positions.  I saw on twitter that the rumor was they wanted to transfer to the same school.  Both are from Indianapolis.   

No centers in the group though...

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

valpopal

David Skara has now received an offer from Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech.

hoopfan22

Chris Artis ‏@chrisartis5  51m
Congrats to David Skara on receiving a scholarship offer to Virginia Tech!! #MEPA

Does this help/hurt us?

valpotx

I would have to think that we won't be getting him, if this is a sign of other larger schools taking an interest in him.

Are we recruiting 6'10" Filip Nowiki from the same school?  It looks like he has considered Wright State and Butler...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on March 26, 2014, 08:46:57 AM
David Skara has now received an offer from Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech.

Interesting to note that per Verbal Commits, David Skara now has 4 scholarship offers to choose from, with I'd presume more to come as we get closer to the spring NLI period. Virginia Tech (thanks Buzz), Robert Morris, Valpo, and Green Bay.   

wh

6-10 Butler freshman Nolan Berry has announced that he will be transferring. Despite not playing much this year, IMO he has definite potential. I think he's the 5th Butler player to quit the team since the beginning of this season. 

valpotx

Hopefully he is someone that we can consider, and can develop into someone with at least Junior Vashil skills
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Quote from: wh on March 26, 2014, 10:47:12 AM
6-10 Butler freshman Nolan Berry has announced that he will be transferring. Despite not playing much this year, IMO he has definite potential. I think he's the 5th Butler player to quit the team since the beginning of this season. 

Would be a nice pickup, though I think he is/was more of a 4 than a 5 player in terms of position. 

From the tweets shown on Verbal Commits, Loyola's Porter Moser is going after Nolan Berry pretty hard already.
C'mon Valpo.....make it hard for Loyola to win that recruiting battle! He might also take a long look at playing near home and and land at SLU perhaps. From reading one tweet, if it is accurate, he did not like his position at Butler.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/nolan-berry

milanmiracle

Quote from: vufan75 on March 26, 2014, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: wh on March 26, 2014, 10:47:12 AM
...I think he's the 5th Butler player to quit the team since the beginning of this season. 

They're just trying to keep up with IU
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2014, 12:11:27 PM
Hopefully he is someone that we can consider, and can develop into someone with at least Junior Vashil skills

He'll never have Vahil's shot-blocking/rebounding/dunking skills, but he has excellent shooting/passing skills for his size.  After his sophomore season, he was top 50 by most rating services.  My analysis of what happened from there:
1.  As a senior in high school, breaks both his arms, putting him further behind in building strength.  As LAA might say, "strength is his weakness".
2.  Supposedly waivered on Butler after Stevens left, but decided to stay.
3.  Should have redshirted his freshman year to get better prepared for college, but with Jones hurt and Smeathers leaving before the season, Butler needed the body.
4.  Was forced to play most of his minutes at the 5 spot; wasn't ready for that in general, and certainly not against Big East bodies.

Add all that up and he's looking for a place where he can better utilize his skills.  If he uses his redshirt year next season to get stronger, I think he'll have a very good college career.  Most assume SLU is the leader as its home and his grandfather, Hall of Famer Ed McCauley, was a star at SLU before heading to the NBA.